Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22LR vs. .22WMR vs. .22Hornet vs. .22 K-Hornet

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    One thing that helps the mouths of Hornet cases is to inside bevel with a VLD (very low drag) chamfering tool.

You can tell them at a glance, as they are longer nosed.

The other thing is to not rush running the case into a sizer die. If you snag the mouth on the shoulder of the case expander (where the decapping pin fastens) you will ruin the case.

One thing Hornets are great at: saving gun powder while vanquishing varmints!

Three 44s
    I suspect that this is the reason for most brass failure when reloading the Hornet. It might be possible to slightly streamline that shoulder by spinning it on a grinding wheel or belt sander.

The factory Hornet round with expanding bullet is too destructive for small game you want to eat. But light cast reloads won't be, and I think they will produce little or no brass lengthening, which is the other limitation on the standard Hornet's brass life.

I doubt if the .22 rimfire shortage will last long, or be repeated. If something of the kind comes up again, it is just as likely to be small rifle primers, and you need one of either whatever you shoot. I tend to think of the .22 rimfire magnum as a slightly pointless way of falling between two stools. It might have some point for the non-reloader who has a need for long shots at the inedible. In theory the inside lube round could be made more accurate than the heel bullet Long Rifle, as could the obsolete .22 WRF. But I don't think either of them ever were.

A snare and a delusion, in my opinion, are the various hypervelocity rounds made for the .22LR chamber. They could be loaded to give higher velocity with the same bullet, but aren't, because people would inevitably use them in old guns which are unsuitable for higher pressure. Instead they use a lighter and usually very hollow bullet to produce more velocity and energy as approximately LR pressures.

CCI Stingers are the ones I know best. Their energy advantage over Eley .22 LR High Velocity is about all gone at 100 yards. When fired into water, a HV solid impacts sideways and fairly lightly on a rock after about 16in. A hollow point begins expanding in the water, and impacts nose first with similar force at around half that distance. But the Stinger, at 8in., flies to pieces and doesn't reach the 8in. rock. The largest piece is a small button which was the base of that thimble shaped bullet. I'd say they give more leeway for bullet placement on small game at longish rimfire ranges. But they don't give longer range, and they don't give you a better chance with larger game.

Boolit Grand Master
    My opinion is that nothing will replace a standard .22LR without a lot of work. Sure you can load the smaller center fires down, but some states only allow rimfires, airguns and shotguns for hunting small game. Try explaining to the game warden that you have loaded to match the rimfire ballistics. You might get lucky and not get a ticket, might not too.

With the .22LR you can shoot just about any rabbit or squirrel and not get too much bloodshot meat, .22 WMR or equivalent, not so much. The .22 WRF can be used as a subload in a .22 WMR chamber, but they are pretty pricy as well.

I really don't see much need for more power than the .22LR or (even the .22 Short) for small game hunting. I like to get close, that is why we call it hunting and not shooting. The two longest shots I have ever taken at squirrels were about 45 yards and 50 yards. The 45 yard shot was with a .22 Short HP, the 50 yarder was with a tight choked 16 gauge Savage.

For actual hunting, a 50 or 100 round box of .22's will last for quite a while.

For plinking, the way things are today, a center fire makes sense.

Robert

Banned

I hunted quite a bit as a kid with a .22 WMR and came to the conclusion it was too destructive with hollow points on edible game and didn't kill as soundly as a .22 LR HP with solid points. It was great on things like ground squirrels I didn't plan to eat.

I'm messing with light loads in the .22 Hornet and love it. Haven't shot any game with it, but have no doubt any of the bullets I have used will work fine. Best so far is the WFN 45 grain NOE group buy with about two grains of Bullseye. I haven't wrecked a case yet, not sure why every one says that's a problem. Those Lee collet neck sizer dies along with the universal expander die seem to take the problem away and that is all I've used.

Boolit Grand Master

The hornet is a fine round, quiet, economical, accurate, and easy to load. It can be loaded to duplicate the 22 lr fairly easily or upwards for bigger varmints. Use of the appropriate bullets for the cartridge is a must. Lighter constructed bullets shine at its velocities on varmints but would damage edible meat on game, a good cast bullet loaded down would greatly lower this. Remeber the vvarmint loads and bullets are meant for rapid expansion and the bullets break up violently. A good Hornet is a very nice rifle and round light soft recoil and low report. Cases can be hard to find at times and are thinner weaker buy 200 of them and handle them with a little care they will last a long time. Another good cartridge in this class that is alot of fun and very versatile is the 218 bee. A .222 rem can also be considered for what you want to accomplish.

