RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Buddy
    Converted 50 .303 into .410
    Loaded a dozen with 11.5 gr Blue dot.maybe do up the rest tomorrow
    I used my 9.3 FLS die to open up the case mouths.The felt OP wad and 3x9mm cork wads need less fiddling, seat well, Topped off with 1/2 oz of No.7, OS wad and Shower silicon sealant.
    Am looking at screwing the wad to a 150 gr .38 CB wadcutter, patch with teflon tape to .395" and experiment- after the cases have fireformed.
    Now to turn the kids loose...
    Last edited by eljefeoz; 05-10-2017 at 04:32 AM.
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I think you will blow right through those blocks. How are you going to catch the boolit?
    Why would you think I'm going to blow right thru?

You don't even know what I'm shooting?

I'm not going to send a 338 lapua into it..

It's properly calibrated ballistics gelatin with 8cm 17 cal bb penetration. It should be very very close to 10% fbi spec gelatin. The rectangle block is almost a foot long. If a self defense projectile is exiting a foot of simulated swine flesh, it's not doing it's job in any sense of the word. The test will be with a layer of bluejeans denim, over a layer of cotton shirt, over a cut of ribs that will be layered at the front of the block. Behind the block will be a box panel of 1/2" drywall to simulate an interior house wall. Behind that will be a milkjug of red water.

My plan is to shoot from inside house / self defense distances. if the projectile penetrates the drywall, it's a failure IMHO. If the projectile penetrates the water/food coloring milk jug, it a failure plus it's showing that it can wound people after a thru and thru shot.

Ammo tested will be hornady critical defense 45 acp and 380 acp. Both will get the material/gelatin/drywall test.

As far as the cyl shaped block, I've seen plenty of video's on youtube using a small block like that, then shooting down the center of it. then cutting it open to see what it did.

Well...Soundguy, 'once upon a time recently' I started a thread about HP's and 'in house self defense shooting'...had pretty much the same ideas you mention here...I was working with the wife's .38 Special snubbie. Snubs are limited in developing speed so long as you are working with the 'Special standard load', non +P...eventually elvis ammo tested them in his 18" gel blocks Hollow Point (CONTROLLED EXPANSION) Initiator Rounds ===) - Duration: 23:10. elvis ammo 1,371 views .
    That round only developed 760 FPS, IIRC'ly and penetration was 11.25 - -12.5". He didn't shoot through denim but the denim won't offer any resistance, it will only defeat the mushrooming ability of the HP as it passes through and gets clogged with material, defeating the hydraulic pressure needed to expand and open it up.

Any pistol round faster, heavier or non-HP is going to penetrate even further. So, at best these small blocks you are making could only represent a 'body' they are passing through...makes sense to me, you don't have to get defensive over it...I'm not a detractor all I offer is a little information.

Save your defensive attitude for the fellas that'll come and comment as you publish your results...some will say, "If it ain't a FBI Load....", then there starts the peeing match. Sometimes people just can't let you accomplish what you want without raining on your parade!

good luck...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

You are apparently unfamiliar with the hornady critical defense ammo. It has a silicone rubber plug in the cavity of the hollow point to prevent clogging by clothing, and the silicone rubber is suposed to mimic the hyd pressure of tissue expanding the hp open.

I also saw no mention of the ribs I will be using, as those will perfectly simulate bone found in a chest cavity.

The 380 is going to have less muzzle energy than the 38. ( lighter projectile, same speed ). The 45 was tested between 658 fps and 706 fps.

And yes.. I thought that was the point I was making.. these small blocks are especially meant to simulate a 'body'. I don't want a 36" block if I am trying to see if a projectile will exit the average bad guy and penetrate an interior wall.

I don't see too many 3' thick murder'ers charging people, unless maybee they are in a power chair at walmart or something.

Me and a couple buddies are doing the test for personal edification.. I should have known it would have been a mistake to talk about it on a firearms related forum.... that' won't happen again..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post

Me and a couple buddies are doing the test for personal edification.. I should have known it would have been a mistake to talk about it on a firearms related forum.... that' won't happen again..
    That would be disappointing.

I even went to look at your past posts to see if you had been discussing this project somewhere so I could learn more.
    I hope you change your mind about sharing it, as I am pretty doggone sure your testing results would be well received by more than just me about this subject. I do hope you will reconsider sharing your results.

JB
    -----------------

Todays reloading projects are to clean as many of the cases I have sorted as I can, while pan lubing & tumble lubing boollits for loading.

You are apparently unfamiliar with the hornady critical defense ammo. It has a silicone rubber plug in the cavity of the hollow point to prevent clogging by clothing, and the silicone rubber is suposed to mimic the hyd pressure of tissue expanding the hp open.

I also saw no mention of the ribs I will be using, as those will perfectly simulate bone found in a chest cavity.

The 380 is going to have less muzzle energy than the 38. ( lighter projectile, same speed ). The 45 was tested between 658 fps and 706 fps.

And yes.. I thought that was the point I was making.. these small blocks are especially meant to simulate a 'body'. I don't want a 36" block if I am trying to see if a projectile will exit the average bad guy and penetrate an interior wall.

I don't see too many 3' thick murder'ers charging people, unless maybee they are in a power chair at walmart or something.

I told you..."I'm not a detractor!" Why are you acting so sensitive over this experiment?

You could have mentioned your intent in the first post with the pictures. People usually use the gel to stop the boolits and measure expansion and penetration...in your case you have a different idea...all you need do is let us in on the project, you'll find overwhelming support with most of us.

If this is how you are to deal with...heck, do us a favor and don't publish.
    If you're having a tough morning...I understand, lets talk empirical evidence...pictures and data.

charlie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I told you..."I'm not a detractor!" Why are you acting so sensitive over this experiment?

You could have mentioned your intent in the first post with the pictures. People usually use the gel to stop the boolits and measure expansion and penetration...in your case you have a different idea...all you need do is let us in on the project, you'll find overwhelming support with most of us.

If this is how you are to deal with...heck, do us a favor and don't publish.
    If you're having a tough morning...I understand, lets talk empirical evidence...pictures and data.

charlie
    This is a "what did you do in your reloading room TODAY" thread

My initial post was just that, making gelatin, then unmolding. Since I didn't test the day I posted the pics, I saw no need to elaborate about the eventual entire process in a "what did you do in your reloading room TODAY" Thread.

I only made a second post per someone's request, as I was going to start its own full thread with details on the projectile and intent of the test with a short 'body thickness' block.

Regardless of you including the 'not a detractor' wording, your post came across as assuming and aggressive, so yes, of course faced with that, my reply was defensive. And here your next reply sounds aggressive and assuming in tone again " if this is how you are to deal with..."

And yes, I'm very much thinking about not publishing here, due to solely, your comments and attitude.

I will be posting on a few other forums however. Those people are looking forward to the results of what will happen using known commercial ammo, clothing, animal tissue, and the simulated tissue.

And no, I'm not being sensitive about this test, its going to occur regardless of comments from detractors or um, non detractors.

Not having a bad day, or wasn't anyway..
    Last edited by Soundguy; 05-10-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post

I even went to look at your past posts to see if you had been discussing this project somewhere so I could learn more.
    I hope you change your mind about sharing it, as I am pretty doggone sure your testing results would be well received by more than just me about this subject. I do hope you will reconsider sharing your results.

JB
    -----------------

Todays reloading projects are to clean as many of the cases I have sorted as I can, while pan lubing & tumble lubing boollits for loading.
    Your defacto forum spokesperson would prefer otherwise, per his post above.

Glad he wasn't a detractor.. Given the percieved aggressive tone, I'd hate to see some comments that were detracting!

Gee whiz! I haven't been dressed down like that in years!

Anybody know where I can go to get 'sensitivity/aggressiveness' training'?

Here's my opening comment...((( I think you will blow right through those blocks. How are you going to catch the boolit? )))

Yeah...I need some sensitivity and or aggressiveness training for sure!

Just for my own edification..."How old are you?"

Boolit Master

I'm not sure how that private info is any of your business, or relevant to this thread., but old enough to have grown a not so stylish foot long 'duck dynasty' mostly grey beard 20 years ago.

( wait... Is this secretly gunboards?? If so, all this makes sense now.. )
    Last edited by Soundguy; 05-10-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post

JB
    ----------------
    I agree with JB. I would also like very much to see/hear/read the results of your experiment. This is useful data.

Boolit Master

I'll be PM'ing JB a link to the website I post the pics/data on, ill try to remember to PM you as well

I'll be PM'ing JB a link to the website I post the pics/data on, ill try to remember to PM you as well
    Thanks. I'll be looking forward to it.

Boolit Master

Melted roof jack, lead pipe, and range scrap, added a bit of Linotype and cast up
    about 200 one pound ingots yesterday afternoon.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    ..... I should have known it would have been a mistake to talk about it on a firearms related forum.... that' won't happen again..
    @Soundguy:Please do reconsider posting a thread on THIS forum with your full test. Many of us would like to read about it. Just remember, on a forum it's so easy for "written" words to come across with a totally different attitude than would if it were "spoken" words where "tone" could be heard as well.

Your comment this is the "what I did today" thread is exactly right and doesn't focus on total project, just perhaps the announcement of general plans for a project, just as you did. "IF" you stay with your decision not to post the project in it's own thread on this site, perhaps you would consider posting a thread with a link? I just hope I don't miss the thread.

Hang in there Friend and have a good day.

Ken H>

MP 358429HP
    Lyman 358429
    NOE 326365

Tired but happy. Not looking forward to lubrisizing all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Master

Simply beautiful!

Thank you for showing bullets.

I bought a Harbor Freight bench grinder stand, $26, after a 20% off coupon.
    And I'm going to mount my Lee turret on it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/univer...tand-3184.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
    I bought a Harbor Freight bench grinder stand, $26, after a 20% off coupon.
    And I'm going to mount my Lee turret on it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/univer...tand-3184.html
    dont forget to weigh it down with something

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Page 205 of 605 FirstFirst ... 105155195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215255305 ... LastLast