MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Master
    I have been making up some more 45ACP with 4.7 gr. Red Dot, this time pushing a TL452-230-TC boolit. I am really liking this, new to me, Lee Classic 4 hole turret press. I am finding that once all is set up, I can make 1 round a minute using the "auto index". And that is keeping in mind that I weigh each round on my old RCBS 5-0-5 after throwing the powder with my old RCBS Uniflow using the small drum. I found that I only had 2 that threw at 4.8gr. & 2 that threw 4.6 gr. in 50 rounds. Nothing higher or lower than that +/- 0.1 gr. That is just fine with me. Not real fast, but fast enough. It is actually a pleasure to use the turret style press, after using a single stage for most reloading since I started on one years go.

I also have a old Lyman Truline Jr. 4 hole turret , but I have not used it much yet & have not tested it for time, but I reckon it should be about the same as the Lee, even though it is a manual index, rather than auto index. If I was to trust the Uniflow more & not weigh each charge, I reckon I could get to 100+/-/hr. rather than the 60+/- right now for both. Fast enough to make "me" happy. I do not need more output than that right now. I don't shoot competitively, but just for fun & accuracy, along with my current fixation with testing components. So, I am a pretty happy feller.

I suppose that some might "pshaw" that speed of reloading since they use more expensive, faster, progressive style presses like the Dillon models, the Hornady LnL AP & such/et al, but I find a certain satisfaction in handling each round & all the components together to get a product that I am proud of & know I made each one with a "hands on" method, rather than a "mass production" method. I have always been a "backroads", "easy going and enjoy the trip" feller, and not a, " I gotta get there fast as I can" type. So, I guess that the style of reloading I use, even though some might find it slow & boring, just suits me.

As it is said, "To each their own". And I just get great satisfaction out of doing my reloading in the way that I do.

Anyway... That is my contribution to this topic today.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I have been powder coating and sizing and loading 38-40, 44 mag. The 38-40 in my G2 Contender with a 20'' MGM barrel is more like a 40-44 mag with Power Pro 300-MP behind the bullet!

But powdercoating out in the shop by my self I started to have a feeling of not being alone...I've been coating a few bacthes when I started hear something scurrying about under the drill press next to the air compressor. I looked and didn't see anything, and kept on coating. And then I heard more rustling over there and started to get more curious. Then I saw it, brown and fury with a long tail...a Muskrat!? I tried to shoe it out of there with a stick but that didn't work. I thought about grabbing it and talked myself out of that. Kept on coating and he started to more brave, maybe it was liking the fumes too much I don't know. During a heat time I went out of the shed and it came out of the shed a little ways. I went around to see if I could get between him and the old garage door but he charged back for the shed!

By now its getting more brave after a couple more heat times and I thinking I can't tell a angry muskrat from a happy muskrat and who knows maybe its little body is all hopped up on HF yellow fumes. I'm breathing through filters so I'm basically fine. Well anyways I managed to get the upper hand after it had a brief encounter with a 358432 and it became part of the food chain helping to sustain the local wildlife.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master

Nothing this weekend, I'm headed out to a local gun show. This show is sponsored by the Cartridge Collectors Association and I'm hopeful to find something to add to my cartridge collection.

I've had a cow in my loading room but never a Muskrat! JBinMN- I just loaded way north of 300 rounds of 9mm on a Rockchucker-took about a week! Currently sizing and gas checking .309" boolits and a brake job on my wife's Buick��

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    JBinMN- I just loaded way north of 300 rounds of 9mm on a Rockchucker-took about a week! Currently sizing and gas checking .309" boolits and a brake job on my wife's Buick��
    Well, my friend, as long as loading them up was a pleasure & you got great satisfaction in your efforts, then it does not matter how long it took, right?

At least that is how "I' look at it anyway!

Have fun shooting them up! and G'luck! with the brake job...

P.S. - now I am going to be loading up 50 .380 ACP. Haven't decided on the powder or boolit yet, but I will be using that old Lyman Truline JR to see how long it takes me to load them next. I will enjoy it no matter how long it takes...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I just loaded way north of 300 rounds of 9mm on a Rockchucker-took about a week!
    Just had three big cups of coffee and loaded 300 rounds of .45acp. on a Dillon (Saeco 185 SWC over 4.7 of WST). Enjoyed every second (and the coffee too.) Still can't get my new VibraPrime to load large pistol primer tubes, so that slowed me down a bit. Loads small ones like gangbusters though. I'm gonna pour one last cup and switch to my other Dillon here in a minute, then load 200 rounds of 9mm (Lee 356-124 over 4.2 of WSF) before I get ready for work. Full diclosure...my Rockchucker is on the bottom shelf and I did rest my foot on it several times while loading. I've been up about two hours now

Boolit Grand Master

After 4 big cups and the time spent, I bet I know the next thing your gonna do before leaving for work.
    LOL Sometimes I used to do the same and it required an unscheduled pitstop.
    Hope you work out the LPP problem.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Case sizing and polishing .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Set up my new to me LNL AP. Took some time and was finicky at first but smoother than the loadmaster I was using.

Any tips or tricks to using the LNL?

Boolit Master
    Finished up the 50 - .380 ACP rounds this afternoon using .356 sized 124 gr. TC's using 2.5 - 2.9 gr. Red Dot, ladder stepped at 0.10 each set of 10.