Boolit Master
    There are two quite different reasons for limited brass life with the Hornet. Impact on the expander button is something I heard of for the first time above, and I can't see why it wouldn't be the same with the straighter-bodied K Hornet.

The other way is head separation due to brass lengthening. I once had the opportunity to section standard and Ackley Improved .300 Savage cases, and found something really interesting.

With the standard, somewhat tapered case, the largest internal diameter is just in front of the solid web. If I understand it correctly, the case forward of that point tends to drift forward under pressure, and rear of that point is forced rearward. Not surprisingly that point is just where an often loaded case may tear along the dotted line. The Improved case, on the other hand, has its widest internal diameter at the shoulder. Stretching is likely to be distributed along about an inch and a half of brass. The steeper shoulder may also impede the ability of brass to move forward.

The Non-K Hornet is a particularly carrot-shaped cartridge by modern standards. But I think it would be virtually eliminated by loads approaching rimfire performance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    There are two quite different reasons for limited brass life with the Hornet. Impact on the expander button is something I heard of for the first time above, and I can't see why it wouldn't be the same with the straighter-bodied K Hornet.

The other way is head separation due to brass lengthening. I once had the opportunity to section standard and Ackley Improved .300 Savage cases, and found something really interesting.

With the standard, somewhat tapered case, the largest internal diameter is just in front of the solid web. If I understand it correctly, the case forward of that point tends to drift forward under pressure, and rear of that point is forced rearward. Not surprisingly that point is just where an often loaded case may tear along the dotted line. The Improved case, on the other hand, has its widest internal diameter at the shoulder. Stretching is likely to be distributed along about an inch and a half of brass. The steeper shoulder may also impede the ability of brass to move forward.

The Non-K Hornet is a particularly carrot-shaped cartridge by modern standards. But I think it would be virtually eliminated by loads approaching rimfire performance.
    I have never had a hornet case separate mine always fail with neck splits or burn thru's on the neck just in front of the shoulder. Annealing has helped with the splits and I get more life but if brass was more available I might skip the anneal and just get more new brass. I mostly neck size only and I haven't crunched one during sizing or seating in a long time.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

What molds are you guys finding work the best?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    What molds are you guys finding work the best?
    I only have two .22 caliber moulds, a LRN w/gc from Lyman and a 45 grain LFN plain base from NOE. I can't say what works best, what do you want it to do?

Tim

Banned

I recently got the NOE 45 grain WFN, plain based. Intial work with it seems like it shoots real well with the light loads I'm using. I had good luck with the Lee Bator mold without gas checks in the same light loads. I tried two Lyman molds, the 225438 and another I can't remember the number of right now, but it's a pretty common one.

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I only have two .22 caliber moulds, a LRN w/gc from Lyman and a 45 grain LFN plain base from NOE. I can't say what works best, what do you want it to do?

Tim
    I am trying to decide on my next rifle. I want something to shoot flatter and farther than the 22 mag, but with less muzzle report like the 223. I am thinking the hornet is the way to go. There are times there are 3 or so in the back of a truck and don't want to be busting everyone's eardrums.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    I am trying to decide on my next rifle. I want something to shoot flatter and farther than the 22 mag, but with less muzzle report like the 223. I am thinking the hornet is the way to go. There are times there are 3 or so in the back of a truck and don't want to be busting everyone's eardrums.
    The Hornet still requires hearing protection. I don't have the book or even know the title but a friend loaned me a book about suppressor and it had data on sound power and sound pressure from various guns with and without suppressors. I am guessing when you say "There are times there are 3 or so in the back of a truck..." I assume you mean people and that you will be shooting near them and they will not have hearing protection. That is a bad idea unless you have an effective suppressor, a single shot from a .22 hornet will cause minor but permanent hearing damage and the effects are cumulative.

Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    So I am looking around to get a .22 caliber rifle, and was looking at the Savage Mark II FVSR, but with the .22LR shortage, I have found more .22WMR around in stock and for cheaper than LR. As a plinking/squirrel gun, is the .22WMR the better gun? I know it's a bit longer than the LR, but that's about all I know about it.

