WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Not exactly a recipe but..... grinder blade?

Not exactly a recipe but..... grinder blade?

Could anyone tell me what kind of blade I need for this grinder? this is my first grinder and I am pretty sure there should be a blade. Picked it up at an antique store. Made in usa, keystone brand, and has a 30 cast into the frame.

You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Might be cheaper to buy a complete grinder from here. http://meatgrinderpro.com/keystone-meat-grinder/

$9.99 for a complete grinder. Same as the one you have.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    Could anyone tell me what kind of blade I need for this grinder?
    It looks complete to me.
    you have 3 blades shown in the photos.
    the one with the biggest holes is course
    the one with the smallest holes is fine.
    Good Luck.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Yep, it would appear on this model that the knife is built in, and the grinder plates spin with the auger.

Clean it and crank it...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

The outside or cutter blade looks like a 12 point or so star with square points. Check out the thrift shops and you might find one. I converted a few of these to motor drive and use to have spare parts but they are all gone now to the antique market.

I have used it before, many months ago, and I think the root cause of my problem was that my meat was not trimmed well enough. I was having to clear out the jamming constantly, and that was with near frozen meat. Is there a way to sharpen it at all?
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Moderator Emeritus

The sharpest edges don't seem to "cut" the silverskin on Deer type game meat...So that clogs up the grinder and needs continual cleaning. I'm assuming that's your problem ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    The sharpest edges don't seem to "cut" the silverskin on Deer type game meat...So that clogs up the grinder and needs continual cleaning. I'm assuming that's your problem ?
    Probably... I might take a pork shoulder out of the freezer to trim up, cut up, then refreeze and try again. This is my first grinder so there is a learning curve.
    Last edited by silverado; 12-06-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Also last time I used it I cleaned off the rust first, then cleaned it up good and put it in the garage.... that explains the rust... I would not prepare food with rusty tools lol

Moderator Emeritus

another thought.
    how tight can you tighten the blade ?
    if there is slop (space between the knives and the grinder), it's not gonna shear the meat cleanly and may clog up due to that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    another thought.
    how tight can you tighten the blade ?
    if there is slop (space between the knives and the grinder), it's not gonna shear the meat cleanly and may clog up due to that.
    yup, keep it tight on the "back" end. harder to crank but it cuts way better.

Moderator Emeritus

You could stone the plates on a very flat block then touch up the hole edges for sharpness but it may not work if to much material needs removing.

Banned

you have ambition anyway. I used to use a manual grinder and doing more the 5lbs was a workout. Even the cheaper power grinders aren't real good at doing untrimmed venison that's thawed. My big one will grind anything as fast as you can feed it but then it cost more then I could justify if I wasn't grinding a couple hundred lbs a year. I have an old one under the kitchen sink like yours and I hope it never has to be used again.

Moderator Emeritus
    It's complete. As was mentioned, venison clogs up grinders pretty quickly, even when trimmed.

Vendor Sponsor

Decent electric grinders are cheap and plentiful these days, both new or used. Let the past be the past and get a replacement. Ask Santa for one!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Just about all meat will clog things, silver skin is a pain in the... I ground up a butt not to long ago for breakfast sausage patties with my manual #10 grinder and got a workout. Only harder workout is grinding flour, I have to order the flywheel pulley for that thing and motorize it!

Boolit Master

The one you show in the OP is a kitchen grinder for light stuff. We had a couple when I was growing up. I still have a couple around, somewhere. For relishes, cooked meats, etc. You will really get frustrated trying to grind any amount of raw meat. The old meat grinders were big with long bodies and long worm gears to get some thrust on the meat. They also had true cutters on them. Like this.

Attachment 124049
    We tried a small electric meat grinder and spent hours unclogging that thing. Made sausage, but it was a pain. I've got a 5 1/2 quart Kitchen Aid mixer with a meat grinder attachment, it really doesn't work, either. If you got some buddies, see if any are interested in going in to get a good one. That's a possible solution. I don't mean to be a naysayer or be a spoil sport, just speaking from experience.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Thanks for the replies, I ended up grinding some trimmed boneless beef finger meat and used it in chili, not too, bad, but it wasn't the best either. I have a trimmed and cubed pork shoulder in the freezer to make some sausage out of, probably this weekend

Boolit Bub

Warning silverado, grinding meat can become as addictive as casting and reloading. It starts out just grinding a little venison to make a pot of chile.
    Before ya know it your making hamburger, then breakfast sausage which leads to stuffing casings for smoked sausage, which leads to gutting an old fridge to make a smoker because now you have to have a way to smoke your sausage.
    Ask me how I know! But it is fun and rewarding.