Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meplat: How Big is Too Big ?

Boolit Mold

Meplat: How Big is Too Big ?

Hello everyone,
    I have been creeping around here for a long time but haven't posted before now. Thanks everyone for the immense knowledge shared! I am about to take the plunge into revolvers and casting boolits. I am a lifelong "gun nut", deer hunter, handloader, and FFL, so not new to guns, just revolvers and casting. Years ago I almost got into casting (for a Ruger 77/44 and TC Encore 45 Colt, both with integral suppressors), but never did. I am now starting out with a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt 5.5" , and Ruger Blackhawk Bisley Flat Top 44 Special 4.75"? (Lipsey's). I am set on LBT/WFN style boolits. I plan on using 250-275gr range in the 45, and 240-260gr range in the 44. Velocity range +-1000fps for both guns. I'm not a fan of heavy recoil, less so as I get older. Hunting will be deer up to #230 (usually less) and hogs up to #300 (rarely). Shots would be up to 50yds with the ability to stretch out to 75 if needed. I am dead-set on Meplat of at least 80% for hunting loads. On Accurate Mold's site I have found many designs that fit my criteria, but have also seen some WFN styles with Meplats over 80%. Years ago I had a long telephone conversation with Veral about this. It's been a long time and my memory is rusty. IIRC he explained to me that the closer you get to full wadcutter, the less stable in regards to longer range accuracy and straight-line penetration. He offered to make an OWC (ogival wad cutter), but said it wouldn't be as stable as WFN, or LFN. That being said, my question is this: For my intended purpose, where do I "draw the line" in regards to Meplat width ? 80%, 85% ? More? I'm sure any of the designs I'm looking at would zip right thru any deer I am going to encounter, but I would prefer they not tumble and have straight-line penetration. In the thickets where I hunt a good size exit wound is critical to finding the deer if they dont' drop within a few feet. Thanks in advance for your help !

On another note, my first ever mold is being delivered today. It's an MP 454-423 Plain Base brass 4 cavity. I wanted to start with a classic design. Should be a good starter for plinking and hunting.
    I also have some Missouri Bullets PC Keiths on the way for both guns, until I get set up to cast my own.
    Last edited by 6.5X284ever; 04-16-2024 at 11:34 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I have killed more deer with a 358429 172gr Keith than with all my rifles combined. Not a brag, but I always wear my M28 S&W, and it came down to opportunity. So 80% is fine. At those velocities, you can use whatever alloy. In 45 Colt, my Dad and my younger brother used a Keith nominally 255gr that dropped 267gr from the mold, and I dare say if it was 230-240gr, I doubt it would be less effective. If a 220gr was available, it would do what you want and could be driven to 1150-1200fps with no added felt recoil and shoot a smidgen flatter to 75yds.
    My $0.02 for the day.

KB

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

My 2 cents
    If it feeds , it will work with a decent load

For Whitetail Deer I like a large Meplat and a modest velocity regardless of caliber
    I used to hunt with a Ruger SRH in 454 Casull and wanted to push the bullet as fast as possible

But after cutting away a bunch of blood shot meat several times
    I woke up
    So I now load a 85% meplat 275 gr GC powder coated cast bullet in the 454 that is a about 45 Colt Ruger load
    In the 44 Mag a 85% meplat 250 gr GC powder coated cast bullet at just above the middle load of 2400
    The 45/70 is a 400 gr NOE mold powder coated at about 1400 FPS out of the BFR or the Marlin not sure of the velocity

Nothing fancy or fast
    But all 3 loads shoot good groups and are easy to shoot

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    My 2 cents
    If it feeds , it will work with a decent load

For Whitetail Deer I like a large Meplat and a modest velocity regardless of caliber
    I used to hunt with a Ruger SRH in 454 Casull and wanted to push the bullet as fast as possible

But after cutting away a bunch of blood shot meat several times
    I woke up
    So I now load a 85% meplat 275 gr GC powder coated cast bullet in the 454 that is a about 45 Colt Ruger load
    In the 44 Mag a 85% meplat 250 gr GC powder coated cast bullet at just above the middle load of 2400
    The 45/70 is a 400 gr NOE mold powder coated at about 1400 FPS out of the BFR or the Marlin not sure of the velocity

Nothing fancy or fast
    But all 3 loads shoot good groups and are easy to shoot

John
    Sounds like we are on the same page. What are those two 85% meplat molds you mentioned ? Also, do ya'll know of any company making direct copy of LBT WFN molds ?

