Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Master
    I went to the shed with the intention of finding a few cans of spray paint to repaint the mailbox and flag. While there I somehow managed to plug in my drip-o-matic and pour another +/- 150 Lee 125 gr. RF. I can resize them to .357 for my CZ or .358 for my Ruger, as well as some for my son's .38........but it's supposed to be kinda ugly tomorrow weather wise....but at least it ain't gonna be like Louisiana.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Keith, post some images of your modified shelf in brighter light if you can. Those sound like nice improvements.

Boolit Master

I NEED MORE ROOM!!!

I had built a floor to ceiling, 12” wide pine board rack beside my ammo cabinet. (As wide as I had room for). Its top shelves where dominated with bulk 22 from Back when it was scarce and I was hoarding . (As if 7-8 bulk boxes and a couple buckets o bullets is considered hoarding) any how... That got moved to the shelf in the cast bullet cabinet so now I have two shelves for 12 ga!! Thats the biggest space dominator for me. So now I can shuffle and will have more room that I desperately need.
    The 12 ga dosent get shot nearly as regularly and I done really need to have that locked.

This weekend Ill need to organize things better so like calibers are all together.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I poured a few fishing jigs, powder coated a few as well. I know, waste of lead and paint but I can't afford those fancy store bought things!

Boolit Master

Annealed, neck sized, and primed the 7.62x54r I fired at the match last weekend.

I have 99 cases ready to load. Maybe I can get it done prior to the day before the match this time. Maybe.

Only 4 weeks left before the match.

Spent the day Dis-assembling ammo. I acquired quite a few boxes of Reloads from a guy about 12 years ago. He was an acquaintance but I can't say I really trusted him. (he actually committed suicide...but that's beside the point)...The ammo has good components...so I'm salvaging the brass and projectiles...The powder...it all goes on the garden for fertilizer.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Dabbled with a gun or two and sized some gifted MP413shp to .410". I previously pc'd them and what do you know it stayed on the boolit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTcZEhfz1RY

I made a quick Youtube video of myself casting with the Master Pot, you can see the sheve from a distance in the video . Ill get another better pic later of the simple shelf I made that will also work with the Lyman Mag 25 I think . Feel free to flame me if you see me doing something wrong if you watch it . I am having trouble with the new Master Pot Im casting wrinkled bullets too many have an imperfection I cleaned the moulds with denatured alcohol heated them well and adjusted the lead pour flow. The issue is that the pots not getting up to temp. I set it at 700F then 750F then all the way to 800F and left it set that way after the lead melted for 2 hours, after casting 50 bullets heating the moulds the cast bullets still wrinkled and I can not get frosted bullets all the way up to the 800F max setting, so the pot is too cold with 35 pounds lead alloy in it. Its the 110 V model 1500 watts and I have it on a 20 amp dedicated circuit 3 feet from the panel box with 12 gauge wiring and a good 20 amp breaker. Theres 123 Volts on my "110" circuits measured with a Fluke multimeter so I have plenty of power. I do have a 25 ft 12 gauge electric extension cord on the pot to the outlet. I can make a 12 gauge or 10 gauge cord for the 6 feet it likes to get to the outlet with the 8ft cord it comes with . I will adjust the T stat, it is adjustable and get a lead thermometer to give me an idea of where I am temp wise. Any ideas let me know as it stands my 20 pound Lee pot casted better bullets then this Master Pot but Im working on it as its new to me and I may be doing something wrong. I may have to let some lead out into ingot moulds to get the temp up but it supposed to hold and work with 40 pounds of lead and I know the Master Casters work well for people so somethings not right

I will move the pot on the casting bench on wheels I made to the outlet so I can see if adding that 25ft 12 gauge extension cord has something to do with it. If that's the problem Ill move the 20 amp circuit outlet closer or make a 10 gauge short extension cord, there's nothing in the instructions about an extension cord and I asked Magma about that when I ordered it

The bullets like McFreds above is what Im wanting to cast, good work and It looks like there a bit frosted which my best bullets have been when casting , Shiny is where Im at right now,

Very nice if the bullets are not wrinkled, the bases are full and the lube groves and detail crisp just like McFreds, so what pot are you using McFred and temp setting

Boolit Master
    Cleaned my 308 savage ,stripped the bolt and adjusted the rifle basic trigger .tried out hornady dry lube and cleaner runs smother now .range tommorow ,hope I shot better now.

Banned
    At 113degrees I looked at the reloading equipment in the totes and said the heck with it.

Boolit Master

Fired up the pot this morning. Got a later start than I usually do, didn't get to it until after 9am. Usually I want to get down there in the barn at first light, especially in the summer.
    Straight clip-on wheelweights, air cooled.
    Lyman 266469 on the left, for the Swede that I obtained at Wanenmacher last spring. I haven't fired it yet.
    Lee C312-185-1R on the right, I'm shooting this in the 1942 Sako-barreled M39 at the monthly club match.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qZsx8ve.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	245202

About 6-7 pounds of the Lee, only a few of the Lyman for the 6.5 Swede. I just want to try it out. Still need checks for it....

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Keith, if it's possible I would opt for no extension at all. I'd want to plug the pot directly into the outlet. That's what I do, and I also have a 1000 degree thermometer that I keep in the pot. Make a holder from a flat strip of metal, two holes, one at each end. One for thermometer the other should fit under one of the nuts on top of the pot. I run my pot around 800 when full, then have to turn down bit by bit as the level decreases, that's why I like having the thermometer in the pot most all the time. As you can see in the last image the outlet I use when I cast outside is well within the distance of the pot so no extension is used. I have no problem getting frosted boolits if I need them.

Last edited by MOA; 07-13-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Cleaned resized, primed and flared the brass that I shot this morning. I also cleaned the pistols that I took to the range.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

MOA thanks for the info Ive got a lead thermometer on order and will take your advice. How many pounds of lead alloy do you put in your pot the full 40 lbs and you can still get the lead hot enough to be frosted or do you start with less

Very nice bullets you cast sharp lube edges well filled . What kind of lube sizer do you use or how do you lube them with what lube

Ive got my pot into a closer 120 outlet with 15 amps and 123 volts within reach of my pots cord. I gave the T stat a small adjustment turning the tiny screw left a bit so Ill testing it tonight soon but still need that thermometer to see where I'm at . With my lee 20 lb pot it would get so hot it would glow red with about 5 pounds in it and turn out a lot of oxidized dirty debris

Boolit Master

Packed 200 pounds of brass to move to the new house. Only 5 gallons of .38 Special and 2 big buckets of .45 ACP to go.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Bub
    Went to the big blue Dillon mother ship today.

Got a couple powder measure reservoirs, new balance scale (old one wasn't reading properly anymore), universal decapping stem, a die box all warrantied.

Then bought a replacement 1050 small primer swage and another 1050 tool head stand.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Keith 429421 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTcZEhfz1RY

I made a quick Youtube video of myself casting with the Master Pot, you can see the sheve from a distance in the video . Ill get another better pic later of the simple shelf I made that will also work with the Lyman Mag 25 I think . Feel free to flame me if you see me doing something wrong if you watch it . I am having trouble with the new Master Pot Im casting wrinkled bullets too many have an imperfection I cleaned the moulds with denatured alcohol heated them well and adjusted the lead pour flow. The issue is that the pots not getting up to temp. I set it at 700F then 750F then all the way to 800F and left it set that way after the lead melted for 2 hours, after casting 50 bullets heating the moulds the cast bullets still wrinkled and I can not get frosted bullets all the way up to the 800F max setting, so the pot is too cold with 35 pounds lead alloy in it. Its the 110 V model 1500 watts and I have it on a 20 amp dedicated circuit 3 feet from the panel box with 12 gauge wiring and a good 20 amp breaker. Theres 123 Volts on my "110" circuits measured with a Fluke multimeter so I have plenty of power. I do have a 25 ft 12 gauge electric extension cord on the pot to the outlet. I can make a 12 gauge or 10 gauge cord for the 6 feet it likes to get to the outlet with the 8ft cord it comes with . I will adjust the T stat, it is adjustable and get a lead thermometer to give me an idea of where I am temp wise. Any ideas let me know as it stands my 20 pound Lee pot casted better bullets then this Master Pot but Im working on it as its new to me and I may be doing something wrong. I may have to let some lead out into ingot moulds to get the temp up but it supposed to hold and work with 40 pounds of lead and I know the Master Casters work well for people so somethings not right
    By my calculations you should not be having enough voltage drop to cause your problem. At 25 ft a 14 gauge cord should only have 1.40% loss so your 12 gauge cord should be good to go. You could check the voltage at the end of the core to verify.

Good Luck in figuring this out.

Keith,
    I fill the pot kinda on what I'm casting, and how many boolits I plan on making. But, it will hit 800 even when I fill it up all the way. So, if yours is not doing it, call Eric at Magma and let him know and I'm sure he will take care of the issue, either run through what might be causing the low temp or he may just send you some replacement parts to replace a part that may be the problem. I've worked with Eric before and he is great to work with.

As to the lube a sizer, I have two Lyman and a RCBS Lube-a-sizer II, as to lube.....all kinds, RCBS, Lyman, Home made lately and I will most likely use more home made stuff than the manufactured stuff in the future.

Page 387 of 603 FirstFirst ... 287337377378379380381382383384385386387388389390391392393394395396397437487 ... LastLast