MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Master
    Today when the sun comes up and I get really awake I'll be building test loads in 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Magnum using the 107 grain full wadcutter boolits I just minted in a NEI mold, sized .313 and lubed with BAC. The plan is to push these just fast enough to stabilize them, as I already have enough other lighter boolits to use for higher speed applications. Over the years I have had an ongoing relationship with the 32 revolvers in a quest for accuracy and point of aim/impact. These are the fun calibers that occasionally make a trip through the woods with me. If carrying a 38 or 44 caliber the first few rounds are usually shot (#12) loads for snakes and such. It would be a thrill if Speer would introduce a 32 caliber shot capsule, or I may experiment by building shot loads with double gas checks for the 32s. After all, why not? Having said that, why not today!

Boolit Master

Another 1000 9mm through the sizer.

Wet tumbled a bunch of 30-06 military brass. Found two Remington UMC 1906 cases in with them. Sweet! That is what the 06 stands for. Cartridge originally was the 30 caliber, 1906 model. I took the 1930 - 70's brass after wet tumble and ran it through walnut media with some nu-finish. Would like that old brass protected. It is very clean right now. Sorted it by years during the game.

I also ran three loads (or was it 4) of range brass through the wet tumbler. Just made faces at the loading press I'm trying to set up for .32 acp which is sort of like making progress, only without the progress to muddle it up.

Starting to eye more shelving for brass, hulls, and finished. Unfortunately dear wife is starting to eye basement as possible arts, crafts, reading aka more space to decorate and furnish. As if the two of us need another TV, couch and reading chair. Well bench is on concrete part, I'm pretty sure (hoping) she will stay on the carpeted part.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Cleaned. Not fun. It all started because I can't find my Rem 870 Rifled and Modified choke tubes and wrench! Oh the humanity!

(still haven't)

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Grand Master

Still processing pistol brass. Finished tumbling the 40's (finally) and started on the 45's. Found more small primer brass than I remembered having but the ease of sizing the 45's compared to the 40's was a welcome change. I'll work on the 45's a lot this week and hopefully fire up the smelter and process the last of the wheel weights.

Boolit Master

Cast up 100 12ga slugs too.

Boolit Master
    50 -38spec. with Unique under 124gr. 2R as cast, & 100 - .380ACP with Bullseye under 102- 1R "as cast" to see how they do, along with some other rounds I have built, & hope to be plinking later in the week if it warms up a bit out of the 0-10F range & less wind. My fingers get cold with the Air Crew/Tanker gloves I use for shooting in the cold, so I try to shoot as much as I can, then warm up & then shoot again..

I have very few folks who want to go shooting with me in this sort of temps & weather in MN , outside... So, it is usually a solo trip , unless I bring along the dogs...

Hooking up again later in the week with the feller who I am trying to help learn reloading. Hopefully by the weekend we will be back in his reloading area & finishing up some more 38 Spec. for him to shoot, that he made himself.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Loaded up another 50 9mm rounds, this time with Bullseye, then sized and lubed some 9 mm and .358 boolits.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Man
    Loaded up some new 45-70's with the lee 405hb to use in my danish 11.7 roller

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post

I have very few folks who want to go shooting with me in this sort of temps & weather in MN , outside... So, it is usually a solo trip , unless I bring along the dogs...

I would think if one lives in a cold climate one should practice in cold weather. While it might be nice if the bad guy would wait for warmer weather you know how criminals are, just so unreliable and often uncooperative.

Seriously had a sheriff's weapons training officer who told me when the officers showed up on the line at the outside range and started taking off their bulky gloves and stripping off their heavy coats to sweatshirts underneath he stopped them and said "you are going to shoot in what you wear in the real world because changing gloves and hanging up your overcoat are not generally real world options" Made sense to me.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Master

Very good points. Train in real use situations.

Boolit Master
    Cast about 500 of the Lee 228 .45 round nose, and 250 or so .38 caliber wadcutters from a 3 cavity Cramer. In the gaps when the pot was getting back up to temp after refilling, I disassembled 70 or so 25-06 reloads, purchased from .... I can't remember anymore!

Interesting part was, I thought I would check to see what the powder charges weighed, to see if they matched any particular powder recommended for the cartridge. Mind you, these were in a couple of plastic bags, labeled: 25-06 made from 30-06.

I will warn ya'all once again - don't shoot someone else's reloads!!!!
    ( I know that most of 'ya wouldn't, but there's always that one guy, that thinks HE can get away with it! )

The powder charges varied from 45 - 57 grains of a stick powder, and 40 to 50 grains of a fine ball powder. There was no consistency at all, except for the 90 gr. fmj hollow point that was loaded on top of the powder. I didn't weight them all, but after going through about a third of them, I was just shaking my head...
    Got some good bullets and brass though!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Enough said
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-031S.JPG  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I would think if one lives in a cold climate one should practice in cold weather. While it might be nice if the bad guy would wait for warmer weather you know how criminals are, just so unreliable and often uncooperative.

Seriously had a sheriff's weapons training officer who told me when the officers showed up on the line at the outside range and started taking off their bulky gloves and stripping off their heavy coats to sweatshirts underneath he stopped them and said "you are going to shoot in what you wear in the real world because changing gloves and hanging up your overcoat are not generally real world options" Made sense to me.
    Sounds good to me as we had to train with out second chance and life vest on back in the old Coast Guard.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master
    I started a topic about "cold weather" shooting & such a short time back, & had little interest/few replies on the subject... Sad,IMO, , but true...
    I guess some folks just don't shoot in the cold, or at least... do not want to discuss it in a forum.

Other than that, I am cleaning the reloading area tonite. I have made enough of a mess & need to clean & re-organize..
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I do no shooting in winter.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Well when the temps hit single digits it is enough to make one tend to think maaaybeee just maybe trimming brass inside would be better than shooting outside.

Loved that
    "There was no consistency at all, except for the 90 gr. fmj hollow point that was loaded on top of the powder"
    Well they got that part right anyway.
    Post is sort of a reminder to me that as I get older it might make sense to shoot down to a lower inventory. The components will have more value than the loaded ammo, outside of family use. Of course if I retire and have more time for range I might find myself using inventory faster anyway.

Boolit Master
    When you retire you'll find that you will load more than you shoot.......

Today I sized the .357 boolits I had cast. Maybe tomorrow I'll cast some more. There's always time to putter......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    This afternoon I loaded 32 S&W Long cases with 2.5 grains Bullseye, a Federal standard small pistol primer and a .313" round nose boolit weighing 91 grains of ACWW. That weight is an odd duck. Nominal boolit weight for the 32 S&W (short) is 85 grains. Nominal weight for the 32 S&W Long is 93-98 grains, depending on the manufacturer and year of production, with consideration that weights outside that range may also have been loaded by someone's (?) factory. The mold for these boolits is an Ideal tong tool, one that I bought recently just because it was so clean. It works perfectly for casting and is a delight to explain to anyone who has never seen one before. Tomorrow I will test these loads for accuracy. Perhaps the next time I cast with this mold I will use another lead blend (pure, lino, whatever) to watch the weight change.

Boolit Master

Reamed primer pockets on ~300 more 9mm brass.

I have no idea why I continue processing 9mm brass. I don't shoot it all that much. I probably have 1500 ready to load, and about 700 loaded. Add that to probably 2000 more pieces untouched.

Maybe if I stop picking it up off the ground I'll stop processing it.

Maybe.

Page 282 of 601 FirstFirst ... 182232272273274275276277278279280281282283284285286287288289290291292332382 ... LastLast