Now because I load, I was thinking about the Hornet and k-hornet as well, but I know absolutely nil about either one except they're centerfire, and cute little rounds. What's the difference with the k-hornet? More powder capacity? What capabilities over the rim fire .22's do the hornets have?
    I have a Kimber Mini Classic 22 LR and a Savage Anshutz 22 Mag that I have had for decades. About five years ago I bought a CZ 527 22 Hornet and have not looked back. All of these are great guns that I have shot literally thousands of prairie dogs and rock chucks with.

The CZ Hornet is closer to a 222 or 223 the way I load it, which is 40 gr V-max at 3,250 over our Oehlers. I really like it a lot and anymore use it almost exclusively when I am by myself shooting rockchucks in central Washington.

I have a 4-20 scope on it and would buy a CZ Hornet in Varmint weight barrel if they made one avaialable because I have to turn the power down on my scope in order to see where the bullets hit. I'm thinking of getting a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet, but if they made a 527 Varmint in 22 Hornet it would be a done deal.

I have no need for or interest in a K Hornet. My standard Hornet pushes a 40 gr V-max at an honest 3,250 (we have two Oehler chronographs and if they say 3,250 you can take that to the bank) and the load I use is straight out of a loading manual.

I can put 200 loaded rounds in my right BDU coat pocket and walk around a prairie dog town for a couple hours with just my rifle, Harris Bipod, range finder and compact binocular and put the empties in my left pocket after I shoot them. I have a set of custom made ear plugs with double industrial filters that I wear when walking around shooting the Hornet.

That is why the Hornet over a 223 or 222 for a walking around rifle, the ammo is just to bulky/heavy to put 200 rounds in a jacket pocket.

For squirrel and gopher shooting it depends on what range you are shooting whether a Hornet will be a better choice than a 22 Mag will be a better choice than a 22 LR. For either rockchuck or prairie dog shooting it isn't even a close call.

If you are having case life issues, you may want to make sure you are not sizing the brass any more than absolutely necessary. Also, Lil' Gun operates at far lower pressures than other powders when pushing for high velocity, lower pressure = less resizing.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 01-30-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    A shout out from Central WA! ........ and welcome to the forum!

The "K" is not so much for added speed as it's for a definite shoulder to headspace upon (less backthrust as well) ....... and how it relates to extending case life.

My Hornets are a factory 10" and Bullberry 20" for Contenders. My Bullberry carbine must have some sort of "match" chamber ........ Ie. it's tighter than bark on a tree because I can get no where near published charges with heavier bullets ........ and that was with Lil' Gun. I try lighter bullets for spring and our ever present gray diggers.

I am a big fan of the .22 mag rim and you are right .......... the Hornet kills way over expectations compared to the venerable mag rim cartridge! A digger I hit with my 10" and a 33 gr. V-max went off like you thought it worked for the Taliban and just did the virgin trip!

And a lot of those little Hornets certainly do fit in a small space.

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    "Gray Diggers" Well there is a term I haven't heard in a long time, that is unless I was speaking it.

Don't know where Three44s lives/hunts, but when I lived in Salem, Oregon as a young lad, there were lots of Gray Diggers.

Those critters were smaller then the Silver Grays which are tree squirrels and also seen in the Willamette Valley and larger then the Columbian ground squirrels that are at times very common in Eastern Washington and Idaho etc..

The Gray Digger is about half way between the two.

It's pink mist time with some fun cartridges and the ground critters.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Buddy
    We like central Washington and spend a lot of time in central WA.

After opening weekend of lowland trout at Mineral Lake I generally take my RV to Eburg the following weekend and leave it there through Independence Day, or so. Then I bring it home for a month or so before bringing it back over the hill (via North Cascades Hwy) for Stampede week then take it back to Eburg for Rodeo and Kittitas Co fair week. Some years we will take it down to to Pendelton for Roundup before bringing it back over here and taking it out to the island for blacktail season.

I shoot chucks through about the third weekend in June and come over from the west side about five times and spend the weekend. Don't shoot much around Eburg any more, haven't seen enough to bother with since the 1970's - but it makes for a good jumping off place. Sometimes I will relocate the RV to Scootney Reservoir so the wife and kids can hang out there while I am out shooting and sometimes I take it up to The Oasis in Ephrata for a weekend or Inchelium for the same reason. I still have to drive an hour or more each way to shoot each day and usually will be back home in camp by noon and spend the afternoon and evenings with my wife and kids.

