MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Grand Master

Really slow around here, so, I just sized/deprimed and tumbled 100-125 .44 Special cases I found behind my .44 Magnum brass...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Mounted a spare 3x9 Leupold onto the large action Martini in .38-55 I bought recently and then bore sighted it. The vintage Lyman All American 6x that was on it is so dusty and dirty inside the lenses that you can barely see through it. I've neck expanded some .30-30 cases and will load some 255 grain .378" boolits and will fire form them. Then I'll finally get a chance to try out my Kal Max Case Stretcher and stretch them out to full length .38-55's. Now I need to get it out to the range and fire a few test rounds through it ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Made room on the bench for a new lyman CYCLONE yippie
    Today I Learned That I know less than I Thought.
    Tommorow will be the same, I'm Sure!!

Boolit Master

Nice!!

Boolit Master

Used my Magma Engineering Exercise Machine today

Using a Magma Engineering Exercise Machine (aka Case Master Jr.) I push-through sized about 1500 .40 S&W cases (15 pounds at 99.9 cases per pound). I began to notice a different feel to cases as they went through the die. It slowed me down but I was curious so started looking at headstamps and firing pin marks for conventional or Glock strikes. Winchester brass that had been fired in a Glock went through just with increasing pressure. Some brands with round firing pin marks had a distinct feel as the rim passed through the die and a second resistance as the web passed through. No doubt the Winchester/Glock combo felt as it did due the the generous diameter of the Glock chamber. The way brass goes through the system it's hard to check the headstamps first to predict how they will feel so I don't have any info on how Winchester fired in other firearms felt. I only looked at exceptionally hard and exceptionally easy cases.

The Case Master Jr. is an arbor press with a nifty case loader and a modified Dillon .40 S&W sizing die. Magma says the die has been diamond honed to take the taper out. If some of this sounds familiar I mentioned it briefly in another recent post. I have push-through sized with an unmodified Dillon sizing die in .40 S&W and there is a huge difference in the feel of that die in a loading press and the modified die in the arbor press. To further enhance the speed and ease of sizing a large batch I adapted my Dillon 650 casefeeder to the Case Master Jr. The sustained throughput is about 1000/hr at a cyclic rate of 1200/hr. It's amazing how little more production I got trying to really push it. The comfortable cyclic rate is 20-22/minute. Busting tail it goes up to about 24/minute. NOT worth the extra effort. The Glock fired Winchester cases require probably 30-40 pounds of downforce on the handle where the easy cases can take as little as 9-10 pounds. This machine would really benefit from an air cylinder on the ram but I'm estimating that it would have to be able to supply up to 400 pounds of force. The handle cycles about 230 degrees for a ram stroke of 2.5".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Case Master Jr 1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	197238 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CM Jr Feeder.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	197239 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CM Jr Ram Pushing Case.jpg 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	197240 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CM Jr with Dillon Casefeeder.jpg 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	197241

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    more 8x57. LEE 175 gr. RN.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

What did you do in the reloading room today?

Converting 7.5x55 berdan GP11 brass

-First step was to run in a FL sizing die with drill bit collet inserted to hold the drill bit steady.
    -Next I beveled the old primer.
    -Next step was to drill out primer cap but leave the sidewalls.
    -Next to swedge primer pocket with RCBS swedger.
    -Next to drill out depth with Lyman adapter.
    -Next to seat primer and go!
    Last edited by mwells72774; 06-09-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Boolit Master

How often do you loose the 'old' primer sides in a deprime?

What did you do in the reloading room today?

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    How often do you loose the 'old' primer sides in a deprime?
    So far for swedging and drilling, maybe 2 out of 40ish. With this swedging process it really lines everything up specially how the RCS swedger is beveled so that guides the Lyman trimmer perfectly. Also the swedging kind of pushes everything out.

Also I haven't really tried the depriming step yet. I suspect that the lumber will be relatively low, but maybe that is wishful thinking

Boolit Mold
    I am in the process of outfitting a 12x20 high wall barn using many of the ideas put forth. I am super insulating due to having to go solar. Our electric company wanted more then the cost of solar for power. Propane for heat and led lamps for light. Starting out with 400 watts and then will add to this up to 2,000 watts with a gas generator for backup. I am building a separate area to cast in using a 60 pound propane pot as I have many 4 and 6 gang molds. My Husky dog is part wolf so I am naming the place Wolf's Lair in her honor.
    Sam

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mwells72774 View Post
    So far for swedging and drilling, maybe 2 out of 40ish. With this swedging process it really lines everything up specially how the RCS swedger is beveled so that guides the Lyman trimmer perfectly. Also the swedging kind of pushes everything out.

Also I haven't really tried the depriming step yet. I suspect that the lumber will be relatively low, but maybe that is wishful thinking
    When you test the deprime, would you post the loss %. Bim following this and a few other berdan to boxer threads.

I've seen everything from swedge ymlike yours to superglue to very controversial soldering.

Primed several with spent primers and recapped. Not a sleeve removed. All held true

Boolit Master
    Decapped and sized some 444 marlin brass to make 410 shotshells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sized and lubed a whole bunch of MP-HG50-HBWC with the cone pin, and lube sized a whole lot (a lot a lot) of the MP359-135FP aluminum 8 cavity.
    Didn't expect to make that much 9mm, usually took me 2-3 hours longer to make that many boolits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Master

been working on some bee loads using ground corn my chickens kick out of the feeded. Works great on top of some green dot in a 44 mag case. Kills at 6 feet and wont knock the paint off wood. Even swagged up a few 44 bullets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44 swag.jpg  
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    I did my favorite part of loading. I tossed a big coffee can of dirty brass in the tumbler after I went shooting. I love clean brass but getting it dirty is the best!

Boolit Buddy

Smile for today, with the depth of stuff piled around,

dug down and found the floor, to see what color the carpet was in there
    best one of the month,

about unique and IMR unequal, They really did duplicate it, made it equally unobtainable

Boolit Buddy
    Good morning,
    Today is to finish up what I started last night. TL'd 500 358 SWC and 500 #68's for 45ACP, today I put them away.
    Have a Super Sunday!

Boolit Buddy
    hahahah i threw away 15 empty ice cream / butter / cool whip containers

Boolit Buddy

Ruther Glen,Va. Recently escaped from Peoples Democratic of Illinois
    Amen to that brother. Spend more time looking for stuff I put away so I won't forget. Lolo