Boolit Master
    My understanding is the magic number is 70% from an external ballistics perspective. That said, I've see larger metlaps do wonders. Look at the Hammer Molds. Basically a flying soup can. If it's accurate and gets it done, who am I to judge.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot the Lee C452-300-RF and the metplat is probably around 85%. And for a pistol bullet the BC is decent at 0.233. Lee shows the BC of their bullets on their charts.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5X284ever View Post
    Sounds like we are on the same page. What are those two 85% meplat molds you mentioned ? Also, do ya'll know of any company making direct copy of LBT WFN molds ?
    I made those 2 molds

Not sure about direct copies of the LBT Molds

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

I will give Veral his due about the long range part but as far as penetration goes the large meplat in the 70-86% range penetrates straighter than a long skinny one IMHO and experience. For ME and maybe just me, but I have tried every concoction my weak mind could dream up and while I have had success with big fat meplats, nothing beats Elmers 429421 SWC for a do it all boolit.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    My MP 454-423 just got here. Beautiful piece !

Boolit Mold
    My MP 454-423 just got here. Beautiful piece ! Meplat seems to be ~.33". Didn't include any paperwork whatsoever. I'll have to research how to maintain it and preheat it. My Missouri Bullets for the 45 also came in. They are Keith style 255gr, the box says "Elmer", so I guess it's some version of the original Keith mold. There is a small "heel" on the base, Meplat seems to be ~.32"

Boolit Master
    Rationalize it out without meplatitis taking hold, a deer can tell nothing about diameter you shot him with. If a 70% meplat works well in a 41 cal, then that same meplat size is roughly 67% in 44 cal, and 63% in 45. This years deer was shot EOD on the last day of season while I was dragging in 2 others for family. She crossed in front of the tractor, broke down the hill and turned almost broadside at a lope. I shot her with my Mod 69 S&W 2.75 inch with a 250 Lee round nose at 15 Bhn which was probably no faster than 850 fps at that range. The gun was all I had on me and that was what was in it. At the shot she stopped, looked at me and began to cuss me out for NOT using a 45 with a 130% meplat. She went about 40 yards and sat down then fell over similar to an arrow lung hit reaction. My point is everything will work and everything will fail if you use it enough. It was a finger size hole in and out, blood everywhere.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master

Well. . .#1 is that the gun has to work. Not a major concern in a revolver or Contender, but if it has to double-duty in a gun where it must transit up a ramp, you may want to be a little more conservative with the nose.

The 452/454423 is Keith's concept for the .45 Auto Rim with a 75% meplat of .34". He never had any illusions of it being a long range bullet - it's pretty much all about blunt force trauma. He got a bit more artsy with the 255 grain 454424 as an all purpose bullet, but I often joke that Elmer must have been a little pissed off at the world when he designed the single-function 423. I've tried a couple copies of it and found it to be closer to 245-250 grains than the 238 it's advertised as - probably due to less linotype being used in our world today. Honestly, at 1,000 to 1,100 fps, it may be all you need. FWIW 75% seems to be the classic formula for the WFN concept, and the LFN's go about 70% and generally have a reputation for flying better over distance. If all you're doing is 75 yards, it's probably of little concern.

