RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Master
    Buddy is taking me to private land to shoot tmro. First real shooting trip in almost 3 months. In the pile is a 270 with 500 rounds, an AR with 500 rounds, a 22lr with 500 rounds, two 9mm's with 1000 rounds, and one 38 with 200 rounds. And thats just what Im bringing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200525_210331.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    Loaded and tested an experimental multi-ball load for .38 S&W. Used pure lead (more or less) cast in a Lee .360 RB mold atop .3cc of Trail Boss. Weight of cast projectile (according to the mold box) 70 grains, so total payload about 140 grains. Winchester small pistol primers, Starline brass. Test revolver was a 4" Colt Police Positive with a good bore and solid lockup. Recoil and noise level were both negligible. Accuracy with the fixed factory sights at seven yards were spot on for elevation & a little left (because I am old and not a very good shot these days). Both projectiles impacted within 3/4" of each other and in most cases with the holes connected. Overall groups around three inches or so. Penetration target was a heavy plastic gallon jug filled with water. Both projectiles penetrated both sides of the target. Initial test was with a single projectile, but the factory sights placed that projectile eight inches low at 7 yards. If anyone actually cares about experimental loads in .38 S&W, I've got a line on a used chronograph and will perhaps do some more detailed/documented testing at a later date. Disclaimer; if you got one of those old break-top revolvers that prostitutes used to carry in the 20's & 30's... don't try this load in that gun. In fact, don't shoot anything in it. They were never intended to last as long as they have and most I have seen should have the firing pin removed and be put in a shadow box to look nice.

Loaded 100 45-70 rounds with my NOE 460-396 RF boolit over H335. I got a nice Montana Arms staff sight that I want to sight in and see if I can pick off some long range targets.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by chriskendziora View Post
    Added some lighting..Led shop lights..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I did that last year. It really helps aging eyes.

I'm heading down to my reloading room shortly. Yesterday I had a good casting session and today I will continue to cast some more varieties of boolits that I need for various rifles. Tomorrow it will be lubing and sizing and reloading. We're off to the range next Tuesday for another rifle shooting session and I need some more fodder for a couple of the rifles I'd like to take out with me that day ... (.32-40's, .45-70's, and some .50-70's) ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Did a quick trip to the garage and loaded up 100 10mm.

Time to cast more 40 cal TCs, I'm almost out!
    WWG1WGA

Gas checked a bunch of .330 bullets that I use in both a .318 Accelerated Express and an 8x56R.

I shoot them as cast with 2 coats of the original Ben's Liquid Lube and gas checked.

Then loaded said boolits in a box of .318 Accelerated Express.

And turned the fuselages for 7 golden age taildragger toy planes for great nephews/nieces.

Then set the South Bend so I can convert a batch of 375 H&H's in 350 Rigby Magnums.

The loading room is more a general purpose shop.

If I stay on house arrest until Labor day, I might be half caught up with the "stuff to do" list.

Boolit Buddy
    This is yesterday’s efforts put into practice today.....

I loaded up a 100 284 Win to use today in F-Class practice. 900 yards and shot several groups a bit less than 4” x 8”. It was very windy, gusting and switching directions faster than I could react. I had some/more lateral spread than normal. I am usually in the 2”x 5” range. It was fantastic practice. Hopefully they can start holding matches soon.....

FullSizeRender.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Today was my turn to have the bench I share with my wife the painter. Two bedroom apartment living means compromise. I have a new RCBS press mount primer so I primed up 20 50-70 cases. My Sharps 1863 carbine looks very good but I didn't know for sure if the firing pin was OK. Guess I should have told the wife before I touched off a primer. Anyway it works so I proceeded to melt some SPG and lubed up some 450gr cast bullets. Just starting out with black and cast so that was enough for today. Feels like progress.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCanuk View Post
    Today was my turn to have the bench I share with my wife the painter. Two bedroom apartment living means compromise. I have a new RCBS press mount primer so I primed up 20 50-70 cases. My Sharps 1863 carbine looks very good but I didn't know for sure if the firing pin was OK. Guess I should have told the wife before I touched off a primer. Anyway it works so I proceeded to melt some SPG and lubed up some 450gr cast bullets. Just starting out with black and cast so that was enough for today. Feels like progress.
    Accurate powder has pressure tested data for the 50/70 if you want to try smokeless, I've shot it for years in a Trapdoor, some of the pressure tested loads they published are lower than an equivalent black powder load. To me that is pretty important in a 150 year old rifle.

