Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Wow, fun day in the reloading room. Started using the two Lyman lube/sizers I refurbished last march and what a surprise I got. Went to load the top punch into it's dedicated location on the main shaft after opening up the lock screw and found that there was no hole drilled in it for the top punch. So had to change out for the other luber I had and got the job done. Just sent email off the Lyman along with this and a few other images of the problem. lol

Curious if this is a custom spindle, doing big flat/wadcutter style boolits, just having a flat spindle in there may work as well as a top punch.

With the set screw being an end-of-stroke stop on the up-swing.

Just guessing here.........

Post above beat me to it while I was typing, day late, dollar short, story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post

Tried to form some 7x61 cases from 300 Win Mag, ugly results, may try a very light anneal on the neck tonight, then try again. I anneal at night, with the lights outs only light is the torches and a TV with an old film noir movie going (dim screen, dark music, great for a little reloading alchemy). Never have had any luck annealing before reforming before always crumpled the shoulder. This case may be the exception.

Did have some success converting 7mm Remington Mag. Takes almost as much effort as 300 Weatherby to 300 H&H.
    LIGHTLY annealed some 300 Win Mag and some 7mm Remington Mag, then tried to re-form. The 300's appears to be too much, too fast but I don't have any intermediate dies to step it down sequentially. The case is too fat/long to fit into anything I have. Not sure there is any standard dies that will fit the bill.

The 7 mag work very well:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	formed 7x61 S&H.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	248744

As a plus it formed much easier than the shells that had not been annealed. Figure I'll make up 20 of them, just because I can, then go back to the factory brass.

Plus I inventoried both primers and powder while I was waiting for it to get dark enough to anneal. It was time to update my excel spreadsheets. Should have done this last week, I would have ordered another case of small rifle primers while there was a group buy at the club.

Boolit Master

Cast up about a Dillon Akro bin of both 358156 and RCBS 44-255K
    Lubes half of each batch with carnauba blue and coated the other half with Hi-Tek

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Curious if this is a custom spindle, doing big flat/wadcutter style boolits, just having a flat spindle in there may work as well as a top punch.

With the set screw being an end-of-stroke stop on the up-swing.

Just guessing here.........

Post above beat me to it while I was typing, day late, dollar short, story of my life.
    Na, 15meter. Not a custom spindle. Bought two handle conversion kits for my two lyman 450's. One just somehow missed getting the top punch hole drilled and it got missed in the inspection process

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    boy do I like that!

What kind of velocity are yo getting from them? What weight?
    Not sure since I have not run them over a chrony. But likely in the area of 1250-1280 at the muzzle. That's with a 390gr boolit. This cartridge was loaded at the arsenal with a 3.89-4.09 gram black powder load for a 1266fps velocity. I'm in the same area maybe. Don't know what granulation they used, 1F, 2F?????? So, the finer one goes to some degree, velocity might increase.

Boolit Master
    Cast about 1000 Elco boolits and another 1000 227-75Nato. Loaded 600 9mm. It was a pretty good day off.

Sized and primed some 7.62x39 for boolits and bullets, rubbed another coat of Truoil on the 870 stocks, painted the steel parts on the new River Rat so it won’t rust riding in the Mule. Then I fed the dogs and ran the tractor in and out of the back door to pack down the ramp I built.

Made a 220 Swift case gage to use with the Hornady cartridge length gage. Fired case and drill and tap for the gage, 5/16-28 thread. Had to order the tap off Amazon. The tap's cost was about equal to one of the Hornady shells to work with their gage. Now I can make case gages for any of the oddball cartridges I load with out the drama of trying to get a custom case from Hornady. Plus the case gage was given to me by a buddy.

Won't work with the 22 Hornet though. I don't know if there is enough meat on a 221 Fireball case to work. May try that tomorrow.

Boolit Master

I fit a Mark X mauser stock for a Timney trigger. Then two coats of tru oil.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Sorted a few w/w until the heat got too much to endure. It looks like 80% so far are steel, zinc and some rubber looking stuff...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Sorted some tumbled brass.

Re mounted and bore sited two scopes.

Sized trimmed and primed 60 7mag cases for loading later.

CW

Boolit Master
    Started looking around to see if I could find a place to sit down and do some reloading. I think its time to invite George for a fishing trip, an adult, beverage or three, and see if there isn't something that catches his eye, hand or pocket. There is definetly an excess of goodies and stuff in there.

Still shooting weather, not reloading weather, buddy and I made reloading opportunities in 318 Westley Richards, 275 Rigby, 350 Rigby Magnum, 416 Rigby, 7x61 Sharpe & Hart and 375 Flanged Nitro Express.

Glad he's can afford the rifles, I can't even afford the ammo. But I will load the ammo if I can ring dingers with it.

When the weather turns.....
    Last edited by 15meter; 09-27-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Still shooting weather, not reloading weather, buddy and I made reloading opportunities in 318 Westley Richards, 275 Rigby, 350 Rigby Magnum, 416 Rigby, 7x61 Sharpe & Hart and 375 Flanged Nitro Express.

Glad he's can afford the rifles, I can't even afford the ammo. But I will load the ammo if I can ring dingers with it.

When the weather turns.....
    Sounds like a sweet deal. Would like to see what some of these rifles look like, they have got to be sweet looking toys.

Boolit Master

Last night I loaded 50-308’s, 50 more 30/06’s and 60-7Mags.

Then I case prepped fifty 357 Maxi and tumbled about a hundred 350 Legend brass to load today.

CW

Boolit Master

Tumbled a batch of 45 Colt brass. I was all excited to load some up and I realized I already used up all of my boolits.
    Guess I need to cast some more now.

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Sounds like a sweet deal. Would like to see what some of these rifles look like, they have got to be sweet looking toys.
    Only took a short video yesterday, no stills of the rifles. I have in the past, when I get to a real computer, not this tablet, I'll post some of his rifles. Most of them are works of vintage English gunmaker art.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    ... I think its time to invite George for a fishing trip, an adult, beverage or three, and see if there isn't something that catches his eye, hand or pocket. There is definetly an excess of goodies and stuff in there.
    Be careful what you for. George's pockets are Tardis-like; larger on the inside than the outside.

Turn your back on him for a second, he'll abscond with anything portable.

Only took a short video yesterday, no stills of the rifles. I have in the past, when I get to a real computer, not this tablet, I'll post some of his rifles. Most of them are works of vintage English gunmaker art.
    Super, thanks.

Loaded up some J bullets in .223 for some testing, prior to loading a Whole Bunch.
    Barman
    Out

Page 401 of 604 FirstFirst ... 301351391392393394395396397398399400401402403404405406407408409410411451501 ... LastLast