I shoot a couple 788s in 22-250 and a 788 and a Mod 70 HV in 243 and a H&R Ultra Wildcat in 17 Rem and CZ 527 Americans in 204 and 222 Hornet and a Riihimaki Sako in 222. Two of my 788s are in MPI stocks and the other is in a wood heavy varmint stock. The one in the heavy varmint stock has a new takeoff barrel off a Mod 70 HV in 22-250 and is on a 308 length action. The other 788s have Liljas now. Two of them have Timney triggers and one has a Canjar. I used to shoot HP, and have a few ARs but don't shoot varmints with them. I shoot predators with a Remington AR now and like it just fine. When I predator hunt in central WA (this time of year) I just sleep in the back of the truck.

I am getting where I only want to go chuck shooting with another person about half the time any more. When I go with others we set up and shoot longer ranges. The other time I prefer to just take my Hornet and my antisocial self and go shoot chucks for a couple days.

I have a brand new takeoff CZ Hornet barrel and we are going to fit it to one of my Contender frames with a barrel stub and put a carbine together for my six-year old daughter to shoot. I have a line on a 17 Horneday Hornet (CZ 527 American) take off and will do the same with it. That way she can go out with me and actually have an effective weapon that doesn't weigh a ton and actually fits her. I dug through the bag of tricks and came up with enough AR parts to put together a 223 with a collapsible stock that will fit her, we turned down a 1:9 Hbar barrel that I used to shoot position rifle with and had quite a few rounds through it, but still has plenty of life left in it. We plugged the gas port and re-drilled it to take a carbine length gas tube and then we cut it down to 16.5 inches, so she is going to be set up with a respectable battery of little carbines that will allow her to shoot all the way out to ~ 400 yards and actually hit something. I am looking forward to shooting with another person this year more than I have lately.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 01-30-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My opinion is the 22 mag is the best rimfire round ever made for small game hunting. Don't let the lack of Hornet brass keep you from getting one as you can find loaded ammo pretty easy online for about $17 a box of 20. Just use it to establish some baseline data then save the brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    My opinion is that nothing will replace a standard .22LR without a lot of work. Sure you can load the smaller center fires down, but some states only allow rimfires, airguns and shotguns for hunting small game. Try explaining to the game warden that you have loaded to match the rimfire ballistics. You might get lucky and not get a ticket, might not too.

With the .22LR you can shoot just about any rabbit or squirrel and not get too much bloodshot meat, .22 WMR or equivalent, not so much. The .22 WRF can be used as a subload in a .22 WMR chamber, but they are pretty pricy as well.

I really don't see much need for more power than the .22LR or (even the .22 Short) for small game hunting. I like to get close, that is why we call it hunting and not shooting. The two longest shots I have ever taken at squirrels were about 45 yards and 50 yards. The 45 yard shot was with a .22 Short HP, the 50 yarder was with a tight choked 16 gauge Savage.

For actual hunting, a 50 or 100 round box of .22's will last for quite a while.

For plinking, the way things are today, a center fire makes sense.

Robert

Amen! Would love to hunt squirrels with the loaded-down Hornet, but center fires for small game is a big No-No here in MO.

Boolit Buddy
    A loaded down Hornet would probably work well for that application. But don't take my word for it, I have no practical experience therein. I use it for varmints. Not predators, varmints. I hunt predators too and have an opinion on that, but not with the Hornet round.

I am going to give my impression from a technical stand point and from a hobbyist's stand point on what this cartridge has to offer.

I am also going to take that statement and ramble a bit on it. Varmint season is coming up and my mind has been preoccupied with my varmint rifles and I have a lot of thoughts on the Hornet and it's utility. If you are not up for rambling, now is the time to decamp to another thread that interests you more than my ramblings on the 22 Hornet as a varmint cartridge.

My little CZ Hornet is all about horsepower to weight ratio, AND horsepower to noise ratio. I am a rifleman and I am a varmint shooter. In the CZ the 22 Hornet is accurate, boy is it accurate, AND in a CZ 527 with our modern bullets and powders, it is a little powerhouse. I would never take a CZ hammer forged, chamber and barrel in a single operation, and put a K Hornet chambering reamer in it. I have never been one to speculate on taking the damn good and trying to perfect it.

My impression regarding case life is that if I do not overwork my brass it will give good service life. And from practical experience, the Hornet case is just fine in that regard. Ergo, the K Hornet does not interest me, the Hornet in it's factory form does not owe me a thing.

I am a student of Charles S. Landis, I re-read his books yearly, about this time of year, and his writings were what eventually got me thinking about efficiency, i.e. how much noise you cause others to be subjected to in order to efficiently pursue your hobby of killing ground hogs.

I said efficiently KILLING ground hogs, if you are OK with wounding game animals, please move on, I do not have either the patience or temperament to converse with the likes of a slob "hunter" who does not respect any game animals they pursue. I know I am new here, but in interest in full disclosure... there you have it.

Many of my very best rock chuck shooting stomping grounds were turning into ten acre "ranchettes" that are owned by Seattle retirees.

Today we have to face it, a lot of nice homes are sited right smack dab in the middle of hay meadows in central Washington and southern Idaho.

Hay meadows attract rock chucks. These people have an investment interest in maintaining their quality of life. What is more, you and I are a guest on THEIR property. You want to play on THEIR land, that they have invested THEIR money in, you play by rules that maintain THEIR quality of life. Period. Full stop.

It is theirs, they invested their life savings in it, and you are their guest and you do what you can to not abuse THEIR hospitality. Or you will not be invited back, rightfully so, and what is more they will not be willing to vouch for your character to neighbors who would also like to see the chucks on their property thinned out - but not at the expense of their peace of mind, as opposed to having to give you a piece of their mind. Got it? If not, let me spell it out, they have first claim to enjoyment of their property, you are a guest and any enjoyment you get from THEIR investment is a gift from them to you.

I have found that so long as the latter does not frustrate the former, I am not only welcome, my visits are looked forward to and my opportunity expands while others are saying that they have less and less opportunity every year. Think about that dynamic.

Landis wrote in the late 1940's and early 50's and is from New England and while his writings always got my blood up for chuck shooting, it is only in the last two decades that his incessant, never ending, remarks about shooting an efficient cartridge, that has a minimal audible presence, had any currency with me. I'm glad his message sunk in with me about a decade ago.

The Hornet, from a rifle, is "nice," it is "civilized." I will caution you though, you would not shoot a Smith model 48 in 22 mag without hearing protectors, don't shoot a Hornet rifle without your "ears on" either. You owe it to your kids.

I shot the wide open west and I shot a 22-250 and a 243 and the ranchers treated me as though I was their long lost son every year when I showed up to deal death to the whistle pigs. Times have changed! Boy how the times have changed.

Be smart, but more than that, be respectful. Being respectful is what opens up opportunity.

Now I am going to shift gears: 13.2 grains of Lil' Gun behind a 40 grain V-max is a game changer when it comes to the Hornet as a varmint slayer. I took a retired gunsmith who has shot Hornets for sixty plus years chuck shooting with me last year.

I shot a rather large chuck at a hundred twenty five yards and it was ripped in two. I think I shot nineteen chucks that day and since then he just keeps saying that he has never seen anyone do to a chuck, with a Hornet, what I was doing that weekend. That CZ is that accurate and the terminal ballistics were that devastating.

With a good laser range finder hits are a certainty out well past 200 yards and the terminal ballistics are what a varmint shooter is looking for. I absolutely hate to wound a chuck, and my hits were dead center and the effect was instant death to the chucks.

We set up a bit over two hundred yards from a talus slope the next day, if you can call sitting in alfalfa with a binocular a range finder and a hornet on a Harris bipod "setting up," and shot most of the morning. He had a 223 and I could not get him to take a shot. He was having a blast watching me knock off a couple dozen chucks with my CZ Hornet.

The next time I took him over he brought his Ruger 77/22 Hornet and we both shot another location, but he was shooting yesterday's Hornet loads and just couldn't anchor them the way I was.

The rest of the season I was shooting my 22-250s and 243s from my custom made benches at chucks that were 325 to 500 yards away and when I brought him along he kept wanting to go back to shooting Hornets. I had to think real hard about where we could get in some sub 200 yard shooting and then took him about a buck fifty miles to a ranch that has a colony that hangs out on a talus slope right behind a feed lot and comes down and feeds on the silage with the cattle.

I knew the pens would be full of market steers for another two weeks, but took a chance that the rancher (who supplies prime beef to PCC and Whole Foods) would let us shoot the Hornets from the alley. I Knew he was OK with 22 mag, but wasn't sure about the Hornets.

To make a long story short, he looked at what cartridge we wanted to shoot and said: Let's give it a try. The steers were just in off the range, but they were fine as we shot a couple rounds a hundred yards from the pens and as we shot a couple more from fifty yards out and so we tried shooting a couple off standing in the bed of the feed truck parked in the back of the alley with our Harris bipods on the roof of the cab. The steers just kept on feeding - so the rancher said "have at it guys."

This friend has been calling me now for about two months, telling me that he thinks the chucks will be up early this year and we should plan a trip in mid April. I'm going to make that trip, even though it is a tad early. I have a secret spot down on the Yakima River that nobody but I can access. It has a basalt razorback ridge that the chucks live in and sun on that is about one hundred fifty yards from the alfalfa. They have to cross a ravine to feed in the alfalfa and then go back about 10:00 AM and then hang out on that ridge all afternoon.

He has diabetes and I want to take him there and let him go to town on them with his Ruger hornet. His eyesight is about gone and although I hit this place every year, I make it a point not to do too much damage to that isolated colony. I hope that after we leave I have to let it rest a couple years before I hunt it again.

I usually take about fifty or sixty out of the colony and then leave it alone until the following year, but this year I hope he opens up a Costco sized can of whoopass on them.

That is what the Hornet cartridge means to me. It is a cartridge I came to late in life, at fifty years old, but it is a cartridge my friend is going back to with a renewed interest in shooting that other mutual friends simply cannot get their mind around.

I used to think about more range and how to diddle with my 22-250s and 243s to get another bit of accuracy and range out of them this time of year. Today, I just take them to the range after I move scope sights around to make certain they are ready. Most of my thought is about gaining more access to shoot my hornet on.

That is what kind of cartridge the Hornet is. I still look forward to shooting from a set up with my long range rifles across alfalfa into the talus slopes, but that does not occupy my mind the way that thinking about shooting chucks with my Hornet has the last couple years.

If a person has the opportunity, I cannot think of a better return on your entertainment dollar investment than a good 22 Hornet rifle.

For me it is all about whether or not the opportunity is available to make a Hornet a better choice than a rimfire.

The decision boils down to what tour target is and the range you will be shooting at. For a varmint rifle though, especially a first varmint rifle, I would give the Hornet fair consideration.

I hunt upland game with a 20 ga because it is fast and because I don't like my dinner blown to shreds. If you hand load your ammo the Hornet might be a fabulous choice. If you are shooting squirrels for dinner, a LR may be best or a 22 mag with solids would be my choice. If you hand load it is a no brainer though. So long as you can custom tailor your loads, if you have to shoot factory ammo - get one of the rim fires.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 01-31-2015 at 04:36 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk4545 View Post
    Amen! Would love to hunt squirrels with the loaded-down Hornet, but center fires for small game is a big No-No here in MO.
    Since when? I went to the MO Dept of Conservation website to find the legal firearms methods. This is what I found:

Legal Firearm Methods

Legal firearm methods used to hunt wildlife — except beaver, mink, muskrat, river otter, turtles, and fish — include the following:

• Pistols, revolvers, and rifles propelling a single projectile at one discharge (may not be used for hunting turkey; must be centerfire or a muzzleloader for hunting deer)
    • Guns powered by spring, air, or compressed gas (may not be used for hunting turkey. See Fall Deer & Turkey Hunting Regulations and Information booklet for regulations during the firearms deer season.)
    • Shotguns not larger than 10 gauge
    • Crossbows, which are classified as a firearm method
    • Shotguns with the magazine cut off or plugged to reduce the capacity to not more than 3 shells in the magazine and chamber combined. This restriction does not apply to shotguns used while hunting deer and during the Conservation Order for snow geese.

Legal firearm methods used to hunt deer and turkey are listed in the Spring Turkey Hunting Information booklet, available at permit vendors in March, and the Fall Deer & Turkey Hunting Regulations and Information booklet, available at permit vendors in the summer.
    Fully automatic firearms are prohibited for all hunting.

I don't see anything mentioning rimfire or centerfire for small game.

I'll try to catch the local game warden in town to clarify, but as I read it, it is legal to hunt small game with a centerfire in Missouri.

Robert

Robert-

When you get the Game Wardens answer, please post here what he has to say…

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I don't see anything mentioning rimfire or centerfire for small game.

I'll try to catch the local game warden in town to clarify, but as I read it, it is legal to hunt small game with a centerfire in Missouri.

Robert
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast