WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Lead Dipper quality

Boolit Master

RCBS Lead Dipper quality

I thought I'd treat myself to some quality equipment last week, so I ordered an RCBS Lead Dipper. It arrived today, oh my.

The pour spout hole is drilled off center.

The spout is ground at all sorts of angles, and the hole is sort of an ellipse with high and low sides and a really high side that looks like it would leak lead when I put it against an RCBS sprue plate hole.

The metal handle grommet is loose and the stain and finish job on the handle wouldn't even pass muster at Middle School wood shop.

Funny thing is, I bought an air gun manufactured in the same country for $35 that has a perfectly cut crown, and beautifully rifled .177 bore, but for $25 RCBS's OEM cannot drill a hole straight or grind a cone even. What kind of profit margin is on each item?

I thought I was going to treat myself to a Rock Chucker Supreme soon, but meanwhile Lee is making their cast iron presses in America that no one complains about.

I've seen this happen before, a company trades on their good name with, uh, new sources for their goods, and make a higher profit margin right into bankruptcy, because no one buys their product anymore. Than the old stuff goes for big $$$ on fleabay and everyone talks about the good old days when that brand was actually worth something.

I'll call RCBS tomorrow, not because I expect them to make good on it, but just to give them a piece of my mind. Then, I'll get one of them purty quality ladles I saw here on this board. What was the manufacturer again?

-HF

PS I put pictures in my Album but they just aren't show up here.

Boolit Grand Master
    RCBS will treat you right ! ! Don't worry a minute...............

Ben

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    RCBS will treat you right ! ! Don't worry a minute...............

Ben
    Called RCBS, tech spoke to manager and got permission to send me a replacement head, inspected by them, without me having to return the one I have first. I thanked him but I'm thinking, "don't do me no favors".

Never had to send anything else back to RCBS, unless they really wanted to see what was wrong, even then we cross-shipped.

I suggest some design improvements, like interference threads so that the stem won't unscrew so easily from the ladle. He said he'd pass it on but I didn't hear keys clicking or handwriting going on.

Sorry about my attitude, but the fact that there's no "Inspected by" tag in the box says it all. At pennies per product, its easier to replace it then fix the problems, and the quite absent quality inspector is just one more US job lost. Never mind the affect on the company reputation.

-HF

Boolit Master
    RCBS is now made in China, enjoy the quality.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    How long ago did they switch?

I'm getting tired of this junk from overseas. The other day I bought an LED flashlight from Cabelas. I somehow missed the "made in China" on the package. It worked for a grand total of 30 seconds before it started flickering from a loose connection.

Chris.

Boolit Master

I've had my eye on the RC Supreme ever since it came out, then I thought I'd have to get a Lee to buy American iron but then I remembered... Redding still makes cast iron presses too. Still made in America?

Their service isn't quite as freebie as RCBS, but then again, I've never needed anything from Redding fixed, just wanted spare parts like more die boxes for loose dies. Got "factory seconds" for 1/2 price, and they threw in the labels I wanted as well. Look like new to me...

-HF

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    I'm getting tired of this junk from overseas. The other day I bought an LED flashlight from Cabelas. I somehow missed the "made in China" on the package. It worked for a grand total of 30 seconds before it started flickering from a loose connection.
    What many US companies don't realize is, in China quality control is primarily the customers responsibility. That is, they expect you to hire your own inspectors and have them work in their plant. If you've read about Mauser and Westinghouse with their Russian contracts, you know what I'm talking about. The Russians sent men to live at the factory and inspect each and every rifle as it came off the line.

That is why so many American companies end up with Egg on the face when they first start marketing Chinese products. "But, the preproduction samples looked so good!"

-HF

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    How long ago did they switch?

Chris.
    I don't know when they switched, sorry. I bought all Redding dies including the crimp only for the Ruger 45 LC I'm building. These aren't the first Redding dies I bought. I have several sets for rifles and I really like them. If you get a chance inspect some at a retail shop and you will see what I mean. I once had a problem with a sizing die and called them, they shipped me a new one "Overnight mail" !!. Can't beat that. Only problem I ever had with them, says a lot in my book.

Friend of mine (44Man) uses Hornady, I'm going to try and convert him, LOL.

Chris if you are looking for a flashlight, man buy one of the LED flash lights.

I bought a "StreamLight" that holds 4AA batteries in 2002. I use it as a bedroom light and everything else. In all that time I have only changed the batteries 4 times! When you reach for it, it WORKS!! Highly recommend.

Better get used to the lack of quality these days, the Sock Monkey is driving all the American Manufacturing jobs to other countries
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master
    RCBS was having their CASTINGS done in China, but have changed back to U.S. castings. This is according to a Dillon rep. on the Enos forums.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    RCBS was having their CASTINGS done in China, but have changed back to U.S. castings. This is according to a Dillon rep. on the Enos forums.
    Was he talking about presses and/or casting dippers? Because my new production dipper is marked Made in China, and it sure looks it.

-HF
    Last edited by HangFireW8; 02-05-2010 at 09:23 PM.

anachronism
    I got a bad one too. Same complaints. It's going back to Midway.

I was going to get an RCBS ladle. Guess I am glad I didn't. What about the ladles Roto Metals sells? Any good?
    Μολὼν λαβέ!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by davcar45 View Post
    What about the ladles Roto Metals sells? Any good?
    If you're talking about the Rowell ladles, I like all 6 of mine.

#1 long- for most bullets
    #1 short- same only with shorter handle to maneuver easier in certain pots
    #2- retains heat better for outdoor bullet casting in cooler weather, also used for large sinker moulds
    #3- small ingot moulds
    #5- larger ingots
    #7- pigs/blocks

IMO, money well-spent. I would not trade any of them. Clean castings. Very high quality. Very well-designed. Hold heat well. Easy to use. And on and on and on and on...

I wish I knew that before I ordered some RCBS stuff.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Boolit Buddy

Do you KNOW if that statement is 100% accurate?? Or is it just the ladles? Or just the castings? Or did they go to China and now are back to using American castings as one poster stated?

After many years of outstanding service from RCBS I intend to find out!

Boolit Bub
    Does someone know if their molds (RCBS) are made here or in china

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cigg52 View Post
    Does someone know if their molds (RCBS) are made here or in china
    My RCBS moulds say Made in the USA on the box.

Chris.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by doghawg View Post
    Do you KNOW if that statement is 100% accurate?? Or is it just the ladles? Or just the castings? Or did they go to China and now are back to using American castings as one poster stated?

After many years of outstanding service from RCBS I intend to find out!
    I have not seen any RCBS items marked "Made in China" except cast iron forgings and electronics. Everything else is marked "Made in USA". That is what the packages are marked, take that for what its worth.

-HF

Bet you can't prove that!!!
    Douglas, Ret.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast