RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Master
    Loaded up 50 45-70 410 gr boolits over 22gr 2400 and 50 357 mag 164gr boolits over 13.5 gr 2400.range tomorrow.

Boolit Master

Loaded 50 round of 45/70 with a Lee 405 paperpatched and 12 grains of unique.
    Sold my 1895 this morning. Guess I’ll shoot these in the trapdoor.

Nothin'....its too blasted hot to be out there.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post

redhawk
    You can say that again

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I picked up a Rossi PUMA 45 rifle (24”)

The sites where terrible. Swapped in some Marbels and then cleaned the barrel.

Tried a couple dummies bullets from the die box... ran perfect... FILLED the mag with all the differe t bullet dummies I had... Darn thing fed every single one perfectly!!

WOOHOO!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

It’s time to shorten my CBC 12 gauge single shot for farm patrol/ river riding duty. I have a new 6-48 brass bead to install after shortening the barrel to 20”. I will probably port the muzzle as well.

I made an insert for my Master Pot mould shelve in 100F heat and detailed my Master Pots early days with pics of my mods in a new thread in the Star Equipment thread in the Lubesizer, Melting pots Casting equipment thread here

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Issues-With-It

Boolit Master

I sized a few hundred PC’d boolits

I made up some 45 LC and 10mm loads

I organized the CB boxes a bit.

Then counted out some to send to a friend to try.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Eureka ! I cast some excellent Lee 6 cavity 120 gr TCN bullets with my new Master Pot. My problem was simply adjust the thermostat which I was able to dial in with the lead thermometer I bought. My new Lee bullet rest insert that goes in the other mould rest I made worked perfectly raising the Lee mould 1/4 of and inch higher then it was at the Lyman mould setting I set the shelve and my mould rest at . Now I have tubs of bullets ready to cast and a bunch to lube size. I also made a simple and effective thermometer holders from a piece of 1" flat band metal 1/8" thick as MOA here in this thread suggested, It swings oput of the way to remove dross and stir the pot or add more alloy I had the pot up to 800F and the sprues were frosted the bullets very nice . I'll add these results today to the thread in the Star equipment corner of bullets casting equipment I started on Master Pot experiences and mods . The thread link is two posts above this one Thanks to all for your replies with the troubles I had with wrinkled bullets

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MP1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	245611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MP2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	245612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MP3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	245613

Boolit Master
    Prepped a hundred 45-70 cases sized trimmed expanded and primed. But it's in the eighties can't face loading them up .

Boolit Master
    GONRA’s Suppressed 5.7x28mmFN “FiveseveN” Pistol load creation:

As others have suggested, NO ERRORS can be tolerated in 5.7x28mFN loading! KABOOM!
    (Don’t believe GONRA? Google / Search “KABOOM” on “5 7 websites”!!!)
    As with any reloading project, make sure Little Family (pets too!) are off in slumber land
    to avoid Endless Family Distractions.

Fired 5.7x28mFN cases can hava “balloon” shape that reloaders are NOT USED TO DEALING WITH. SO…. Be sure to use a Big Robust Axially Aligned Press. Rotate shell holder to find any “sweet spot”.
    With quality dies and FIRST CLASS CASE LUBE uniform resized cases will be produced.

RCBS SMALL BASE dies, STP Oil Treatment or TriFlow Synthetic Grease for a case lube verks for me.
    (If polymer coating peals off, press is out of axial alignment or you have crummy dies.)

With such setup, prepped cases dimensions should very closely match factory ammo.

No need was wash cases or otherwise make a Pointless Huge Deal “cleaning ‘em up.”
    Just leave the ultra thin sizing lube coating ON THE CASE BODY. Won’t hurt anything!!!
    (Asa general rule for semiautos, it encourages reliable functioning.)

It pays to go to extraordinary means to avoid NO or DOUBLE charges in this caliber!
    (No charge means a bullet stuck in the bore.
    Remember - blowback or (as this pistol) case wall / chamber friction retarded blowback actions
    MUST HAVE BULLET LEAVE THE BARREL or KABOOM!)
    Popular Suppressed FiveseveN Pistol load of 3.4 grains HS-6 powder CANNOT be properly
    viewed / eyeballed waaay down in the cartridge case. Don’t kid yerself on this…..

