RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22LR vs. .22WMR vs. .22Hornet vs. .22 K-Hornet

Boolit Master

.22LR vs. .22WMR vs. .22Hornet vs. .22 K-Hornet

So I am looking around to get a .22 caliber rifle, and was looking at the Savage Mark II FVSR, but with the .22LR shortage, I have found more .22WMR around in stock and for cheaper than LR. As a plinking/squirrel gun, is the .22WMR the better gun? I know it's a bit longer than the LR, but that's about all I know about it.

Now because I load, I was thinking about the Hornet and k-hornet as well, but I know absolutely nil about either one except they're centerfire, and cute little rounds. What's the difference with the k-hornet? More powder capacity? What capabilities over the rim fire .22's do the hornets have?
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post

So I am looking around to get a .22 caliber rifle, and was looking at the Savage Mark II FVSR, but with the .22LR shortage, I have found more .22WMR around in stock and for cheaper than LR.

As a plinking/squirrel gun, is the .22WMR the better gun ? - Neither better nor worse - Just a more powerful rimfire round

I know it's a bit longer than the LR, but that's about all I know about it. - The .22WMR is also fatter than the S/L/LR series, to accommodate it's non-heeled boolit(s)

Now because I load, I was thinking about the Hornet and k-hornet as well, but I know absolutely nil about either one except they're centerfire, and cute little rounds.

What's the difference with the k-hornet ? More powder capacity ? - Yes, enabled via a blown out case shoulder

What capabilities over the rim fire .22's do the hornets have ? - They afford the capability of tackling game somewhat larger then the typical small game animal.

Your US state may/may not allow centerfire rifles for small game hunting, or rstrict their use to only certain times of the year - so check with your state's game laws before you decide.

Boolit Master
    Arisaka99,

You need to take the following for what it may be worth.

Unless you wish to hand load, I'd buy the .22LR.

For me, the 22 mag or the .17s are just to close to the price of a centerfire handload to bother with when you consider the potential end results.

But then I have been a handloader since the 60s.

I do have 4 .22LR firearms, a couple of handguns and two very accurate rifles. One Clark Custom 77/22 and a RUGER 10/22 that I ended up tricking out and barreling with a Feddersen barrel. VERY accurate.

I think I might be tempted to move up from the Hornet to say, .204, .222, 223. Load em down if they are a bit fast for you.

The "K" Hornet is simply an improved case with the body taper blown out and a much sharper shoulder.

Drop in a standard Hornet round into the "K" Hornet chamber, pull the trigger and extract a "K" Hornet case. Simple enough.

Both should be fun!

I have owned a .223 and a 22/250 in the past, and they were fun. Especially the 22/250.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master

I have a standard 22 Hornet (not a K version) and find I shoot it more now than my LR.22's. The Hornet shoots VERY flat compared to the standard LR22's. I don't need the extra zip of a K-Hornet. I think if you got your hands on a good 22 Hornet you would not be sorry and you would not be going back to the LR 22's.
    The Hornet is very easy to reload for, but you do have to pay attention because the brass is very thin and easily kinked or damaged.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Good info atr, thanks!

CDOC

In Remembrance
    I thought the advantage to the K hornet was brass life.
    Some of my old manuals list as little as 2 grains red dot in a hornet cast load, there is not much cheaper shooting available.

Boolit Master
    22 LR: We pretty know how that one has ended up. Hopefully supplies smooth out but they haven't thus far.

22 WMR: I like this one a lot but it's expensive .......... but it DOES perform, it kills way over it's numbers ..... the bullet construction is much better than the lowly .22 LR and that's the secret to it's capabilities.

.22 Hornet: Good performance but if not managed properly, brass life is short

22 K Hornet: A little more velocity over the standard Hornet but brass life is said to be quite a bit better.

22 CCM: Said to be dead but it's not. This one is a bit more than a .22 WMR but it's centerfire. I believe a boutique bullet maker in California makes this brass. If you can stand the brass cost ....... you'd have a real tiger by the tail with this one.

.221 Fireball: Here is a real option as well. Much more performance and you can load it down even better than .222 or .223

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    to me I would get a .22 k hornet if I was getting a single shot. I would get a .221 fireball or .222 or .223 if I was getting a bolt action repeater. The rimfires are for people who will use factory ammo, good to have some of each.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Just know that if/when ammo and component supplies again ease, the smart folk will have a stash and not be crying their eyes out when availability is again affected by a clinton error or another obamanation.

Yes, if the brass is properly sized, the "K" Hornet should give a bit better brass life along with a bit higher velocity.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Banned

The Hornet is neat. A 45 grain cast bullet and 1.5-2 grains of Bullseye is cheaper to shoot that a .22 LR. I use a necj sizer die so I think my brass will last a long time, but the K Hornet shoulder is said to improve brass life.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The Hornet is neat. A 45 grain cast bullet and 1.5-2 grains of Bullseye is cheaper to shoot that a .22 LR. I use a necj sizer die so I think my brass will last a long time, but the K Hornet shoulder is said to improve brass life.
    I have not done cast with my Hornet's nest (10" & 20" in 'tenders) but I do use the collet die after they have been fireformed.

I am thinking about getting them "K'ed" but I wonder if the Lee collet die will work with them. I have read claims that it will.

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Master

So is the hornet too much for squirrels and other small game?
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

ADMIN

The problem with any of the hornet variety is brass availability.

Hornet has issues or at least for me with loading. I end up trashing one case out of two hundred.
    Mostly due to the bullet crushing the case on seating.
    I do have a new powder funnel for my 550b that will fix that problem.

I am going to toss out something you haven't mentioned.
    22 TCM
    There is a 1911 pistol in that caliber and they are producing a bolt action rifle that is just now coming into the market place.

Uses 5.56/223 brass cut down and renecked to 223. You could use 300 blackout brass as well.
    45 grain bullet going 2k fps out of the pistol and almost 2900 fps out of the rifle.
    The round has been loaded down to under 1500fps.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

In Remembrance
    Hornet is great for squirrels and small game, you can load it to 22 lr or 22 magnum velocities, whichever you like.

Boolit Master
    I just went through this same decision process when trying to figure out a .22 barrel for my Contender pistol. I already had a .22LR, and was considering all the ones you mentioned, and then decided to just get a .223 barrel because it will allow loads that are anywhere from .22 LR subsonic on up to beating the .22 K-Hornet slightly. It also avoids the hassle of trying to find Hornet brass. However, if the Hornet and K-Hornet didn't have qualities of their own, they would have been obsolete when the .222 and .223 were introduced, so they must have some redeeming qualities that I just haven't had a chance to experience--yet.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

After owning 2 hornet rifles and having 2 contender hornet barrels , if i were doing it all over again i would go with the K hornet, then all the problems with the standard hornet case & headspace is solved along with longer case life.
    A TIP - try small pistol primers and only neck size the brass to the depth of the bullet seating depth .
    you can load from 22lr velocties to almost 3,000 fps and its accurate .
    I really like the hornet and have had at least one for about 40 years.

Boolit Master
    One thing that helps the mouths of Hornet cases is to inside bevel with a VLD (very low drag) chamfering tool.

You can tell them at a glance, as they are longer nosed.

The other thing is to not rush running the case into a sizer die. If you snag the mouth on the shoulder of the case expander (where the decapping pin fastens) you will ruin the case.

One thing Hornets are great at: saving gun powder while vanquishing varmints!

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master

Chris, somewhere you have a target you shot with my Browning T-Bolt at the C2 range. You were shooting a 22Mag. It's a sweet little rifle in a sweet little cartridge, but I won't turn up my nose at a Hornet if I get the chance.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

My very first reload was the .22 Hornet.

I loved that rifle.

Ten years later I had a K Hornet. Loved it too.

I would not pay extra for the "K" nor would I have a Hornet converted.

ESPECIALLY if you plan to load it down.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger 22WMR rifle and it is much too destructive for squirrel hunting. If you are going to use it, use the FMJ not the HP, but even so, it is more than necessary. Use a 22LR or a shotgun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast