Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: shooting line box

Banned

shooting line box

i've been putting this off for too long, and this is a good time of the year for rifle related projects. the simple line box is created out of one 3/4" x 9-3/4" x 72" knotty pine board from home depot ($15). i used every inch of it, there was no waste. also bought a 5/8" x 24" oak dowel ($1.80) for the handle. the rest of the materials - 2" dry wall screws, titebond glue, 1/4" dowel (for the screw plugs), leather strips for the gun cradle, stain and clear coat - i had on hand. the dimensions are 21" long x 9-3/4" wide x 12" high. one side of the box is lower at 3-1/2" high for ease of getting to the cartidges, while the other side is 5-1/2" high.

and doggone if the loading block i built last year seems to miraculously be a perfect fit inside the box.

i notched the uprights on either side of the gun cradle to accept cleaning rods. i did a rough sketch and then just winged it on the table and jig saws. looks like it's gonna work just fine come the spring thaw. i hate the winter.

Moderator Emeritus

Quite the innovative, efficient, and well-made project! I really like the leather strips, too! Again, nice job and kudos!
    BEST!
    georgerkahn

Boolit Master

Very good for just winging it with the saws.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

I tell you what, with your talent you could make 20 of those and sell them for 100.00 a piece and sell out right quick at any gun show around here.

Do you think it would fit a Pedersoli Remington rolling block Creedmore? If you are not sure, just send it to my house and I will check it for you. I should be able to get it back to you in around 40 or 50 years at the latest....
    Very cool, love the design!

Boolit Master

Nice work this is the makes this site the best thanks for the ideal
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    nice and neat design. I will drooooool looking at the gun!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Rfd - nice work, gave me some ideas. I noticed on your sharps you have a lace on recoil pad. I have been looking for something like that for a while. What kind is it?
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Boolit Master

WOW!!! The best I can do is get mine out of a store.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Banned

thanx for all yer kind comments. it's just a simple box, nothing fancy. i rushed just to get it done, and didn't spend any more time than needed. i can do lots better, but didn't care - it's just a working line box, it's gonna get the krap beat out of it. i didn't need to peg the side screws, but what the heck, i had the dowels and it went fast. though pine is a softwood that doesn't have the grandeur of a hardwood like walnut or oak, it's plenty strong and quite serviceable. and lots cheaper. one of my buds was skeptical of the 5/8" oak dowel handle, so i loaded the box with 35# of lead, stuck the 11.5# sharps in the cradle and lifted it off the floor with no ill effects to that dowel. the box can be used righty or lefty, too.

the recoil pad is a "kick killer" and does a wonderful job of softening the blow of a stout trap door load. for lighter loads, it feels at best like a 22rf magnum. inside the leather boot is an "akton" gel pad that absorbs the recoil to a great degree. i can, and have, fired off more than a hundred rounds in one day at the range with no ill effects on my all-too weak shootin' shoulder. both of my .45-70's have kick killers, love 'em, gotta have 'em.

the replica 1874 sharps rifle is #58 of 500 made by chiappa/armi sport for cimmaron firearms in texas. i've had my doubts about those eye-talian firearms, but like my pedersoli, this one is quite well built, good metal and wood, a fine shooter, and a solid bang for the buck at $1050/delivered. just spent $990 on new lee shaver soule/hadley tang peeps and aperture globes for both rifles. more buck$ well spent. can't wait for spring and the long range matches.
    Last edited by rfd; 12-13-2014 at 07:00 AM. Reason: spelling!