Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

My wife got me a brick of 1,000 small pistol primers for Fathers Day. Today I converted fifty of them into 38 spl wadcutter ammo. She knows me pretty well.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
    Added a pid controller to my lead pot. Wasn't sure how accurate it would read because the temp probe is just touching the bottom of the melting pot. To dial it in I bumped up the temp until the lead melted. Then a little more until the hot mold started dropping slightly frosty boolits. If I get motivated I'll procure a thermometer to confirm the lead temp. Can't wait to get my new mp mold
    doesn't need to accurate just consistent. My thermostat needs 2 inches of lead to read anything less and it won't read right.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master
    Loaded 50 45-70 rounds 405 gr over 20 gr of 2400 .then stripped my marlin slb down to clean everything and lub stuff .amazing how much crud gets into every nook and cranny .feels much slicker now it's had 500 rounds through it .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    doesn't need to accurate just consistent. My thermostat needs 2 inches of lead to read anything less and it won't read right.
    Yeah mate that's what I figured. So long as it gets hot enough not to drop wrinkled boolits, it'll work just fine.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EAA09543-A129-4190-AD5B-28B0AEF5C585.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	243740

I sized 400 deep HP cast on the NOE 178 RD group buy mold I got last week!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Not necessarily the reloading room. 10 Rifle gun rack. Skipped my nap to finish it up. That old recycled wood really soaks up the linseed oil.

Name:	10 Rifle Rack.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	243770

I made a casting bench table 47 inches high 30 inches wide and 48 inches long when finished on wheels to move it in summer to the front of my garage with a fan behind it and cast where its at now in winter , Ill remove the AC and sell it later this summer. my garage is a two car 24x24 and the 15k BTU AC just wont work well , it takes about 3 hours to cool the garage on 85F day common here in the south and I have a large fan for that window to draw the air out from the casting area. No I never would have AC blow on me casting !

I made this rig to be able to go over a AC recovery machine and my air compressor and left plenty of room for ventilation of the compressor, making better use of my garage space, my reloading room is a bedroom upstairs that dedicated to my reloading hobby. I got the high chair from a thrift store for 10 dollars, the new casting table make my other regular work bench look tiny. Ill be able to cast sitting or standing and Im looking still at a Master Pot. I keep my moulds upstairs in the loading room to keep them in a climate controlled environment. With my new table rig Ill be able to cast summer or winter. I do have a 220V 30 amp electric heater I use in winter for that area that's ceiling mounted Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castingbench.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	243782

I pulled down 500 rds of reloaded ..45 ACP that a friend gave me. He got it from a guy that passed away last year. Scary ammo... 3 rds had no powder, 2 had live primers INSIDE the case mixed with powder, 5 had no primers, 10 had high primers, about 50 had some kind of odd crimp that almost looked like a bottleneck....lol. Mind you, this was a from the same bat c h of reloaded ammo.... I was told the guy who loaded it had Parkinson's disease pretty bad..... Whoa!

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by ak_milsurp View Post
    I pulled down 500 rds of reloaded ..45 ACP that a friend gave me. He got it from a guy that passed away last year. Scary ammo... 3 rds had no powder, 2 had live primers INSIDE the case mixed with powder, 5 had no primers, 10 had high primers, about 50 had some kind of odd crimp that almost looked like a bottleneck....lol. Mind you, this was a from the same bat c h of reloaded ammo.... I was told the guy who loaded it had Parkinson's disease pretty bad..... Whoa!

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
    Never heard of people putting primers in the case. Thats new! New kind of Duplex load?

Boolit Master

Wow that IS SCARY...

I have pulled many times loads from other people. Never saw anything like that!!!

Last night I was investigating some missfire issues with a Contender Carbine. I changed the main spring. But its still not a solid deep fp dent. I am gonna switch to all Federal primers fpr this gun and see how that works.
    Inspecting the last problem box I found case lengths all over the place and most where pretty long. I loaded up 20, taking care to fully prep the cases. All trimmed to 2.030. Every case plunked and closed as if not there. Im thinking this chamber may just be a bit short.

I loaded them with moderate amount of 4198 and the new NOE 178-RD HP bullet sized 311. Should be 1700 ish fps.

CW

Banned
    Reloading room still non-operational until my move is done. I can hardly wait until I can make ammunition again.

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post

Name:	EAA09543-A129-4190-AD5B-28B0AEF5C585.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	243740

I sized 400 deep HP cast on the NOE 178 RD group buy mold I got last week!

CW
    What is your plan for these? How did the mold cast?
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master
    Weighed bonded/annealed 180 & 190 gr j words out of 9x19 cases to be swaged in my BT one step .40 cal. HP die.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Hello!

I cast some 300 cup points first and after cycling three times it was as “usual” maybe 6-10 culls from first dozen casts. Then it was off and running. I preheated a good time casting with another mold while waiting.
    Sunday I cast with the deep HP. I did same pre heat for maybe a hour on top Of the pot. I filled the cavities some 10-15 before first casts. It worked much better at fill out, but was sticking on pins real bad one cavity. I graphited the pins with a carpenters pencil and set it on its pins on top of the pot again. After another 15-20, I started casting again and it was off to the races then too. I cast 450 pcs with very few culls.

These where softer lead at about 13 bhn. Cups got water quenched and should end up about 18 ish. The deep ones where air dried. Both where water quenched after powder coat.

Uses will be 300BO and 30/30’s. I have a Savage 24 and a Contender Carbine Im Specifically building for.

I also have a lyman 174g fp that I like allot so I dont think Ill be using the FP pins any time soon.

I need to check delivery on the 450 Bushmaster mold and Ill be casting with that asap!

Thanks for the assistance bluejay!

CW

I have a Contender barrel in .45ACP. Cases have to be at max length or it will not fire.... it'll fire fresh new factory ammo all day long. But put a case in there that's been trimmed to "trim length", and it'll push the case forward and get a light primer strike. I can fire my reloads in any other weapon chambered for .45 ACP... They work fine .. but not in a Contender barrel. In a 1911 or other pistol, the round is effectively "headspaced" and controlled by the extractor that slides over the case rim..... however... a contender barrel doesn't work like that..... I sent this barrel and receiver to T/C TWICE to have it looked at they would send it back saying works fine.... Of course.. they were only using factory ammo.... not reloads.... Something to think about
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Master
    I seldom if ever trim handgun brass. And I don't have any problems with it...... but that's me, YMMV....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I CLEANED IT UP! Now I will never be able to find anything again.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    I CLEANED IT UP! Now I will never be able to find anything again.
    So true, so true!

Banned
    Yesterday I sat in the garage staring at a stack of totes that contain my dies and reloading equipment wondering if this move on Friday was the right thing to do. Common sense prevailed however when I thought of this coming winter with the snow drifts, ice, and cold temps down to -35 degrees. Its hot in AZ right now but Christmas time should be light jacket time instead of heavy parka time. It will probably take a month to find everything and get something going again. I envy you guys that are loading.

Boolit Master

I cast over two pots worth!!! Close to 50#!!

180 Ranch Dog 6 gang mold (borrowed) I AM STILL
    LOOKING TO BUY THIS MOLD!

My NOE group buy 280/454 mold came and I cast nearly 300 with it!

LOVE THESE NOE MOLDS!!!

CW

Page 382 of 604 FirstFirst ... 282332372373374375376377378379380381382383384385386387388389390391392432482 ... LastLast