WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this from dirt in my lead?

Is this from dirt in my lead?

This is my second casting session. First session had a little bit of what you see in the picture, but this time it looked really bad. I was using a lee pro 20# bottom pour, lee 2 cavity molds, and bullplate sprue lube. I was fluxing with sawdust and using a paint stick to stir the lead. The lead was bought off a reputable member and the ignots looked clean. I was using 1-2% pewter with this lead. (cowws) I was thinking I need to drain and clean my pot, but am not sure. The pot was new when I got it, so this was only its second session. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

If this is in the wrong section, mods please feel free to move it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1417922026264.jpg  

Boolit Master

Shoot them.and see, don't look bad to me, some discoloration shouldn't hurt if fill out is good and they are in round. Contrary to the pics here not every boolit cast is museum quality inn the looks department.

Sure looks like dirt but hard to say for sure from the pix. Being a new pot, it could be scorched preservative oils from the pot; could be some residue from the sawdust. I am not a big fan of that method of fluxing. If you wish, remelt your pot of metal and put a table spoon of cooking oil on the surface once melted and stir that. Drop a match in with it so that the oil will burn and not smoke up every thing. When the burn is complete, use a spatula or similar tool and remove the dross from the surface. Cast and see if you don't have better luck.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try the cooking oil trick. I haven't shot any yet. One I PC them I will take them to the range and try them out. With the cooking oil, do you put anything else on the surface to keep the lead from oxidizing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nise View Post
    I don't think it'd be dirt, I'd be more inclined to agree with Dan on oils or whatnot.
    Could it be from the sprue lube. Could I be applying too much. I am rubbing bullplate on top of the mold block (where the sprue contacts) and on the bottom of the sprue plate. Inside the actual bullet molds look clean.

Boolit Master
    It looks like you alloy and temp are right. Try a different flux. The sawdust may not be doing what you need. Surf this thread for everything you ever wanted to know about fluxing;
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ect-of-fluxing
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Any dirt or leftover fluxing material (carbon or ash) should float to the top of your melt and not show up in your bullets with a bottom pour pot. I used some hallmarked pewter for tin once and had similar dark spots on my bullets but not as many as you have. Although it was hallmarked pewter I came to the conclusion it had some impurity I didn't want in my bullets. As already mentioned your bullets will probably shoot just fine. If you can try some roll solder for tin or cast some without adding the pewter and see if the spots go away.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    New pot - I'm with Dan Cash on this one. Melt - flux - skim - & cast a few more pots. If you run into a couple WW's that float when all the others have melted, pitch 'em. They are of another alloy and you don't need 'em in your mix. I bet it works out soon.

Boolit Master
    I would add to 725's comments also scrape the bottom and sides. Since your using a paint stick it will char and any loose pieces on the bottom or sides will be "pinned" there by the weight of the lead. Since you've already cleaned (fluxed) the lead in the smelting process, when your casting your concern is reducing the oxides and wax or oil will work for this without taking the chance of trapping carbon from your charred stick on the bottom. Clean your pot, add new alloy, try the wax/oil and see what happens.

Boolit Master
    If you have a new pot, you may be using a new mould. Did you clean the mould thoroughly prior to casting? May be oil in the mould from manufacturing processes. I wash my moulds with dawn dish detergent and hot water, scrub with a toothbrush and blow dry with compressed air. Make sure it is really dry, then preheat.

Boolit Grand Master
    CBMC

I'm sorry , I'd offer help but I can't see enough detail in your photo to really understand what the problem is ?

Sorry, my phone camera isn't that good. Here are a couple more pics. Thanks for all the responses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1417972215612.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1417972256270.jpg  

If you are pushing the sawdust down into the melt, this can cause what you are seeing. Paint sticks can as well. Someone will probably be along shortly to vehemently disagree, but this has been my experience. I still use sawdust, but just stir it around on top rather than submerging it and I use an old stainless spoon to stir with.

I no longer have problems with clogged/dripping spout issues, either.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Inclusions look like dirt or more likly flux material. I never use sawdust in my casting pots. Leaves too much stuff behind and I have found it on the sides and bottom. I know it is supposed to "float" but it does not always!

I use ONLY beeswax as a flux in my casting pot. A pea-sized piece if perfect! I do it when I add more feed ingots. Or when I see an Sn dull coating forming on the top. Beeswax turns the top mirror shiny like magic by putting the alloys back into the mix. All my ingots are guaranteed 110% clean, as I make them!

Try cleaning your pot, then skipping the sawdust and try some beeswax. For me and I know others, it works like magic, does not normally flair up (unless you are way too hot!) and smells great.

Let us know.

bangerjim

Quote Originally Posted by dg31872 View Post
    If you have a new pot, you may be using a new mould. Did you clean the mould thoroughly prior to casting? May be oil in the mould from manufacturing processes. I wash my moulds with dawn dish detergent and hot water, scrub with a toothbrush and blow dry with compressed air. Make sure it is really dry, then preheat.
    I find that when I preheat my mold on a single burner, the mold dries off really quick.

I never flux in my casting pot to clean the lead. I clean the lead in a separate pot using wax and then pour ingots from that. Only clean lead goes into my casting pot.

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely have some ideas. Now I just have to get out in the cold and do them.

Boolit Master

Are you water dropping the boolits? I've seen this with water dropped, goes away when dropping onto towel. It has come up before and the guess is that it could be minerals in the water.

Banned

Same thing happens to me when I water drop the bullets

Perma-Banned

Seconds on the beeswax. I use sawdust for my bulk processing. I use a dab of beeswax in the pot. It works for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Same thing happens to me when I water drop the bullets
    I WD all of my boolits just to cool them off. Have never seen anything like that B4! And I use swimming pool water to drop in! Just scoop some out and go at it. Talk about high mineral content!!!!!!!

I still feel it is sawdust that is causing it and possibly some residual dirt in the pot or in the ingots?

banger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast