Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Today was the most rewarding day in along time...

8 x 57mm - 252 grain Ideal 320378 - GC'd & PC'd - 40 grains H4831SC - "Uhh ?"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    Hahahaha me too and have spent hours looking for the little critters.
    I even used my " I can find anything" trick - turned off the lights, set a flashlight parallel to the floor, so the beam sweeps across floor level...no luck.

That primer used the same trick that whitetails use to disappear. I think it went through an inter-dimensional doorway.

Boolit Master
    I`m sure that you will find it the first time that you vacuum the loading room.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Test loads for a 450 Nitro Express using Lyman 457122, waaay light bullet, but looking for a practice/plinking load. Just looking at the loaded round is fun. It looks like something out of a road runner cartoon....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post

There's a live primer on the loose, somewhere in that room. I heard the primer hit the floor, then it disappeared.....
    I'll send my wife over, she found one of mine with her bare heel this morning....wasn't a good start for her day, or mine....

Boolit Master
    I made another major step into the 21st Century this week. A K&M Arbor Press with a dial indicator.

I was having some minor fliers with my BR 308 Win rifle and the old Lyman 311284. I could never pin it down before the K&M arrived. I had some recent casts segregated into 2/10ths GR. Even using Wilson hand dies, there was an occasional unexplained flier. For awhile I thought lube purge, but this batch was half powder coated, the other half lubed (trial time), then sized in a home made version of the LEE push thru. Get the dial indicator zeroed with the needle at 12:00 o'clock dead up. I seat the first three, with less than .002" dial movement. Number four moved the needle .007" although the seating pressure felt about the same. Another variable to work on.

Anyway, I had forty rounds, twenty of each, and each batch had a couple that were over the .002" reading. I use a 36X Leupold FCH for testing. Sure enough, every round over the .002" went out of the group, no pattern, just out .250-.300". The .002" made groups in the .450" range, under 1/2" aggregate for six groups.

So, I found another (very) important variable I can eliminate.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    I made another major step into the 21st Century this week. A K&M Arbor Press with a dial indicator.

I was having some minor fliers with my BR 308 Win rifle and the old Lyman 311284. I could never pin it down before the K&M arrived. I had some recent casts segregated into 2/10ths GR. Even using Wilson hand dies, there was an occasional unexplained flier. For awhile I thought lube purge, but this batch was half powder coated, the other half lubed (trial time), then sized in a home made version of the LEE push thru. Get the dial indicator zeroed with the needle at 12:00 o'clock dead up. I seat the first three, with less than .002" dial movement. Number four moved the needle .007" although the seating pressure felt about the same. Another variable to work on.

Anyway, I had forty rounds, twenty of each, and each batch had a couple that were over the .002" reading. I use a 36X Leupold FCH for testing. Sure enough, every round over the .002" went out of the group, no pattern, just out .250-.300". The .002" made groups in the .450" range, under 1/2" aggregate for six groups.

So, I found another (very) important variable I can eliminate.
    You can index the eccentric cartridges in your chamber, which will reduce group sizes for the rejects. Firing them in a good chamber is the best way to get them concentric again.

Sizing balls, expansion and seating are the worst culprits for creating eccentricity.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Moderator Emeritus

The craziest thing...
    I'm loading some 38spl WC today.
    the last time (3 years ago), that I loaded WC, I had a heck of a time with the Pacific seating die (It was the first time using these dies, I had previously use Lee dies (as well as RCBS) and always had WC seating issues with them).

I even made a note(3 years ago) to modify a unused seater stem, as the set (357/38) came with three different ones.

Today, I can't find the box with the other two stems in? I did find another complete set of Pacific dies, the box labeled 38spl (no mention of 357). There is only one seater stem and it's in the seater die...and it looks like it's for WC. I guess it's smart to always be buying these old sets when I find them at the gunshow for cheap prices. I don't even remember buying this set, but the box was marked $7.

edited: found 'em the old box was 6" away from the New box of dies I bought, but the old box was in a bag...I didn't look into the bag til this evening, jeez?
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 04-28-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I loaded a couple hundred of the load that works best so far in my Springfield Armory Mil-spec 45 ACP.
    I have tried several different boolit/bullet and powder combinations. What I came up with was the Lee 200 grain SWC/H&G68 clone over 4.1 grains of WST. Smooth shooting and very accurate in my pistol.

Boolit Master
    Guilty....found my lyman and rcbs molds were developing surface rust from lack of use. vinegar and toothbrush cleaned them right up luckily, they are now oiled heavily in ziplock bags. I thought being indoors would be enough but Houston humidity never fails.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Getting a few molds ready, since I bought the Rossi 92 357 and 38's seem to disappear at 9mm rates!
    Have been refinishing the stock with dark tung oil, changed out the follower for stainless and working to smooth out the edge that always seems to hang up just past the loading gate.

Then hopefully by the time I have her back together I'll manage to marathon cast 358429 HP and solids and load up some ammo.

Now that I mention it, I haven't actually worked up ammo for the Rossi, just whatever worked best in my 686. I should get on that, since I might set it up with a scout 1-7x scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Grand Master

Have a new to me (ca. 1894) 1886 Winchester in 45-70 to feed and my Marlin hunting loads are a bit warmer than I want to shoot in this old girl. Too windy to shoot today but I found some boolits I cast seven years ago this month and some primed cases that have been cluttering up a loading block for years. It was quite tempting to load them up with FFg but went with MV's load of 28grs 5744.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Cast up a bunch of .379-250's last week, TL'd them yesterday and loaded some test loads for my Marlin 375. 10 rounds 10 gr. of Unique, another 10 with 20 gr. of H4198. Headed for the range in the morning if it quits raining!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Loaded about 4 boxes of 16gauge pheasant loads for this fall. 1 1/8 oz. Nickled 5's seem to do all right on wild Roosters.
    Loaded a few 25-20WCF with my plinker load. 9gr-4198 under a Noe plain based 260283, powder coated seems to ring the gong pretty regularly.
    Sized and flared a few Starline 38-55 cases that rocked the gong a bit further than the 25-20 did.
    Way too wet and windy to do much outside today

I lined up old dies for a sale. (Shamless Plug)
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    pulled out the two RCE hydro swaggers, pull out the dies that go with them - took pictures,
    yanked out the 30+ full sets of magma molds we have to see what we want to keep and what are going up for sale,
    grabbed the 2 dillon 1000's and the shell plate holders and stuck them into the back of our BOX truck- making room in there so we can actually start reloading again...
    oh and we cleaned 5-7K pieces of 308 and started the de-capping , and sizeing...found the projectiles for the said 308's...just another day??

Boolit Master

been sorting shotgun hulls and resizing them all day, made it about half way through the stash. sure would be nice if every brand and every type had their own color so as to make it easy to lump like kinds together

Boolit Man
    Prepared 650 pieces of 223 brass for reloading.

Boolit Master

Very productive for me.....
    Cast a couple of hundred H&G#20 and loaded a few for my 1903.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&G#20.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	194451

Sized, cleaned, and trimmed 150 308's for the Ruger PR, next to prepare some test loads with several powders.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Page 201 of 601 FirstFirst ... 101151191192193194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211251301 ... LastLast