MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 38 Super...what's the skinny?

Boolit Grand Master
    The 38 Super is the handgun caliber with which I have the least experience. I have fired perhaps 25 rounds of factory fodder from a friend's Browning BDA (precursor to SIG P-220) many years ago.

Can someone point me at a factory blurb concerning the discontinuance of SR-4756? I have read this advisement twice on this site, but have seen no other info to this effect anywhere else. Thanks a bunch.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Al,

I can't point to any printed information as to which powders Hodgdon is going to stop producing, but I talked to Chris Hodgdon at the SHOT Show last January and he told me personally that SR-4756 and SR-7625 were scheduled to be dropped from their line at the end of 2015. He said they were both made with old technology that takes longer to produce, and that there were other powders available that would do the same job as these powders.

While I don't like the idea of them dropping two of my favorite pistol powders, I understand the reasoning. If they can have more powder made in the same time period than they can now have produced (since they don't make any of their own powders), then it makes economical sense to move in that direction.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: I see you traded one kind of sand between your toes for another......... Good move!
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    It is a GREAT bullet and the only bullet I have found that is more accurate in the Super/9mm is the Hornady 124 TC... but for cast, have not found anything better.

Vern Dual was Secretary of the Cast Bullet Association back in the late 1970s and lived in Dallas where I did at the time. He used to make these bullets for me out of pure linotype metal... After he got out of casting I always wanted more of the bullets but had not cast since 1980. Three years ago I started casting again and found a two cavity SAECO mold on ebay for cheap money. One day I may order a four but for as much as I shoot this bullet the two cavity makes enough...

I have some sized at .358 and am going to try them in .38 Special and .357 Magnum...

Bob

ps...I have heard that the entire SR line of powders have been discontinued...

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry for the thread drift, but thank you for info. It appears I will need to try other fuels for the 32-20 revolver once my current allotment gets thin. I understand the rationale, but at the same time very few powders have been available at all for 3 years now. The range of choices SUCK, but we make do.

Some part of the 38 Super always scared me a bit. Its ballistics were impressive, it always struck me as The Cartridge The 9mm Wanted To Be, and fell short. I was concerned about unsupported chamber issues in the Colt pistols; the BDA I fired didn't "smiley" brass, and its subjective feel was definitely more than what 9mms conjured up. It wasn't authorized for use at work, though--so it just fell off the radar for me. I got into the 30s and 32s for small game and varmints, and any chance the 38 Super might have had to climb into the gun safe went south at that point.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    What's the skinny on the 38 Super?

It is not called "Super" for nothing. Seriously, I think it is a great cartridge. In a 1911 platform it is a very cool cartridge to shoot. I think the perfect carry gun would be my CCO chambered in 38 Super. I love my CCO and 45acp in general, but if I was to pick another cartridge for a 1911 it would be the Super. And this comes from a guy who shoots a 2011 in 40 in USPSA and 3 gun!

Maybe someone knows a better source, but I remember reading once that Jeff Cooper thought the 38 Super was the ideal trail gun. I couldn't find the exact writing, but here is a discussion

http://gunhub.com/gun-talk/57323-38-super.html

I have always thought the Lee 125 rnfp would be an outstand small game or target of opportunity boolit.
    Last edited by crabo; 12-31-2014 at 12:16 AM.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    Cooper once upon a time wrote an article not really on the .38 Super but his 6" BarSto barreled Commander chambered in .38 Super that he used cut down .223 brass making what was essentially a 9x23 Winchester. I have the article and read it once in a while.

I happened to stop and talk with him one day at the SHOT Show in about 1983. I asked him about the gun and he said it was hanging on the wall at Gunsite...didn't sound like it had gotten much use.

Bob

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    Reviving this in case the OP is still around. Stumbled on this:
    This is an excellent image...kind of tells the story.

edited: bummer image from post #30 didn't "quote"

Let's try this...

Attachment 218279
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 04-13-2018 at 03:16 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Fantastic cartridge!!! Started with a full size Colt and now have a Fusion CCO in 9mm/super 38. The Colt is accurate and reliable,also has me back to 7 yards on the dot torture target. Haven't had weather to resume shooting the dot target this year.
    My favorite powder is Power Pistol and AA #7. Haven't bulged at Starline Plus P case in either pistol and we've run some snorty stuff through them. I'm running a sixteen pound recoil spring in the five inch Colt and an eighteen pound in the Fusion.
    The NOE 155 grain mold is my favorite bullet now in the cup nose version although the NOE 125 hollow point has done good work for me at 1450 fps. very accurate and explosive on various varmints.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123