Create 3.4 grains HS-6 powder charge using RCBS scale with BEAM BALANCE PAN.
    Remove powder charged pan,
    Check charge weight with beam balance.
    Touch it up with a Powder Trickler.

Use new ALL METAL Lyman (heavy cast Aluminum) .22 funnel to properly
    drop charge into 5.7x28 EA 07 new primed cartridge case.
    (Avoids all sorts of goofy distracting STATIC issues.
    Otherwise – wonder where all those stray reloading bench powder grains come from?)

Insert (point first) 2 inch heavy concrete nail into charged case to mark it as “charged”.
    (Now you can’t DOUBLE CHARGE IT!!!!!!!)
    When a batch of cases is charged, remove markers one ata time and
    seat (flat base) 50 grain Hornady#2240 SP SX bullet with
    Hornady .224 sliding sleeve seat die Hornady Seating Die 044102 .22 .
    (Normal seat die will be Just Fine for boat tail bullets of course.)
    Last edited by GONRA; 07-23-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    Nothing. It's time to get Lori's classroom squared away. Probably the rest of the week.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Gas checked 1000 MP227-75 NATO boolits. Used every check in the box. Run them through the Star tmro.

Helped a friend build out his AR10 lower. As easy as it is building one, there's always a curve ball in there...
    WWG1WGA

Loaded a few M33 ball in .510 Whisper to do some plinking .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	245756

Cast some .44 caliber 245 gr 429421 Lyman "Elmer Keith" bullets today 100 some, tried last night but sprayed a mould with WD 40 to put it away and then picked up the 44 mould and sprayed it, so I cleaned it but not good enough and started casting wrinkled bullets and quit. Today I used some Hoppes #9 to clean the mould washed it in hot water and Dawn then in Coleman white gas fuel dried and began casting at 750F some nice 44 bullets so Im very happy with the new Master pot I did not replace a sprue till I was done. I will use Hoppes #9 on my mould to store from now on I have used it with excellent results since I got my first .22 at age 11 for Christmas 1965.

Name:	Keith42942144mould.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	245764
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails muchbetterheatsup.jpg  
    Last edited by Keith 429421; 07-24-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Top Pic is today I got the wrong pic up and cant get rid of it the bottom pic are 9mm and 45acp both good casts the other day

Got a Lee 200SWC 6 cavity .45acp mould in the mail. cleaned it with Coleman fuel, set it up and heated it by casting a few times lubed the critical points with beeswax on a pin to keep it from going all over and cast about 40 bullets then started keeping them I cast 151 good bullets at 775F The mould was up at 165F on the aluminum mould blocks and 440F on the iron sprue with my Craftsman infrared thermometer if its right. I did not replace any spures with the Master Pot having about 35 pound in it when I started casting . I weighed the spures and first bullets at 6.64 pounds and the 151 bullets at 4.38 pounds . The weight of two were 203.4 grains I selected which came out to 4.38 pounds (7000 grains to one pound) so I went through 11.02 pounds of lead just a bit more then 1/2 of my Lee 20 pound pot with 6 some pounds going back into the big pot nest time I cast. No heat issues after about 1/2 the bullets I turned the Master Pot down to 700F and it was still above 750 when I was finished I started at 775F on the Tstat and it still was going up so I will back the Tstat down a tad next time. Now that I have several tubs of cast bullets its summer and time for a break and get all those bullets lube sized and then loaded

Name:	lee200swc45acp.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	245803
    Last edited by Keith 429421; 07-25-2019 at 09:10 PM. Reason: missed a word

Scrapped 49 pieces of 243 brass after finding several that were about to come apart a half inch above the rim.

The 50th one was scrapped on the range at the last match when I had one separate when I was shooting.
    Probably should have retired that batch of brass earlier.

Dug out another box of 50, got those sized with no apparent issues.

F/L sized 40 pieces of 416 Rigby.

Stoned the knife edge pivots and cleaned up the rest of an RCBS 505 scale that belongs to a buddy. He was getting slow, jerky movement of the beam. Hope this helps repeatability.

Page 389 of 604 FirstFirst ... 289339379380381382383384385386387388389390391392393394395396397398399439489 ... LastLast