Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Buddy
    Cut 400 cores for .224 bullets. Cleaned 150 5.7x28 brass after annealing.

learned a valuable lessen today.. Never cast bullets in bare feet, lead doesn't always go in the mold..

You didn't! Oh.......you did.
    Cognitive Dissident

Didn't make it in the reloading room, but did make it to gun club #2 and swapped lies and bought:

1 brick Remington 7-1/2 primers

1 brick Federal Large rifle primers

4 bricks Federal Large rifle Magnum primers

3 bricks CCI LR primers

2 bricks Winchester small rifle primers

2 lb. cans of IMR-4895

Nicked the double secret gun fund for $676.

Then wandered off to gun club #3 for a round of sporting clays. Shot awful, but it was with my best friend for the last 53 years. So it's all good. Don't have a clue how he's put up with me for all these years.

All but the Winchester SR have already been claimed by shooting buddies.

All in all a good day even if I didn't accomplish anything.

Back to being semi-productive tomorrow.

After steel plates at gun club #4 tomorrow.
    Last edited by 15meter; 10-10-2023 at 07:54 PM.

15meter- I am jealous, I need to shoot more! Maybe I should hit the local trap range before pheasant season? We should have some birds around this Fall? hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master

Loaded another hundred 357 Maxi's, my Seville just blows through them.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I cut off the old handles and welded a new one onto a 93 and a 98 Mauser bolt.
    Grinding/Shaping them tomorrow……
    I also made some 1” to 3/4” bushings from 1/2” flex “funny pipe” to use a 3/4” scope in 1” rings…..
    Form follows function

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've worked on loading up 150 round of both 32 Winchester Special and 35 Remington with Accurate 32-180A and 36-200A bullets respectively. Had to cast up a bunch of the 32 calibers but already had plenty of the 35 caliber version on hand. The weather is finally decently cool here in north Alabama so that working in the garage is pleasant again. I've got the 32 Specials done and got a god start on the 35 Remingtons.

Boolit Grand Master

Sized and deprimed 300 pieces of 22/250 brass.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I cast about 15lb of the MP 358-125 FBs. It is an 8 cavity mold and took a little getting used to until it started raining boolits....
    WWG1WGA

Disassembled a batch of 6.5x53R ammo. SLOWLY going through my buddy's stuff to recover the components. He passed away in June and I had loaded a couple thousand rounds for us to shoot. Probably 25+ different calibers.

Figured out that an old school fencing pliers works the best for cast boolits in boomer calibers like 500/450 N. E. Tried side cutters, channel locks and linesman pliers.

Fencing pliers work the best.

Biggest problem is the gas checks that get stuck in the neck, I have to fish every one out with a piece of baling wire with a hook bent in the end. And it's real baling wire, probably wouldn't work with other wire.

Good thing there's a zillion old movies on youtube.
    Last edited by 15meter; 10-13-2023 at 09:23 AM.

Boolit Master
    Finally figured out the little details of the Lee load all 2 for the 20 gauge. Got 5 loaded nicely before bed time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played with my rcbs bench primer is all. Got a case of reloading room lazies. Working too much at my part time job but maybe I’ll get a break soon as we just hired a newbe. Gotta go in now.

Time I made a contribution to this thread.
    Finally got the extractor made and fitted for the .28-30-120 barrel I've installed to a Stevens 44-1/2 action, so now it's time to appraise the treasure trove of UMC brass I paid a king's ransom for a couple of years ago. (Yes, that's how long projects languish around here, what with my advanced age and state of decrepitude.) This brass is insanely rare, so I mustn't risk a single piece. Set about plunk-testing it all in the barrel, and of course some of it needed to be FL sized, so out comes the CH4D die set. Now, I don't mind telling you that this .28-30 die set leaves a lot to be desired. The FL die over-works the upper part, by about .010" at the mouth, so an unnecessarily brutal expansion turns out to be required. Does the expander in the set do this properly? Not on your life! Too short; it forces the brass to cock in the shell-holder so it expands crooked, and it leaves the mouth too small for cast bullets anyway. So it's over to the lathe to make a proper 2" long expander, to be used with suitable spacers in a Lee "Universal Expander" (which it isn't) die body. (I made one of these last year, but gave it away.) But first, anneal, so as not to risk splitting any when expanding from ~.276" I.D. to .285". The gods smiled upon me, I didn't lose a single piece. So I now have almost 50 sound, sized and plunk-tested cases to feed the Stevens, (and also my infamous "bitza Ballard", which has a Stevens .28-30 barrel on it, and is still in need of a buttplate). Actually loaded 10 rounds with the correct 120 grain bullet and a moderate charge of 4198, but I'm too tired even to take the Stevens out back to fire it. With this barrel, it's a 10-1/2 pound rifle, and I've been heaving it around since 7 o'clock this morning. I need a NAP!
    Cognitive Dissident

Load up some loads for my .357 Max rifle. Lyman 358156gc over 17.5 grains IMR 4227 and 13.0 grains of Alliant 2400. Trying to match poi at 50 yards with my 189 grain cast hunting load.

Boolit Master

My son wanted me to work up a load for his Ruger Security 6 with some old Sierra JHC 150 grain bullets and Little Gun powder .
    The old box of 100 Sierra bullets was $5.39 ! I started with Data for a 158 grain Hornady bullet as they have the same seating depth .

P.S. I fixed the price and loaded the rest of the 113 today the second box of Sierra 150 gr. JHC was $5.76
    Last edited by firefly1957; 10-16-2023 at 04:45 PM.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Set up the Dillon 550 for 30-06, got a buddy coming over to load some up. He's a single stage guy, but has decided that a progressive is the way to feed an M1.

Sorted out more brass and bullets to peddle here. Another couple of years and I may find my shop floor. Finding the bench top I think is one of those impossible dreams.

Today I set up the new to me Hollywood Model A 3 station press to seat bullets for my 3 pistol calibers. Loaded about 150 - 9mm rounds and the Hoolywood at almost 85 years old is just amazing. Absolutly no play or wiggle in the turret head. They certainly knew how to build them. Hopefully I'll get to do more tomorrow morning.....

Lacking 3D CAD and finite element analysis software, they just designed it as heavy as they thought it might need to be...and then doubled it. Iron was cheap back then.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Been tuning up my 366 Pacific shotshell loader and crafting a eject tray since it now sits up on an Inline Fabrication Ultramount. Trying to channel shells off into a bin to the side instead of backwards.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life