Took me approx. 50 min. to load 50. So, the Lyman Truline Jr. turret, even with having to go manual index, did about the same as the Lee.
    Although, I did do the "batch style" reload in steps, like I would do with a single stage, by de- priming & sizing the case in one step/stage of the turret, placing the cases into a loading tray/block, then expanding & priming in the next step after moving the turret.
    Set into the loading tray/block again. Then powder from the RCBS Uniflow & weigh on the scale for the grain amounts for each ladder "step", then take the boolit & place it on the case with the powder, ( No way to double charge) then I seated & taper crimped in one step. ( I do not yet have a separate crimp die for .380, although I prolly could use one of the ones I have for 9mm to do the job).
    A visual inspection, then into the Lyman "Case Gauge", another visual inspection just to make sure all is good, a wipe with a cloth, & then the completed round/cartridge goes into the plastic "shooting case" in the proper order to ladder test. Marked the plastic "shooting case" with a masking tape label with all the load data & on to the shelf for later...

Had a grand time & then went out for a couple brews/adult beverages" with some friends.

All in all , a grand time.

I also tumble lubed 100 Lee 148gr. WC's for sizing( .357, or .358, have not decided yet, although both will work) to load up some 38Spec., while I was down there. Gonna size them later tonite & load them on the Lee turret tomorrow.

Fun!... Fun!

Next?

[ETA: Just went & sized the DEWCs to .358. ]
    Last edited by JBinMN; 02-18-2018 at 12:32 AM.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Sorted the big bag of .303 Brit brass I found in the shop the other day. Lots of Federal commercial in it plus a mix of military (boxer reloadable) and mixed commercial headstamps. I guess I need to load up a bunch of 314299's so that I can go up to the range and play one day ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Loaded up some more 00 & #4 Buckshot loads to do some testing.

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    After 4 big cups and the time spent, I bet I know the next thing your gonna do before leaving for work.
    LOL
    Yeah, 4 cups can turn that short drive into a long ride in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Hope you work out the LPP problem.
    Thanks MM. The thing is pretty cool, well the 50% that works is. I have tried polishing the inside of the drop hole, then widening it a touch, and even modified the feed tube with no luck. Finally called Frankenfurter Armory for advice and they said to try what I had already done. They are sending me a new tray hoping maybe the large primer end works on this one. I've got no problem swapping between two trays as long as it works. Might get lucky and have both sizes work but I don't wanna set the bar too high. But to be fair the customer service was great and all their other stuff I have has worked just fine.

Boolit Master

Play time with the .30-30

Loaded 50 rounds - Lee TL314-90SWC, tumbled in 45/45/10, sized .309, in FC cases.
    3.7gr Promo, Rem 9 1/2 LPP.

Fired in a Mossberg 464 lever action. 1.5" 5 shot groups at 25yds with iron sights.
    I get 1045 fps, with SD of 16.4fps, and ES is 28 fps.

And, just a hoot to shoot !

Boolit Master
    Finished up the WCs early in the AM. Now gonna do some 158gr. TL SWCs.

Still running at about one round every 50-60 seconds using the process I have adopted. Might try skipping the weighing on this run & see how much time it saves.

I am running out of ammo boxes for all calibers I reload. So, I am gonna have to do some shooting when the wind drops and/or the temps rise again. Shooting in temps below 20F is not all that comfortable. Particularly in snow... Either that or try to figure out a good method of storing the completed rounds in some other way. Prolly just use ziplock bags or even chip dip containers or PB jars I have. I could make some wooden containers like loading blocks with tops as well, but I would have to heat up the garage to do that. Have to ponder on that for a bit...

Next?

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Hung my desk calender on the wall finally, wasn't much point before having match schedules out. Marked the first local outdoor steel shoot and next month's indoor match.

Then I sat and looked longingly at the TWO new (to me) boolit molds, lyman 452460 and NOE 225-70-rn brass. Alas I have no mold handles for these yet so all I can do is look at them.

Looking at new .31 ball mold for shot and Lyman slug mold as I work through de-priming 1,500 38 special cases in preparation for a test of wet tumbling with stainless steel. Specifically pin to brass weight ratio.

Fancy way of saying I needed to add pins and wonder how many pounds I have to add to make much difference in how fast the brass gets polished. My target is 1 hour tumble with inside, outside and primer pockets clean. Will try with 4# 5# and 6.5# of pins against 500 38 special and then against 500 .223

Hard to look at those molds, the dies set up for .32 auto ready to try but I am willing to do what it takes to find out how many licks to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop. That and I'll have 1,500 more of two calibers ready to load at the end of the experiment.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Not today, but recently I built some shelves to hold my range pick up rifle brass.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180211_193208 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	330.5 KB 
ID:	214710

Boolit Master

Very nice. I like your mold storage too!

Going to head down to the reloading shop shortly and load up a few more test loads for my "new to me" Winchester 1895 SRC in .30-40 Krag. But looking out of the living room bay window it's also just starting to snow here, so I guess I won't get out to test them very soon ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Page 285 of 601 FirstFirst ... 185235275276277278279280281282283284285286287288289290291292293294295335385 ... LastLast