MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: .45ACP 185gr clone load with SWCs

Boolit Bub

.45ACP 185gr clone load with SWCs

I'd like to work out a "clone load" for my .45ACP defense load with some coated 185gr SWCs.
    We use the term clone load to mean it duplicates more or less a factory load for practice purposes.
    So my main self-defense load is some Georgia Arms 185gr Gold Dot +Ps that I managed to acquire a pretty good amount of. But rather than burn that excellent stuff up practicing with it, I got a box of SnS 185gr coated SWCs. I tried some Red Dot, a powder I often use in .45ACP, but can't get enough power to come anywhere near the GA load: 1060fps in my old Commanders, 1100 in Government Models. Hot stuff.
    So I have pile of Unique, and am thinking of starting with that.
    One that also appeals is BE-86, I've had some good results with that when it first came out.
    Trying to stay within the powders on hand for now.
    Powder charge suggestions welcome.
    Bill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FieldShunt View Post
    I'd like to work out a "clone load" for my .45ACP defense load with some coated 185gr SWCs.
    We use the term clone load to mean it duplicates more or less a factory load for practice purposes.
    So my main self-defense load is some Georgia Arms 185gr Gold Dot +Ps that I managed to acquire a pretty good amount of. But rather than burn that excellent stuff up practicing with it, I got a box of SnS 185gr coated SWCs. I tried some Red Dot, a powder I often use in .45ACP, but can't get enough power to come anywhere near the GA load: 1060fps in my old Commanders, 1100 in Government Models. Hot stuff.
    So I have pile of Unique, and am thinking of starting with that.
    One that also appeals is BE-86, I've had some good results with that when it first came out.
    Trying to stay within the powders on hand for now.
    Powder charge suggestions welcome.
    Bill
    Bill,

WOW! You really are pushing the .45 ACP loads hard to get 1100 fps! I hesitate to recommend any Unique charge. I say go with what is in published reloading manuals. Also, I suspect the cast boolits are HARD at 1100 fps. I load the Lyman #452460 200 grain boolit to about 950 fps and it always worked for me.

Be well.

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    I may have misunderstood, but I believe his +P Gold Dot carry ammo is going 1100fps, and he’s trying to duplicate that.

I’ve no personal experience, but Alliant website shows 8.2 unique under the 185gr Gold Dot for a 45acp +P that makes 1015fps in 4.4” barrel.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad