Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Master

Hi all. Had a few minutes, so I PC'd some 330 Goulds I cast last weekend. I'll down size these to .452 and shoot them out of my TC G2 Contender. The different colors represent weight groups +/- 0.2 gr. Ed
    Attachment 234528

Boolit Man
    Watched a video from Fortunecookie45LC on how to fix issue of shaving lead when seating 38 spc wadcutters when using 38/357 seating dies. Fix was to use a 44 mag seating die. Worked like a champ!!!! Loaded about 100 rounds using my new old Dillon 550 I just picked up from Offerup for $175.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well I got a little mobile today and my wife went back to work with no one to pamper me I got bored and out the shop I went. I got my new boyd stock out and started fitting it to my action. I guess I got about 30 mins worth of work done and it only took me 4 hours lol,
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Man
    Put stuff in its place that I purchased last week and said goodbye for a few days!

Boolit Master

milled out a 80% lower and assembled a new ar on it. word of advice, have 2 spring kits cause you will lose a spring.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Installed a new extractor and spring in an old Savage Model 23A for a friend. I love making old stuff work again.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    milled out a 80% lower and assembled a new ar on it. word of advice, have 2 spring kits cause you will lose a spring.
    What kit did you use?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    CASE PREP!
    After reading a lot about trimming, with the responses running maybe 60-40% against, and a lot of experienced and credible reloaders on this and other forums saying "I never trim", and after reading Patrick Sweeney's book on reloading, where he quoted one of the Gurus of match shooting, (Found the quote...a bit more exclusive than I remembered...) "...if your shooting skills allow you to shoot groups that are three to four inches in size at 25 yards, trying to sort out charges that may or may not vary by half an inch in their performance is a fool's quest." Needless to say, I was a bit discouraged!

I will never be a Jerry Miculek or Brian Enos, with all the marvelous stuff they do with handguns...that's for sure! But. IMNHO, they take stuff too seriously! For their level of competition, they have to.

For me, and I would wager a significant portion of forum members, It's all about the fun, and challenge, not to mention the search for "the" load!

I'll probably never shoot 1,000 rounds per year, and think all except serious competitors who brag about their numbers are like the guy I once met at Photography seminar. The first words out of his mouth were; "How many rolls to you shoot a month?" I never played that game, but it is more serious now, in the Digital era where Pixels are Cheap! My buddy, the Canon shooter brags he can do 4,000 exposures in a day at the race track! I tell him, with some certitude, "If you're good, you don't need thousands of exposures!" I am satisfied with my 250 per day. But, I digress!

I figure if I even want to approach figures I am satisfied with, I do need to be concerned with consistency, and that's why I spent some hours in the reloading room, trimming cases to within +- .003, uniforming flash holes, performing plunk tests of several hundred reloaded rounds in my Dillon Case gauge (No discards!) and performing other procedures of Ballistic Proctology. Some, I will only have to do once! So, as much as possible, having removed some variables I can concentrate on producing a personally satisfactory level of accuracy while enjoying myself! YMMV!
    Last edited by sniper; 01-25-2019 at 08:33 AM.

Boolit Master

-----------------------

I did not do a thing in the reloading area today , nor did I smelt or cast. But I should have...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    CASE PREP!
    After reading a lot about trimming, with the responses running maybe 60-40% against, and a lot of experienced and credible reloaders on this and other forums saying "I never trim", and after reading Patrick Sweeney's book on reloading, where he quoted one of the Gurus of match shooting, saying that if you can't shoot little groups at 25 yards, any attempt at changing components, etc., with the idea of improving groups as much as 1/4 inch, is wasted effort, I was a bit discouraged!

I will never be a Jerry Miculek or Brian Enos, with all the marvelous stuff they do with handguns...that's for sure! But. IMNHO, they take stuff too seriously! For their level of competition, they have to.

For me, and I would wager a significant portion of forum members, It's all about the fun, and challenge, not to mention the search for "the" load!

I'll probably never shoot 1,000 rounds per year, and think all except serious competitors who brag about their numbers are like the guy I once met at Photography seminar. The first words out of his mouth were; "How many rolls to you shoot a month?" I never played that game, but it is more serious now, in the Digital era where Pixels are Cheap! My buddy, the Canon shooter brags he can do 4,000 exposures in a day at the race track! I tell him, with some certitude, "If you're good, you don't need thousands of exposures!" I am satisfied with my 250 per day. But, I digress!

I figure if I even want to approach figures I am satisfied with, I do need to be concerned with consistency, and that's why I spent some hours in the reloading room, trimming cases to within +- .004, uniforming flash holes, performing plunk tests of several hundred reloaded rounds in my Dillon Case gauge (No discards!) and performing other procedures of Ballistic Proctology. Some, I will only have to do once! So, as much as possible, having removed some variables I can concentrate on producing a personally satisfactory level of accuracy while enjoying myself! YMMV!
    Well said, hats off to you. I often think of how a simple post about personal preference can incite a torrent of admonishing remarks and belittling of one's own tried and true practices. The proverbial cat has been successfully freed of its hide by more methods than can be tallied, and I think that is often lost in the quest of newest/sexiest/"best".
    I learned to reload as a youngster out of economic necessity, and continue to do so out of fond memories of my mentors taking the time to feed me that knowledge.
    Long story short; be safe to the nth degree, be courteous of our colleagues, and seek to reap knowledge from the collective to better ourselves.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Finally did some reloading. Needed more 45/70s for my trip down south and a potential pig hunt.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Grand Master

Would I like to shoot smaller groups?
    Heck yeah!
    Am I able to put in the time and expense to improve?
    Not enough time or money to make a measurable improvement.
    Just how important is perfection?
    The most important thing to me is defending my family. Beyond that, if it isn't fun, it's a waste.
    My 77 yo eyes have had the benefit of surgery and protection, but will never see any better. My hands shake, and that will only get worse, neither of which allow much improvement, no matter how many rounds I fire. The time spent preping brass is a necessary evil, but a necessary extension of the time spent shooting. Besides, I don't have to wait on favorable weather and can process brass a few minutes at a time between Dr visits.
    To me, it's just a matter of perspective.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy

Started sorting, mil. comm., and prepping 45acp. Labeling brass containers as to what is inside and general clean up and organizing.

Boolit Master
    Sized and lubed a few 30 cal......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Last night was a test... I have a few plastic stocked rifles that should be re stocked... But frankly I don't want to out the $$ into them. Sweat equity is fine tho.

SO, I bought some carbon Fiber rods and tubes on eBay for cheap. The plan is to hog out the forends and drop in these tubes bedded in epoxy for the added strength and rigidity.

Last night I started on a Savage B mag as I have two stocks for this one. So far so GOOD!!

Was easy to snap off the ribs in the forend with needle nosed plyers. I trimmed the 8mm solid rods down with a dremil and dry fit them. Mixed some Devcon epoxy, then the rods followed by more epoxy. Filled to the top of the center rib I left in place. I did have to remove the plastic "tower" that was for the forend screw. But no worries, I'll re drill into the epoxy once completed.

This AM, the stock was cool and STIFF!! NOT much weight added either. I used maybe a 1/4 cup of epoxy. 2 minutes with a 3/4 rough file and the 2/3 high spots where flush.

Tonight or this weekend, I will fill the butt with something...Its hollow and also flexable.

Then I will install the action and bed the rifle to the stock. NOT a full bed as there aint really a "full" stock here. Rather, I'll bed the front of the barrel in front of the front action screw, float the barrel and a tiny bit at the tang at the rear action screw. This rifle as no recoil lug. Might need to go back and add barrel support as it is a skinny barrel...but that's easily don't later.

This was a pretty good shooter even tho a pencil barrel. Mostly I didn't like the flex in the stock. But surely this will enhance accuracy or at the very least be favorable towards it.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 01-28-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Helped a mate sort his brass stash then started him sizing trimming and priming his 223 brass.had a few crimped in primers ,showed him how to use chamfer tool to remove crimp . put the world to rights while I supervised his work .range tomorow .

Boolit Master
    Cast more 30 cal and 9mm boolits. Also loaded 4 30/30 cases w/.7cc of Bullseye for fireforming.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Cast some 240 grn PB boolits for my 44 mag and a TON of 85 grn 30 cal for my tok...
    The timing is totally different when casting these.

Attachment 234769
    WWG1WGA

Was loading 45acf on the Lee load master and blew another primer. This time it fed upside down. And James it in the next primer. *** .

Their was no extra force needed.

This press is just horrible at priming.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    No brown pants moment like FlyingMonkey, but the power adapter for the Lyman Universal Trimmer is a limb saver! Trimmed a few hundred brass in a couple hours and my shoulders feel awesome. Then finished prepping them with the chamber and deburring bits in the drill.

Page 354 of 603 FirstFirst ... 254304344345346347348349350351352353354355356357358359360361362363364404454 ... LastLast