Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enjoying a cup of coffee while handloading !!

Enjoying a cup of coffee while handloading !!

Just brewed a delicious cup of strong coffee and am headed to my shop to load some cast 158 grain swc 357 mags. I know, I know I am breaking all the rules and am at risk of death from lead poisoning but I do have a covered thermos cup and am careful not to touch the drinking area when I imbibe. Anybody else have this bad habit and willing to admit it??�� I remember some old handloading ads that had a steaming cup next to the press lol.i guess there are worse proclivities

I do the same, if it's in the morning. That's why mugs have handles.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    Just brewed a delicious cup of strong coffee and am headed to my shop to load some cast 158 grain swc 357 mags. I know, I know I am breaking all the rules and am at risk of death from lead poisoning but I do have a covered thermos cup and am careful not to touch the drinking area when I imbibe. Anybody else have this bad habit and willing to admit it??�� I remember some old handloading ads that had a steaming cup next to the press lol.i guess there are worse proclivities
    I powdercoat everything for cartridge guns. No mess, no lube - and no exposure to lead. I wear gloves and a respirator when casting - still wear gloves when powder coating. Once that is done its safe, so I also drink coffee when reloading. I even make my coffee in a Keuring using refillable pods with coffee I ground myself - so thats reloading too.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E64EE973-479B-42F3-8265-0C0DC05FBE8C.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	326084

This is my current favorite until someone gets me a Vihtavuori one.

I’m not too worried about lead exposure. According to Richard Lee dust from dry tumbling brass is the biggest culprit. I wet tumble now.
    Spent primers drop down a tube on the bottom of the ram and directly into a trash bag with a rubber band holding it in place. I shoot outdoors.
    Blood level was barely measurable a couple of years ago.

Boolit Master
    I am a soda jerk so a can is always around (unless I am around a pot of melted lead).

Boolit Master
    I run my blood work once a month and do lead levels once a year. I cast more than most but less than some. I drink coffee and chew Copenhagen the entire time I cast.
    Been casting for a shade shy of the past 5 decades and I don't pop up with anything. Betting the caffeine and nicotine kill me before the Pb

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I don't normally stick my fingers into my coffee since I gave up cookies for Keto. I cannot think of how you cross contaminate the coffee with the lead from your fingers. Most lead poisoning is from paint or coatings (think red lead primer) and really went down in the environment when they took the tetraethylead out of gasoline.
    I wouldn't eat anything like finger foods as that would pick up lead for sure. But no coffee? Shoot me now!

KB

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I generally have a beverage at hand, coffee in the morning, water in the afternoon.

Other bad habits, I anneal plinking rifle brass and I roll size pistol brass. Oh, and I seem to have an affinity for less popular calibers, excepting 45GAP, 357sig, and 40S&W all of which I dodged.

Coffee and reloading makes life worth living.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I watch the birds and squirrels eat while I drink a cup in the mornings. I get up early and this lets the wife sleep in.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Mold
    Wife say it seems like I've been cutting down on coffee. Don't know, but always enjoy a good cup or pot. Coffee and water are drink staples when doing anything!!!!

Moderator Emeritus

I don't eat or drink while reloading or casting. But I'm not gonna tell someone else what to do or what not to do. I like having a reason to take a coffee break, wash the hands, and have a snack.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I tried drinking something while loading but had to stop. I would get busy and the coffee got cold and the beer got warm!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    The coffee is usually gone BEFORE I go to the reloading bench, but there is always a bottle of water within easy reach.

Everything I have ever done to earn a living required me to get my hands dirty so why would I be concerned about a little passive lead exposure?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
    I don't normally stick my fingers into my coffee since I gave up cookies for Keto. I cannot think of how you cross contaminate the coffee with the lead from your fingers. Most lead poisoning is from paint or coatings (think red lead primer) and really went down in the environment when they took the tetraethylead out of gasoline.
    I wouldn't eat anything like finger foods as that would pick up lead for sure. But no coffee? Shoot me now!

KB

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk
    Exactly......

Unless you inhale or ingest the lead residue off your fingers you won't get lead poisoning from handling cast bullets when reloading them or from handling the cartridges after loading.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

I do the same thing except that I usually switch over to beer in the afternoon. I don't drink when I'm charging cases but I will have a beer or two while casting or doing case prep. I also like to have a cup while sitting in the loading room looking out of the window and watching the birds and squirrels.

Glad to know I am not the only one who lives life on the edge lol.

Boolit Bub
    Coffee, iced tea, or a glass of water is almost always within arms reach when I'm loading. Not on the bench, but not far away either.

Boolit Bub

Black coffee in the morning, water the rest of the day. Always have a cup close by while I am doing anything.
    Last edited by Bull; 04-29-2024 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Misspelled word

Boolit Grand Master
    Your fine. Don't stir with your fingers.
    Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin