Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: .33 WCF Loads

Boolit Mold

.33 WCF Loads

I got some loads that I have worked up for this rifle which is a "Takedown" circa 1910. It is a good little rifle and in about NRA 90% condition. Was a Game Warden's rifle out of Anaconda, MT and I am the 2nd owner. Got a 45-75, 2 40-82's. a 45-90 and 2 Marlin 45-70's all have taken their fair share of game but been playing with the .33 to see if it can be improved upon any. So if anyone does have any data they would not mind sending it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve's Reloading Data Pages Look under .338 rifle caliber.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the information.

Boolit Master
    I assume Win M 1886? I don't know the need to improve upon existing loads out of a 100+ year old gun though.

Several sources but none extensive because the 33 Win has been deemed obsolete for quite some time.

There are sources out there that list so called "load data", but I would only recommend using the reputable ones. The load references I have for the 33 Win are: Cartridges of the World, Lyman Ideal Handbook #40, Hornady Handbook 7th Edition and Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West by Venturino. I'd suggest tracking down at least a couple of those.

Boolit Mold
    Loaddata.com has recipes for the .33 WCF. Please be careful as not all of those loads are safe in every action type. Some will be 1886 only

I have an 86 chambered for it and like the versatility. 200 grain cast loads going slow for Deer inside 100 yards or load up for long range with the Leverevolution stuff for hunting plains game. This is gun dependent but you may be able to do a dual caliber set with your take down. I am working on a Marlin 1895 with the thought of swappable barrel sets for .33 WCF or 45/70.

OOPS Load data is a pay site for the actual numbers. Here is a link with a few loads http://stevespages.com/338_1_200.html use at your own risk as I know nothing about the person running this site but the loads are consistent with my own reloads
    Last edited by Little Boats; 12-08-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got an '86 in 33 WCF also. Mine, too, is about a 90% gun - 10% barrel finish, 10% mag finish, 10% stock finish etc etc. You get the picture. Anyway, it's a decent rifle with a great bore and the 33 cartridge will comfortably take anything in North America at moderate range. No elk across a canyon, but I don't use it for that. Brass is easily formed from 45-70 and I managed to find enough Hornady #3315 200 gr RN bullets to last a while. Unfortunately they're out of production. I won't use the LeverRevolution bullets cuz pointy bullets in an '86 just ain't right, which is apparently a sign of my old-fartedness. 38.0 gr of 4064 gets decent results on paper, but I haven't killed anything with it yet. Good luck with yours.
    yooper

Boolit Mold
    I got two molds. One by Rapine and the other one is a gas check by RCBS. The one load that I have that does work is using the old style 4831. I got a bunch of it back in the early 60's. I use 53 grains. Where did I get that data? Got it out of an old gun magazine back when... That was indicated that fellow used only that load and it did the job. I know that I can get some groups with it at 50 and 100 yards. I got a whole bunch of 33 bullets from Buff Arms awhile back and still have some original Hornadys to fall lback on. the Buff Arms bullets are almost dead ringers for the Hornady ones.

Boolit Master
    IIRC BACO was about the last source for those Hornady 200 gr JFPs. I picked up several boxes from them. The other source for a comparable bullet would be Hawk Bullets. http://www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

I have two original 86s in 33 Win. I like the 33 Win and it's really too bad the cartridge is considered obsolete. The original factory ballistics and most all modern load data I've seen since point to about 2200 fps with the 200 gr JFP as the practical limit. I don't push my guns that hard and prefer the milder cast loads.

No doubt the 4831 load would do OK but the cartridge is better suited to a slightly faster powder. My best load for the 200 gr JFP (Hornady) is 34 gr of 3031. My best load with a 200 gr cast bullet sized to .340 is 31 gr of a fairly slow milsurp 4895.

While the 86 is plenty strong for these loads. Some people push them for giggles and are more interested in velocity than practicality or sense. I see no reason to push an old gun. If I need a bigger/faster boomer, I have several modern bolt guns for that purpose.

Boolit Mold
    I totally agree with you. I don't load my loads way up there but rather like to try for that "One Hole" group and that is NOT with any "hot" loads. I do h ave good results with that load of 4831 but it does leave some unburnt grains in the barrel. Not many but a few. I can get a nice tite group at 25 yards, then the same out at 100 yards then I am happy, the cases last longer and my shoulder does not hurt as bad as it does with factory type loadings where that velocity is up there in the clouds. Thanks for your input..

Boolit Master
    A couple of years ago, Rifle Magazine (Wolf Publishing) put out a magazine specifically about lever action rifles. In it there were one or two articles on loading the 33 WCF. Maybe you can find a copy of the magazine.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Loaddata.com has quite a few loads available for the 33 wcf, the only problem is that you have to subscribe to the site! For me it's worth it since they list just about every cartridge there is!

Boolit Grand Master

Always been curious about the 33 WCF, thanks for posting.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Go to Castpics and the Ideal Handbook #38 for .33 Win. loads.

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...al-handbook-38

I keep telling you guys there's lots of good stuff at Castpics.

Regards, Woody

Prob'ly also loads in Phil Sharp's Complete Guide to Handloading (1937) (also at Castpics)
    Last edited by woody1; 12-12-2014 at 12:33 AM. Reason: add info
    Take a kid along

Boolit Mold
    Thanks. I did go to that "Castpics" site and there are a couple of loads that I might try. Again, thanks for the info.

Own 4 1886 Winchester 33 WCF rifles in various original configurations. Have been handloading for the 33 for about 30 years. Jacketed bullets work best
    as in 200 gr Hornadys & Hawk . Powders best suited for the 33 WCF are IMR 3031, 4198 for reasonable accuracy. Velocity and accuracy seem best around 2000-2100 FPS. I have some remaining Hornady 200 gr FP and they are good bullets, but are now discontinued like their 348s. Hawk
    200 gr are probably the best bullets now out there, and a wait is in order to get them.
    Starline 40-65 brass is the best starting point for the 33 as it makes case forming easier. So does a Lee factory crimp die. Get one as crimping is necessary. Cast bullets are not recommended as they seem inaccurate-stick to jacketed bullets.
    Handloader Magazine -Jan 1977 has a good article on the 33 Winchester. H 4831 also produced good accuracy. A standard 200 / or 210 gr Nosler may be used for the first shot in a Winchester 86, making the 33 again a good elk or bear rifle. They were popular in Alaska early in the last century.
    Pretty good for a century mark caliber and rifle.