Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Did i do something wrong??? Black powder 1858

Boolit Mold

Did i do something wrong??? Black powder 1858

I'm not sure where this belongs. I'm new to black powder so bear with me. I took some Triple 7 FF and didn't have any FFF. I ground some FF in a ceramic mortar and pestle and loaded it into my 1858 revolver. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Now I'm second-guessing myself and am afraid to pull the trigger. I'm guessing this was a bad idea. Am I right? If it is unsafe, can I take out the nipples and push the load out with a punch or will I have to pull the balls from the front? Forgive my lack of knowledge. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Boolit Buddy
    How many grains of powder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I’m no black powder shooter, but I do know that, for a given weight of powder, grain size affects the available surface area when the powder starts and then continues to burn, with smaller burning the charge faster. Grain shape is also carefully controlled for the same reason.

If you ground the powder, your grain size is smaller (and variable if not sieved) and irregular. I’d guess it will burn faster, but how much faster idk. From my limited understanding you may have a risky situation on hand.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    How many grains of powder?

It's been sitting a while. I didn't shoot over the winter. As I recall, I used a Lee dipper to measure the powder.

Boolit Buddy

Did i do something wrong??? Black powder 1858

So I make paper cartridges for my 1858.

Occasionally they go bad in the cylinder if I haven’t shot it that long, (lube cookies can contaminate the powder depending of temperature in storage and other things)

take your cylinder out, chuck a 4 inch or so deck screw into a hand drill and carefully thread the screw into your lead ball. Then pull it out by hand.

Just don’t scrape your cylinder wall with the screw. The lead is soft so it shouldn’t be too big of a problem

Also I routinely shoot 40-50 grains with my Remington if you ground a large about of powder like that you may be in trouble to shoot it.

If it was a standard 15-30 grains it’s probably fine.

If you really like your 58 Remmy I’d stick to stock powders and tested loads

You may find these useful Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2411.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	326193

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2412.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	326194
    Last edited by johnsonian09; Yesterday at 12:23 PM.

How MUCH did you measure into your chambers? You did use a powder measure, right? Powder that is ground down has to be screened to ensure uniformity, or at least as uniform as you can get.

Triple Seven 1858.

Hodgdon- Triple Seven is a high-energy powder designed to provide the muzzleloading hunter serious knockdown power. To duplicate a black powder load velocity using Triple Seven, set the volumetric charge 15% lower than recommended for
    black powder. Triple Seven is loaded by volumetric measure, NOT by weight.

Modern guns, no problen with the smaller 25 grains. If loaded more? Good luck.

I have filled the cylinder chambers with *BLACK POWDER* full enough to allow room for the ball. Powder is compressed. Modern firearms only. No measure used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240503_005704.jpg  
    Last edited by 243winxb; Today at 01:46 AM. Reason: *Black Powder*

Boolit Mold
    Hello twinscrew,
    If your nervous about your load than yes remove it from the chambers. Remove the nipples and using a brass or aluminium rod push the powder and balls out of the chambers. Although I have not used Triple Seven I have used Pyrodex RS (2 ffg) and Black MZ (also a 2 ffg) with no problems in my revolvers.

Boolit Buddy
    Another thing to note, if your 58 is a brass frame model. It can’t take any hot loads. Period full stop. The frame is the part that will stretch out and fail on you overtime if you abuse it.

Conversion cylinders are also steel frame only because of the stress. And most of those recommend soft lead and cowboy loads.

The only conversion cylinders that call out normal velocity factory jacketed ammo as being okay is the .45 ACP conversion kit by Kirst. But not normal modern .45colt. The parts that break aren’t the modern cylinders but the frame itself.

Banner Sponsor

777 is not Black Powder!
    Please throw all of your ground powder away.
    Next I would pull the balls and dump that powder also.
    You can use FFg in your revolver without any problems.