Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 56 of 604 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106156556 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 12078

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by knfmn View Post
    Not to be simplistic, but are you 100% certain that the gas tube/block are aligned right? I know you said you blew through the tube and it seemed ok, but let me share my recent experiences. I built an AR. I'm pretty anal about things, so I was super careful to make sure that everything was just so. I finished it and took it to the range and experienced exactly what you experienced: it wouldn't eject the brass. I tore the whole thing apart repeatedly over the next few weeks, pulling my hair out trying to find the solution. I changed the gas block for a very expensive one out of desperation, which is not an easy proposition in MA, since our muzzle devices have to be pinned and welded, meaning the old muzzle brake had to be ground off, the gas block changed and a new one pinned and welded on. Anyhow, after all that, what I discovered was this: when the handguard was put on it was putting enough force on the gas block to shift it away from the gas port in the barrel. I took the handguard off and threw it in the trash, replaced it with a free float handguard and the AR runs 100% now.
    I've had some time to experiment with it since I last posted on this thread about it. The gas block is a picatinny 4-rail type and it butts up against the free float handguard when everything is installed. It looked like the gas block might not be sliding all the way back, so I decided to try it without the handguard to see what might happen. As it turned out, that made the difference. There's probably about 1/16-1/8" that needs to be taken off the front of the handguard. The load I was previously trying now ejects the brass and picks up the next round, although it doesn't hold the bolt back on an empty mag, so it probably just needs a bit more powder. It's not that big of a deal for me since I don't routinely carry multiple mags with me anyway.

I was developing a load for my nephew and his .300 AAC last weekend and had a round come out the side of the barrel that is used for a bullet stop with deceleration media. We looked at the wall behind it and could not see where it had hit. I was cleaning the garage on Thursday and came across one of the jacketed bullets that he was using. It had rifling marks on it, so it must have been the one that ended up going through the side of the barrel. I'm thinking that the bullet hit someone along the way (possibly another bullet) which upset it's flight path enough to make it go out the side of the barrel while tumbling and then hit the back wall sideways, but so slowly that it did not put a dent in the wall. It then made it 12 ft or so before coming to a stop. There's a 1/2" steel plate in the bottom of the barrel and there were no marks on the bullet that would indicate that it hit the plate before coming back out.

Casting and Reloading

Uniformed shallow primer pocket depth in 200 -38 specials, using a Redding Carbide cutter. Sized and primed, ready to load. Bumped the shoulder and primed 300 -223 rem for loading later. A while back, cast over 500 45 acp bullets. Sized to .452" with my Lyman 450. Loaded 500 Starline brass with 3.8 gr Bullseye. Will be shooting them soon in my vintage 70's Gold Cup. Cheaper than buying 22 LR ammo.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I've had some time to experiment with it since I last posted on this thread about it. The gas block is a picatinny 4-rail type and it butts up against the free float handguard when everything is installed. It looked like the gas block might not be sliding all the way back, so I decided to try it without the handguard to see what might happen. As it turned out, that made the difference. There's probably about 1/16-1/8" that needs to be taken off the front of the handguard. The load I was previously trying now ejects the brass and picks up the next round, although it doesn't hold the bolt back on an empty mag, so it probably just needs a bit more powder. It's not that big of a deal for me since I don't routinely carry multiple mags with me anyway.

I was developing a load for my nephew and his .300 AAC last weekend and had a round come out the side of the barrel that is used for a bullet stop with deceleration media. We looked at the wall behind it and could not see where it had hit. I was cleaning the garage on Thursday and came across one of the jacketed bullets that he was using. It had rifling marks on it, so it must have been the one that ended up going through the side of the barrel. I'm thinking that the bullet hit someone along the way (possibly another bullet) which upset it's flight path enough to make it go out the side of the barrel while tumbling and then hit the back wall sideways, but so slowly that it did not put a dent in the wall. It then made it 12 ft or so before coming to a stop. There's a 1/2" steel plate in the bottom of the barrel and there were no marks on the bullet that would indicate that it hit the plate before coming back out.
    Glad you figured it out! Scary experience with the bullet making it out of the barrel. Glad nobody got hurt.

Just to keep things on topic, last night/this morning I primed 200 9mm cases, flared about 300 .357 mag cases and loaded 100 of those .357 cases with 125 grain JSP's and a crowd pleasing amount of 2400. I'm into my last pound of 2400 now...things are getting a little grim.

Boolit Master
    Was getting low on NOE 55 gr .224 BOOLITS for the AR. POURED about 100 but it was too darned humid to continue. Worked up several loads using CFE223 to try out too.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Grand Master
    Loaded some 32 S&W long with 2.7 grains of WW-231 and 100 Grain SWC boolits.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I got my Foster Case trimmer out. After figuring it out again, I trimmed one hundred 308W cases, 60 25-06 cases, and 200 5.56 cases. It was kind a warm so I was limited in how much time I could stand in the garage.

Ed C

Boolit Buddy

Wet tumbled 250 44mag. and 1200 45acp. cases. Sized the 44s and sized and sorted by head stamp 900 45s.

Boolit Buddy

Yesterday, a rainy day... good day to load up some Noe 30Hunter and MP 30Hunter in the 300AAC and the 308 for some comparison testing and continuing load evaluations.

Boolit Grand Master

I found 4 lbs. of powder I forgot were in the cabinet...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Cut and formed 200+ 223 brass for 300 blackout, waiting on trimmer for next step.

Boolit Bub
    Filled up the 20 pound Lee pot and cast Lee 6-Cavity 358-125-RF, I love this boolit and use it for three different rounds. I am using HF black and white powder coating and sizing them to 356. Will use this batch for 9mm or 357 sig.

Boolit Master

Set up to load some .223's w/condom bullets. I have some old Berger's, Speer's and bulk FMJ's, and want to shoot 'em up. Will use 4895, and load from 24 to 26 grs. Will do the actual reloading tomorrow PM after my Museum work.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    Yesterday, I found my bench, it was hidden under some stuff.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LabGuy View Post
    Could you check to see if mine is there... It also seems to be missing...

Actually, mine is getting better... I can actually see portions of the wood showing through in spots...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LabGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Could you check to see if mine is there... It also seems to be missing...

Actually, mine is getting better... I can actually see portions of the wood showing through in spots...
    Guess you guys wont be taking pictures of your bench anytime soon. Sure could use them in the Show your Bench thread.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    Guess you guys wont be taking pictures of your bench anytime soon. Sure could use them in the Show your Bench thread.
    There already is one:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ing-bench-pics

Unfortunately, some of the people used some of the image sharing sites that delete the photos if they haven't been viewed in awhile.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm loading for 2 new cartridges in gas guns 6.8 and 223.

3 powders
    2 primers
    1 boolit
    For each gas o matic.

Gas checks are a new thing on my bench but those 22-55 s are just to dang small to paper patch . Nevermind that I'd have to buy 2 more sizers ......

The 6.8 has its own quirks .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Made a trade with a friend yesterday- my 45 ACP BOOLITS FOR his 223 brass about 300 pcs. Between prepping those and the 45 ACP BRASS that are in the mail to me I will be busy for awhile
    Oh yeah and I have to pour more 45 ACPs too.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Banned

Ran off a batch of 12 ga.
    Tumbled brass ,rinsed and dried them.
    Loaded 5- 12 ga with ETR7 Will try 18.9 gr to start with and a 1oz load.
    Set some mouse traps~ Caught the little bugger

Boolit Grand Master

Still on light duty @ work so loading room is off limits as well. May tumble some brass later but running a press or a few moulds would probably be a bad idea.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 56 of 604 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106156556 ... LastLast