RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Master

cast 15# of bullets and loaded 100 .357 . . . in two hours (doesn't count time for pot to heat up)
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Cast a couple hundred 170gr Lee TC .401 bullets today. My first real attempt at casting. Going to post pics later so you folks can let me know what you think, and if I should keep the ones I think I should put back in the pot.

Didn't think that casting would be hard on the back!

Boolit Master

Not in the room but for the room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unversal sight pusher.jpg   RCBS case concentricity gauge.jpg  
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

I'm working on a pile of copper accent pieces for a kitchen table. I'm going to have a lot of surplus and I read a thread here along time ago about plating cast projectiles. I rigged up an old server power supply and got some copper sulfate to tinker with:

It works well enough on one that I'll retrofit my grill rotisserie and find a home for my scrap copper. I've come into a pile of dead-soft lead and was hoping a thin copper wash and some BLL would get me to ~1700fps without much effort. This was a good read on a similar project:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?236015

Boolit Master

Not boolits, but loaded 100 135 FTX for my 300 blackout for the WI deer season which starts in 6 days. Going to check zero this afternoon out back and hopefully put some meat in the freezer.

Boolit Master

Wanted to load some more 30-30 but noticed I was running low on CB's. Cast about 600 311041's according to my calculation as I needed to add 15# of alloy to top up the pot when done. I then cast about 260 265gn CB's for my 444, another 10# of alloy used. Having a large casting pot and 6-cavity molds sure helps to produce a lot of CB's during a session.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Finished putting the 300BLK together and took it for a test drive. Light primer strikes and no bangs so took it back to the reloading room, took the bolt apart and cleaned then much lube. More lube on the springs and tried it again. Success! but still a couple of light strikes. With use I think it will break in.

I still have another lower and am thinking 6.5 Grendel just for kicks
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Did NOT watch pro football today!

Did finish up reloading 600 rounds of 20 gauge shotshells
    with home-make dribbled shot.
    WHAT FUN!
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

495 .38 Spl plinker/practice loads. Cleaned out the last of the PC'd 150 gr. RNs. I had on hand getting ready for winter casting.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Bub

Today I found my old Ideal bronze .257 mold #257418 and due to an injured knee and bad weather I decided to see if I was still able to cast smaller bullets. The mold worked great as long as I could keep the mold hot enough but with a small lee bottom pour half full I could just barely get the corner into the melt. I could pour 3 bullets and the bullets would start to wrinkle. I still had excellent results with the mold so I filled the mold and put it aside. I don't even have a .25 caliber rifle. I decided that two things were going to happen before I put my 6 cavity Hensley and Gibbs .45 cal to work. First I will need a larger melting pot and a little help with keeping the mold to proper temperature. I remembered that I bought a small travel iron when the USMC demanded that I had pressed uniforms. I'm surprised I even found it for that was 60 years ago and it still worked. I have a 4x8x3/8 inch aluminum plate with enough room to set the mold flat down on it or an insulated cooling stand to set it on when the mold is too hot. I don't need a thousand bullets at a sitting but the multi cavity molds get very heavy quickly. The Lee's aren't too bad but the SACO and Hensley and Gibbs are killers during a long session. There is no problem here in the summer heat but this will help during the cold Texas winter.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Finished loading another batch of .303 Brit ammo , most all of my cases for that round are now full .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I loaded some deer ammo to replace the ones I've shot sighting in and grouping. Luckily just 12 rounds because when I was putting everything away- I noticed I had used large pistol primers in the 22-250 with 45 gr Barnes TSX. Yikes, thought I. I had to know; I fired 3 rounds into a 1-1/4" group with same poi. No leaks so far so I'll file this away in Things I Got Away With. I'll not do it again unless I have to!

Boolit Master
    Cleaned two revolvers and a rifle that I took to the range yesterday. My fired brass is in the back of my car and my wife took that to work today.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

My efforts in the loading room awhile back helped me take a deer over the weekend so today was spent in my kitchen, not my loading room. I'm OK with that!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    My efforts in the loading room awhile back helped me take a deer over the weekend so today was spent in my kitchen, not my loading room. I'm OK with that!
    Just about the same for us. All that is left since this time last night is the rest of the scrap to be ground for veni-burger & sausage.

Reloading room again tomorrow night. Need to make up some more shotgun slugs as well as some cartridges.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Cleaned and sized what I fired yesterday....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Made a ladder 36 to 39 gr of 4227 with 330 Acme for my 500 S&W. Going to try it tomorrow at indoor range - gonna be fun

I loaded my new Lube-Sizer with Ben's Red...
    Doing a lube/load session probably Wednesday - I've got several hundred rounds of various boolits to load!

Tried out the used RCBS Berdan primer removal tool I picked up at a gun show. Works really well. Pulled primers on 50 8mm mauser cases and from same source as tool I have a little over a 1000 Berdan primers of correct size. Looking at 250 1x cases that just became useful.

I may post a thread on using the tool because the YouTube stuff I found just wasn't very complete. Shows person using it, not how one uses it.

Starting to read up on slug loads for that same Lyman 525 12 Gauge mentioned in prior posts. Found a good thread on it, where else but on Castboolits. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...a-Thread/page3
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

0150, great night of casting. 5 new molds from NOE, now all broken in and casting great! Thanks, Swede!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cast boolits.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	207764

Page 256 of 603 FirstFirst ... 156206246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260261262263264265266306356 ... LastLast