Had mine out yesterday ringing dingers. Almost the most fun you can have with you clothes on.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Accurate powder has pressure tested data for the 50/70 if you want to try smokeless, I've shot it for years in a Trapdoor, some of the pressure tested loads they published are lower than an equivalent black powder load. To me that is pretty important in a 150 year old rifle.

Had mine out yesterday ringing dingers. Almost the most fun you can have with you clothes on.

I have a couple of cans of 5744 so I may try it in the 50-70. Will be using it in my 45-90 High Wall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0518201505.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	263194

Name:	0603201823.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	263195
    Finally got a chance to try my new molds for .223. Didn't have a lot of time to play, but I'm having fun learning the ropes. A bit different than .45cap. I'm looking for cheap 50 yard blasting ammo for the AR's. My wife gets her jollys off doing mag dumps and can burn a lot of ammo in short order. Even with newyorkistan's 10 round mag limit. Going to PC and try with and without gas checks. Without would be good because I can save another $.03 on each round.

Boolit Master

OK sigep1764 and Reverend Al,

How about a shooting report?

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Loaded aome .45 AR

Hi all,
    I just got some Starline 45AR brass in from Midway, so I loaded up 100 rounds for my Mod 25-2. Fifty rounds each Hitek coated 200gr HG68 (MP Clone) and PC/Hitek 220gr RN over 4.0gr Bullseye. Just wanted to see which shoots better.
    Ed

Name:	45AR.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	263228

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    OK sigep1764 and Reverend Al,

How about a shooting report?

Mike
    We each shot 100 rounds out of our 270's, his a Ruger American and mine a Winchester 70. Each shot several 1-1.5 inch groups at 80 yards. Very happy with that. He put around 200 rounds through the AR I just built him and I ran 100 rounds of CCI SV through my CZ455. It shot ok, it was a bit windy 10-15mph, 1.5-2 inch groups. Its usually less than an inch without wind. We ran 50 rounds of 38 special with the Elco HP boolit loaded over 2.8 grains of Red Dot through his 642 and my Colt Official Police. Shot very well. Lastly, we ran 300 rounds of 9mm through his SA XD9mm and my Glock 26, also loaded with the Elco boolit over 2.8 grains of Red Dot. Was an awesome day. Beers and Cigars afterwards.

I took apart 90 .308W cartridges. I no longer have a Rifle that I need them for. Added the Bullets to my stash for future use for my '03 Springfield. Cases have been traded with a friend for.45acp cases.

Boolit Master

Made room for my new press. And loaded some 30/30 cast rounds.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Mold
    Loaded up some Hunters Supply 150 gr HP .311 with 16.5 Imr 4198 for my Henry 30-30 SS for testing.

Boolit Grand Master

Unloaded my range bag and started sorting brass from a recent Prairie Dog trip.

Boolit Master
    I prepped two new 8 cav MP molds, both the same 9mm design. Hopefully they'll be put to work tomorrow. I'm trying to get my dual mold technique down. When I do, using a ProMelt with a feeder pot, I may be able to cast at a rate of 1500 boolits an hour.

I also drifted the rear sight on my G34. I actually started doing a lot more accuracy drills, and now the zero at 15 yards that was "good-enough-for-govmint-work" is consistently a foot left at 35 yards.
    Last edited by kevin c; 06-09-2020 at 12:50 AM.

Page 449 of 601 FirstFirst ... 349399439440441442443444445446447448449450451452453454455456457458459499549 ... LastLast