Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Thompson 45acp Semi-auto

Boolit Bub

Thompson 45acp Semi-auto

A buddy of mine just purchased one of these. I believe its made by auto-ordinance? I mentioned that I thought it might be a good plinker using some 230gr cast bullets.
    The bullets have the same profile as hardball bullets so i'd think they would feed ok. Any opinions?
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but it was a military firearm.

Michael

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MLR View Post
    A buddy of mine just purchased one of these. I believe its made by auto-ordinance? I mentioned that I thought it might be a good plinker using some 230gr cast bullets.
    The bullets have the same profile as hardball bullets so i'd think they would feed ok. Any opinions?

Michael
    ...............Michael, I was able to shoot one of these probably 10 years ago. It was really nice looking, it was heavy, it didn't have any recoil to speak of, and best of all it was REALLY accurate. We were shooting cheap generic 'ball'. I can see no reason cast wouldn't be a natural in one of these. You'd need a little wagon dealie if you had one of these and a 50 round drum hooked on!!!!

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    Bought one many years ago, when they first came out. Polished the feed ramp some and have shot many a cast boolit through it. Mainly the "ball" clone boolit and the 200gr swc 452460 boolit. No trouble with it.

Your buddy is gonna need a Dillon 650 to feed the thing.

Boolit Master

Shot 2 years ago with FMJ and they were a BLAST! 1928A1, and the short barreled one without the front vert grip 30 rd sticks and 50 rd drum. Oh BTW they were both FULL AUTO!!!!

Boolit Man
    It should just chew up ball shaped ammo
    The stick mags seem to work with anything of that general shape

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    I have one of these. I feed a strict diet of 230grn LRN. Get prepared to spend alot of time at the reloading bench to keep up with the fun you will have at the range. I must admit, it is hard for me not to over heat the barrel. Funny how a 30 rd mag, empties so quickly.

Regards
    Everett

Boolit Master

2 buddies of mine have them and ive loaded them the hg #68 200 gr swc and both guns run fine. bob

Banned

Oooo I want one, but probably never happen..

Any idea what the semi auto is worth? I saw one hanging in a pawn shop the other day.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Crabo-Any idea what the semi auto is worth? I saw one hanging in a pawn shop the other day.
    I depends on the manufacturer, but I you find one for less than $600.00, in descent shape then you might want to (aka had better) jump on it. I have never had a rifle that was more fun in my life.

Regards,
    Everett

Boolit Buddy
    I've told myself I was going to splurge for a "big time" purchase when I come back off deployment. This one is towards the top of my list of possibilities. Other possibilities (in no particular order).

a. Kimber 84/8400 (cal TBD, probably 270 or 308, maybe 300 Win Mag)
    b. The best side by side 12 ga I can afford, ideally a Ruger, but I don't think I can afford that
    c. Browning 10 ga BPS
    d. Duck boat
    e. ???

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MLR View Post

Michael

I use a Lee 230 grain RNL mold for 1911 .45 ACP & .45 LC Rossie lever gun .

God bless
    Wyr