YMMV, but I'm a little dubious on the whole blood trail concept. Solid hits to the boiler room will drain a lot of blood into the chest cavity, but that blood is draining internally and downward away from the hole, and the skin is likely sliding back and forth over the hole preventing much in the way of external draining. A WFN that shatters the opposite leg AFTER taking out the heart may be a safer bet for the easy find.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

If you don't love that 454-423 I will be surprised my friend. It looks to have a real square lube groove and that is supposed to be the mark of uncle Elmer.
    My 45 mold that I am having great success with is an Accurate mold # 45-253M and is has the meplat to make an impression on whatever it hits.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-253M.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	325781
    Last edited by murf205; 04-17-2024 at 02:41 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    If you don't love that 454-423 I will be surprised my friend. It looks to have a real square lube groove and that is supposed to be the mark of uncle Elmer.
    My 45 mold that I am having great success with is an Accurate mold # 45-253M and is has the meplat to make an impression on whatever it hits.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-253M.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	325781
    That one is actually already on my short-list on the Accurate site. It may check all the boxes.

All the 45's I've shot it in took to it immediately. 45 Colt, 454, and especially the 45 auto rim.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5920 (480x640).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	325816

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    My understanding is the magic number is 70% from an external ballistics perspective. That said, I've see larger metlaps do wonders. Look at the Hammer Molds. Basically a flying soup can. If it's accurate and gets it done, who am I to judge.
    That is the sticker, Accuracy
    I have Hammer molds and Keith molds for my pistol
    Have found the Hammer not as Accurate as the Keith(it has a 62% meplat) now this is out of a 6.5" pistol barrel
    your milage may vary
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    That is the sticker, Accuracy
    I have Hammer molds and Keith molds for my pistol
    Have found the Hammer not as Accurate as the Keith(it has a 62% meplat) now this is out of a 6.5" pistol barrel
    your milage may vary
    I too prefer Keiths. But I've shot other molds with large meplats and they did very well. I'm not one to think that all large percentage meplat bullets will do well. I haven't shot the hammer molds, but I hear good things about them generally. That said, there comes a point where you're basically shooting a wadcutter. Personally, I have found for accuracy and terminal effects, I get the best bang for my buck with 60%-70% meplats. The mold I'm custom ordering (my design) this afternoon is sporting a 65% meplat. In my experience this is usually a good compromise.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

No such thing as too big. I shoot full wadcutters seated slightly out f the case for 38SW in my old Brit revolvers..looks great..paper target thinks they are great too. I imagine a bad guy would not like them though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enf-wc2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	325826

Vendor Sponsor

I am a big fan of Veral's LBT 250gr OWC-PB which has the largest meplat of any non-straight sided full wadcutter designs. It's very similar to boolits dropped from the Accurate # 45-253M mold.

I use this boolit in 45 Schofield brass over 21.5gr H110 with WLP primer with Veral's soft blue lube. This load goes right at 1200fps out of a 5 1/2" medium frame Vaquero, chambers reamed to 45 Schofield, and stays under the 23,000psi 45 ACP+P pressure ceiling this medium framed gun is rated for. The whole point of this project was not to download H110 to get into the slightly less than Ruger Only performance, but downsizing it into a smaller case keeping the high load density that H110 likes. Recoil is a LOT less than a full house Ruger Only load, it's snappy but pleasantly so.

Now that my health won't let me drag a yearling doe to the truck, it's ironic that I have the perfect gun/load combo for our sometimes kinda small Eastern NC whitetails.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger NMVaquero 45 Schofield.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	633.0 KB 
ID:	325827

Photo shows 3 LBT WFN boolits, LBT 250gr WFN-PB, LBT 250gr WFN-GC and on the right, the LBT 250gr OWC-PB
    Last edited by DougGuy; Yesterday at 01:00 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the great information so far, guys ! If Veral were still in business I would just order a 44 240 WFNPB and a 45 250 WFNPB and be done with it, as I trust he knew what he was doing. I see that there are some similar designs from others. At some point I may make a request for samples of those two LBT's to have duplicated by Accurate. If this casting thing holds my interest, I will probably accumulate a nice selection in fairly short order, as is my habit !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast