Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massive 7.85 million recall for popular US gun

Boolit Grand Master

Massive 7.85 million recall for popular US gun

Banned

In the main case in question, a mother took gun out of safety while it was pointed at her 9 year old son. Sad, but avoidable.

That is good read. Let's hope the new design is still smooth, but more safe!!
    Using Tapatalk

I heard of this a while back. I've read if you send in the recalled gun they will put a sweet 8 pound trigger in it for you. I've decided to pass on that and will put an aftermarket trigger in ours. Sad but avoidable situations. What's the first rule of gun safety?
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm glad they finally admitted it. And sad that many people died and got hurt before they did. It was a coverup decades in the making. Their internal memos prove this but people still act like nothing was wrong. If there was one flaw in Walker's design it's that the trigger is to good.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    I heard of this a while back. I've read if you send in the recalled gun they will put a sweet 8 pound trigger in it for you. I've decided to pass on that and will put an aftermarket trigger in ours. Sad but avoidable situations. What's the first rule of gun safety?
    If you read about it before, it had to be the x mark trigger. I imagine there were quite a few, but the number pales compared to this recall dating back to the forties.

Banned

must be the Remington recall.
    it's been in effect for a bunch of years.
    the designer said it was a bad design before it was even released.

In Remembrance
    The class action suit that forced this recall was not even filed until 2013, and was just settled in the last day or two. This recall is about to start, not the same one that has gone on for years.

Banned

good to know...

I got a Remington rifle.
    it's pretty/relatively/kinda new, it even has a little j-hook window in the bolt shroud.
    i'll have to see what this whole thing is about.

Boolit Buddy
    So this is a new recall unrelated to the recent one with excess epoxy on triggers?

Boolit Master
    I once repaired and refinished an extremely rusty Savage .32 auto pistol. after a good cleaning and freeing up the action I found that if you pulled the trigger while the safety was on it didn't fire but if you then realesed the safety it fired without again touching the trigger.
    In that case it was due to the front of the frame having spread so the slide was not held to the frame properly. After squeezing the frame back to its proper dimensions the safety and firing mechanism worked perfectly.
    So long as these pistols are in good condition they are as safe as any other pistol but the design allowed a very dangerous situation to develop after much use and little maintenance.

The Remington 700 trigger and safety worked okay almost all the time, but almost just isn't good enough when it comes to firearms safety.
    Personally I never liked the look, feel, or finish (matter of taste only, those I've seen close up were too glossy and the grain was obscured) of those Rem 700 rifles I've run across over the years, so I'm unlikely to buy one regardless of whether the safety works or not.
    Not saying its a bad rifle, it certainly has an excellent reputation in all other aspects, its just not the rifle for me.

The light trigger pull was a selling point of the 700, they seem to have put trigger pull ahead of safety. I've never seen a hair trigger that would not become unsafe after a bit of wear.
    If a man needs a hair trigger to shoot straight he needs to work on his technique.
    I used the old target pistol method of balancing .38 Special cases mouth to mouth and putting them between trigger finger and web of the thumb. Motor skills developed that way improve your trigger control with rifles as well.

Better a bit of weight and travel but every thing smooth with crisp break.
    A rifle with a hair trigger should only be used on a range and never loaded unless pointed down range with no one lolly gagging around down that way.
    A double set trigger is better for hunting.

Boolit Master
    About 25-30 years ago a friend of mine bought a 700 and found that the rifle would fire when cocked, safety engaged, then the safety moved to the fire position without the trigger being touched. This unexplained discharge happened several times over the first year he had the rifle. He finally got mad (scared?) enough to make a complaint to the company which had sold him the rifle, and they communicated with Remington about repairs. Remington's supposed answer was "we would have repaired it for you free, but you waited over a year after the purchase so now we will repair it at YOUR expense." The owner boiled and refused to pay the repair costs and kept the rifle. I offered to put an after-market trigger on the rifle but he refused the offer. I haven't spoken with him in a long time, not sure what he did with the rifle or whether he still owns it. If he still has that rifle it is past time for him to make a responsible decision and have it made safe.

Thin Man

Boolit Master
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned

It is more about putting a gun business out of business than anything else. Cars are the same way. Guess why all cars and trucks have to have back up cameras here in a year or two. Because some dumb lady did not look behind her when she was backing up and ran over her kid. Same reason these people shot others, they did not practice gun safety.

A friend of mine had one of these guns about 5 or 6 years ago. When you took it off safe it would go off.
    At least he was smart enough to point it in a safe direction.
    Remington fixed it for him back then.

Barber would have done way more for his son by getting shooting lessons for his wife. ANYTIME someone is hit with a bullet, its because the gun was pointed at them, PERIOD.

I had one of those 700's go off in my hands, been nearly 50 years ago now. I still remember the panic I felt. I was 12 or 13 years old and had tried to shoot a deer with the safety on. When I figured out the safety was on and pushed it forward, off it went. Finger was not any where near the trigger at that point. I also have had a number of people over the years walk in front of me when I had a loaded gun in my hands. Right there, I am Mrs. Barber, except both things didn't happen to me at the same time. Anymore, I don't put a shell in the barrel unless I'm ready to shoot and take it out when the opportunity is gone, if I have anybody else around me. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember in Barbers case the kid walked out from behind the truck or a horse trailer just at the wrong time. Is there anybody here who that couldn't have happened to when you are unloading a gun? I guess we should all point them at the ground but how many do?
    kootne

Boolit Grand Master

If you don't point a firearm at someone its hard to shoot anyone
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

It all come is to that the lube that they use gum up and cause the problem.I have one and talk with my gunsmith about it and he said he will look at it and i went home to bring it in and then he took the gun stock and see where the lube that they use gum up and he said after all is done that I was close to have the problem that is going on now.After he clean the gun complete and all and re lube it the way it should be that I do not have any more thinking about the problem now.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    Barber would have done way more for his son by getting shooting lessons for his wife. ANYTIME someone is hit with a bullet, its because the gun was pointed at them, PERIOD.
    While yes the rifle may have had some problems, but let's not blame others for your lack of disrespect for safety. Take responsibility for your actions, and lack there of, don't blame other's.

Super Moderator

I have an older Model 700 30-06, bought it used. I have never had any such problems with it, and don't expect to. I like the safety, it's one of the quietest out there and mine works just fine. Mine won't be going back to Remington.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast