Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Buddy
    Within the last couple of weeks two older moulds (a Lyman 429251 and an Ideal 358250, both single-cavity) and one new mould (Lyman 358311, double-cavity) came to my possession, so today I decided it was high time to melt some alloy and pour up a healthy handful from each for some future load experiments. The 251 and 311 both worked beautifully, dropping their contents easily, but the 250 was somewhat stubborn - never did quite manage to get all the wrinkles out, and they wanted to cling desperately to one block...always the left one...will experiment further with that one. But overall the results were up to my satisfaction, and so I present here the results of my limited labors...

I've been trying desperately to get a good mushroom out of a .45 ACP cast SWC-HP. Today I got it...

Attachment 175317Attachment 175318

This is a new to me mold I got from a forum member a couple weeks ago...see the whole story @ Lyman 452423 HP...single cavity...new to me..."Any suggestions?"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Loading some dove loads for the opener next week.

Boolit Grand Master

Not a thing. Taking advantage to the beautiful weather to resume my lead shed (18X21 Mueller bldg) project. Spent too much time yesterday updating my tool batteries and tending a nasty cut so I'm back on the ladder this morning. Hope to be ready to put the roof up next pretty weekend. Today I should be able to finish the trim...after I finish this cup of coffee. Hopefully no more sheet metal cuts! Ouch!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Reloading shotgun hulls for dove season, Yes they can be got at the store cheap but with my homemade shot which is softer then chilled shot it flattens on impact results are a lot more downed doves and less wounded ones. So for me my reloads are a lot better then store shells.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

Created a stand for my iPad so that I can view Castboolits and powder loading data from the powder manufacturers while at my reloading bench.

One groove is at 15 degrees and the other is around 25 degrees. Probably should consider putting a center groove at 0 degrees.

Total cost? About 2 beers...
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 08-29-2016 at 03:24 AM.

When trimming cases or doing military primer pockets I like having a documentary or whatever on the tablet (bench in basement so WiFi available) Might have to make me one of those stands.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I loaded some subsonic .358 Win for fun practice. 160gr RNL over 8grs bullseye as recommended by a forum member here. Fired a 6 shot group at 50 yds with 5 in 1" and a dang flyer opened it up to 2-1/2". I will try again tomorrow. The best thing is point of impact is close enough to not adjust the scope. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    When trimming cases or doing military primer pockets I like having a documentary or whatever on the tablet (bench in basement so WiFi available) Might have to make me one of those stands.
    if you have a table saw, it's a very easy project. With the silicone case that I have on my iPad, it's about a 9/16" slot.

I will probably mod mine to take a slight amount off in front of each groove. Maybe 1/8" or so.

The belt on my sander is slipping. If it wasn't, this would only be a 1 beer project.

Hmmm... Come to think of it, a smaller stand might even be worthwhile for a cell phone or an android tablet that feeds the stereo.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 08-29-2016 at 03:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    Loaded a few 12 ga test rounds for the Metro gun. Squirrels by the hundreds.

Boolit Master

Finished checking and sizing 200 MiHec 475-xxx while waiting for the lead pot to heat up then casted 150 or so 312-640 120s and started checking and sizing them. Need to get some 32-20 fodder put together.

Boolit Master

Got in a 'new' batch of 38spl range brass. Tumble, size, decap, length-trim, chamfer neck in and out.
    Sort for headstamp, sort out wadcutter brass.
    500 times.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've been doing inventory and desperately trying to get organized . Why in the world do I have 3 sets of 38/357 , 2 sets of 45ACP , 2sets of 358 Win and 11 sets of dies for rifles I don't have 5 of which are so obscure that they only hide in basement closets in Europe . I'm not wholey sure where that 3rd case of shotgun shells came from either . Lots of factory ammo has been canned up also .

In loading I managed to load and clip 200/45 ACP and I have some super heavyweight Colts to go shoot for a work up . If that goes to plan then 100 of those will go in the que with a couple 100 more 454424 for revolvers.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I've been doing inventory and desperately trying to get organized . Why in the world do I have 3 sets of 38/357 , 2 sets of 45ACP , 2sets of 358 Win and 11 sets of dies for rifles I don't have 5 of which are so obscure that they only hide in basement closets in Europe .
    Same reason that you have multiple hammers -- we can't find one and go buy another.

I've got a couple of duplicate dies and such. Some were part of a package deal when someone was selling all their primers, powder, or whatever. Some were from my actually ordering a duplicate of the item because I forgot that I already owned one.

Boolit Master
    Tried to add a back stop to my desk...I should've just built this thing right from the start. its secured by 4 lag bolts but none are "flush" with the desk, about an 1/8" gap. As I tighten them down more it just crushes the 2x4 instead of screwing in farther. Considering just scrapping it back down and starting over now.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Put a clearance hole in the 2X4 Der, the lags are gripping it, not spinning freely in it. That is if your trying to get the 2X4 tight to the wall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Put a clearance hole in the 2X4 Der, the lags are gripping it, not spinning freely in it. That is if your trying to get the 2X4 tight to the wall.
    Hmmm that makes sense, I knew someone smarter would answer! I want it flush and secure to the desk and to the wall. Thanks man!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Don't you accuse me of being smarter Der...'just been there done that!'

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Same reason that you have multiple hammers -- we can't find one and go buy another.

I've got a couple of duplicate dies and such. Some were part of a package deal when someone was selling all their primers, powder, or whatever. Some were from my actually ordering a duplicate of the item because I forgot that I already owned one.
    I've traded and given away 4-5 sets of 44 mag that I have no desire to have . I've sent at least 3 sets of 38/357 on their way as well .

Usually when I have multiple sets there is something specific ,and something generic.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Haven't looked at this thread in a coon's age. Ya'll are sure productive. I've been busy trying to undo 30 years of neglect on this crackerbox of a house so I can sell it and get the heck out of Mexifornia-stan. Haven't done much of anything in the shop for months.

Last week I was motivated by a friend in Alabama to do something in the shop that I've been ignoring for too long. I'd run out of floor space in the machine shop/reloading room making it near impossible to do either. I'm ignoring the house, and now on a mission to clean and organize the shop. Went to Costco and procured yet another shelf unit. Started transferring brass from cardboard boxes to ammo cans/boxes. Labeling said cans/boxes and stashing on the shelves.

Have discovered 3 things thus far.

• I don't have near enough 218 Bee cases, but do have more 25-20 cases than I remembered.
    • I have more jacketed projectiles than I'd remembered.
    • I have floor space that I've not seen in years.

Now, because of a box of horse tack and holster materials on the floor in front of a roll-away, I need to reorganize and re-box saddle/harness & holster goods, plus Xmas lights & ornaments, to free up more shelf space elsewhere.
    I then need to repack two of the roll-aways that hold machinist tooling.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 141 of 604 FirstFirst ... 4191131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151191241 ... LastLast