Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Master
    And all of the Glocks that I owned had factory barrels and shot lead without ever leading. I did have a 17, a 19, and a 30. The reason they and I parted ways was due to neuropathy, and I could no longer control nor hit where I was aiming, always hitting low and left. I don't have that trouble with my CZ 75 SP01 or my Ruger LC9S Pro. And I still shoot lead from those two.

I was going to cast some boolits this evening when it got cooler, but my wife had me go run a few errands.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I shoot a ton thru 40’s and 10mm many of them Glocks. I switched to PC bulelts and forgot about the worry of cast in glock barrels.

I also have a few KKM barrels and agree they are great accurate pRODUCTS. BUT they are much tighter chambers and can be VERY finicky about feeding over sized cast bullets.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I have shot thousands of cast bullets from my Glocks without issues and a bit of leading which I clean out my oldest one is a 1994 model the others are later and my 2 40's are recent. Glock changed the barrel ramps to improve the "non supported chamber issue" before I got my 40's but all the autos I've seen have an unsupported chamber compared to revolvers because of the feed ramp. The 40 has had the most publicized issues which may be because its a very modern high performance cartridge compared to the 9 and it was developed when the jacketed hollow point bullets were becoming standard for LEO use many of which are truncated cone types and that may be why the feed ramps on 40's are the way there designed. I keep my loads mid range with all my cast bullets thou I did load some 40's with 155 gr cast bullets that were hitting 1130 fps-1180 fps with HS-6 powder. I backed down on the load and now I'm using Power Pistol in the 40 and Unique in the 9's which are giving me MV of around 850-900 fps with no jamming and good shooting fun. For higher power loads in all handguns I use jacketed bullets and clean the barrels well before. I also don't like to mix the jacketed with lead without a cleaning. Ill let some solvent sit in the barrel a couple days often to get the fouling out. One of the issues with all Glocks and cast bullets is the smooth wavy polygonal rifling not the land and groove type that most handguns have , It allows cast bullets to seal very well in the barrel and up the pressures another reason I keep cast loads reasonably. I also check my brass but I don't have any special dies to smooth out the bulge in the cases which is tiny , the Glock Smile as its called. I use my Sq Deal Dillon with its own dies and a 550 Dillon on my loads with Lee and RCBS dies for the 9 and 40's Lee on the 9mm Makrov The 44 Special the 44 Mag the 45 ACP and 45 Colt and RCBS also for the 45acp and 45 Colt Lyman dies I got with my first O mag Press in 1983 with the 38/357 when I moved up from Lee Loaders to a press . I have two sets of dies as one set is set up in the Dillion 550 die blocks, the other set are used on my single station RCBS Rockchucker or the Lyman O Mag for working up small test batches of loads often when I try new powders or bullets. The reason I got my 40's is seeing all the brass I could not load which had become more common then flies on the range taking the place of the 9. I cast in my garage with good ventilation not in the "hobby " room The Sq D's have 9mm 38/357 40 SW and 45ACP setups so I can load these calibers on either press I was hoping Dillon would make a SqD conversion for the 9 Makrov too not enough demand thou I also load .223 30-30 308 and 8mm Mauser on the 550s. You can mix and match Dillon shell plates powder funnels and buttons from different conversion kits and sometimes you may only need a powder funnel to load other calibers or just a shell plate cheaper then a entire conversion kit. Dillon has a interchangeability chart of the items I like the Dillons and got my first SqD in 1987 but I feel people should always start with a single station or Lee Loader to learn how to reload and get all the basics down plus there's things you need to buy at first powder scales as a example you'll need anyway.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	handloading.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	244363
    Last edited by Keith 429421; 06-29-2019 at 04:16 PM. Reason: mispelling and more info

Boolit Buddy
    I was supposed to be doing a 12hr shift at work today. However the job I was on is cancelled, so I'll be heading home shortly on 4hrs @ double time for my troubles. When I get there, I'll be queueing up all this weekends motogp practise sessions on the telly, warming up the lee 4-20 and seeing how many mp 145gr 9mm I can punch out in a day. My lady is heading out with some friends to a show and the suns out. It is going to be an excellent day.

Boolit Buddy
    Finished processing of 7.62x39 brass, I've purchase from one of the big retailers. It was a labor of love
    Decap, wet tumble, size and trim, dry tumble to remove lube, while sizing at first I've had my decap pin installed to knock off occasional SS pin stuck in firing hole; after I broke 3(!!) pins decided that I need to deburr the flash hole; so the last
    stage was deburr & uniform flash hole, case mouth chamfer and primer pocket uniform. Now I need a good brass catcher for my AK/SKS, cause I'd hate to lose a single case from that batch

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I shoot a ton thru 40’s and 10mm many of them Glocks. I switched to PC bulelts and forgot about the worry of cast in glock barrels.

I also have a few KKM barrels and agree they are great accurate pRODUCTS. BUT they are much tighter chambers and can be VERY finicky about feeding over sized cast bullets.

CW
    My 40 barrel eats anything I put in there, but my 357 sig barrel is picky. I do have to plunk each one to make sure my crimp is good. But it is not NEARLY as finicky as my stock CZ52 barrel.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

What did you do in the reloading room today?

Casting .38s and .45s. These are NOE HG-68s and Lee 358-125. Also did some NOE 357-135 RF and Lee 452-300 RF. A fine way to spend a Sunday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Prepped some 45-70 brass ,was given a Lee trimmer by a gun shop that they'd had on the shelf for years so I tried it out .didn't think 45-70 brass would need trimming ,it did .glad I checked as I thought it was like 357 mag brass that hardly ever needs trimming.

Boolit Master
    Sunday, June 30th, I threaded both ends of eight pieces of 3/8"ODx.065"Wall 4130 tube using a 1" dia adjustable die chucked in a six jaw lathe chuck, guiding the tubes with a 1/2" capacity Tail stock Jackobs chuck and holding the tubes from spinning with a set of Locking pliers.
    These are 1/8NPT threads. I had a die stock but it was missing the lock screw so not usable.

Necessity is a 'Mother' sometimes.

Have a Happy and Safe Forth of July Holiday All!
    Chev. William

Boolit Bub
    de-primed and cleaned 350 45 Colt brass

Boolit Master
    Deprimed, sized, and primed 40 32ACP cases. Will load tonight with 1.8 grains of Red Dot.
    Last edited by sigep1764; 07-03-2019 at 12:12 AM.

Boolit Master

Casting one last pot of 180Ranch Dog 360’s before I clean and return the mold to its rightful owner! This pot will be hard 100% WW. Should yield about 750-800 bullets.

CW

Boolit Master
    Finished the 40 cases of 32ACP. Hopefully tmro I'll be test firing the NAA Guardian that was just returned from the factory last week.

Boolit Master
    As of late it's always something going on.... After Lori fell I've been somewhat babysitting, and today I had problems, so all I got to do was fill the bird feeders and round up some charcoal for the grill. At least the hamburgers came out well!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Bub
    De-primed and cleaned 350 45 Colt brass

Boolit Bub
    Grabbed a set of Dillon 45 ACP dies and 550 toolhead off of eBay last week. It arrived yesterday. Pulled the dies, powder die and funned and cleaned the tool head and then cleaned the dies. Lots of built up crud in the dies. But they are like a new set now all cleaned up.

Boolit Master
    Last night I had an awful time, today I was hoping to cast some, but decided it would be better to stay in the house today......

Cancer sucks!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

I pulled 100 pcs of newWinchester 350 Legend ammo. Tossed the -45gFMJ bullets. Saved ghe Powder. Then trimmed all cases uniformly then charged each case with 21.8g of factory powder. Then I resized 140 gHornady FTX BULLETS. Topping each case with a bullet seated all bullets.

CW

Boolit Master

Loaded enough 7.62x54r to get me through the Bolt-gun match tomorrow.

With the match occurring monthly, one would think I would have the ammo loaded up enough in advance that I wouldn't have to load it the day before.

One would be wrong.

Nothing... But I did UNload a bunch of 308/8mm Mauser and 40 S&W...
    Fun day!
    And, somebody before us was shooting nickle plated 40S&W... So I got a bunch of fancy brass.
    WWG1WGA

Page 385 of 604 FirstFirst ... 285335375376377378379380381382383384385386387388389390391392393394395435485 ... LastLast