RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Cast bullet books

Boolit Buddy

Cast bullet books

What are some of the best books to have for cast bullets?

Boolit Buddy
    All of them.

From Ingot to Target, Free online as a PDF
    Any of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Cast Bullets
    by E. H. Harrison
    this is a NRA publication.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

RCBS has a cast bullet manual.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    In the past, I recommended Lyman's 3rd Edition Cast bullet Handbook over everything, but so many of the powders listed are no longer available, I grudgingly say get the 4th edition. Especially, given that the 3rd edition is available on line as a free download, buy the newer one, download the older one have both! Another that I like is the RCBS [I]Cast Bullet Manual[/I], although somewhat dated, if you have RCBS molds or clones thereof, you have tested data available. The one thing I don't like is that they did not include OAL info, assuming that people would use the crimp groove as St. Elmer intended. This can be a problem in some uses. One other book, if you can find it, is Phil Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading. Most of the load data is as obsolete as David's Sling, but there is a ton of info on manufacturers and practices from the 1930's that still have relevance.

Online, look to Hodgdon for data for many, modern propellants, but take their velocity info with a large pile of salt, at least for handguns. Most of us aren't shooting TC Contenders, so the data from 7.7 and 10 inch universal receiver barrels can be very deceiving. Alliant also has cast data available, primarily in their Cowboy data info.

+1 on "From ingot to Target." That was a sticky here and has a ton of information on all manner of cast related topics.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-18-2024 at 12:52 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Another book I have found useful is the reprint of Elmer Keith's 1936 book
    " Sixgun Cartridges & Loads " the reprint is available on Amazon ... published in 2016 by Silver Rock Publishing . Amazon shows a paper back for $12 and Hard cover for $25 ... I got the Hard Cover .
    Lots of good info and history on casting boolits and alloy to use ...
    The loading data is old but contains info on Unoque Bullseye and 2400 powder loadings that I found helpful .
    Read first hand what Elmer "realy " said about things !
    The photo's are pretty awesome to boot !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Just my humble opinion but I think we're ready for the "5th Edition, Lyman Cast Bullet handbook". There are several newer cartridges like 350 Legend, 300 Blackout, and 450 Bushmaster (plus more) that weren't around when the 4th edition was published. Some of the powders in the 4th edition aren't made anymore, and some other useful or newer powders aren't listed. Cast loads for many popular wildcats aren't well represented in the 4th edition (I'd like to see cast data for the 7mm TCU, but then - everybody wants to see data for whatever wildcat they're loading for). Also, some cartridges listed in the 4th edition have a limited bullet selection. In example, the 7.62x39 is only represented by four bullet weights, topping out at 160 grains. There are lots of people that would like to see cast load data for heavier bullets in this caliber, like 180 grain or even 200 grain. Cast load date using Leverevolution in cartridges that can utilize it would be welcome. All of the cast bullet reloading manuals that we already have are very useful, but they're starting to get long of tooth. I think it's time that a newer cast bullet manual could find an eager market.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Just my humble opinion but I think we're ready for the "5th Edition, Lyman Cast Bullet handbook". There are several newer cartridges like 350 Legend, 300 Blackout, and 450 Bushmaster (plus more) that weren't around when the 4th edition was published. Some of the powders in the 4th edition aren't made anymore, and some other useful or newer powders aren't listed. Cast loads for many popular wildcats aren't well represented in the 4th edition (I'd like to see cast data for the 7mm TCU, but then - everybody wants to see data for whatever wildcat they're loading for). Also, some cartridges listed in the 4th edition have a limited bullet selection. In example, the 7.62x39 is only represented by four bullet weights, topping out at 160 grains. There are lots of people that would like to see cast load data for heavier bullets in this caliber, like 180 grain or even 200 grain. Cast load date using Leverevolution in cartridges that can utilize it would be welcome. All of the cast bullet reloading manuals that we already have are very useful, but they're starting to get long of tooth. I think it's time that a newer cast bullet manual could find an eager market.
    I will agree with you there, they also need to bring back “pistol powders” in there rifke load data red dot is not out of production and there are also plenty of new powders there missing in there that would also be very good choices, I bring up pistol powders because with the price per pound of powder there a good way to lower the cost per shot,

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Join the CBA and buy a set of CD archives of The Fouling Shot.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Are there websites that offer more updated information than the printed manuals mentioned above ?

Boolit Master
    Outpost75: Really getting off topic, but; I just checked out the CBA website. It looks great, and I'd like to join, but there's a problem. I had intended to join a couple of years ago, but i didn't. Going over there just now reminded me why I didn't join. All of the transactions have to be in PayPal. Even credit card transactions need to be through PayPal. I don't do PayPal. I especially don't do credit card transactions through PayPal because the one and only time that I did, the credit card company considered it a "cash advance" and billed me at the highest possible rate. If there were some other options besides PayPal then I would gladly join.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You can mail a personal check with paper copy application printed from back cover of The Fouling Shot.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.