Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Mold for .41 Freedom Arms

Boolit Mold

Mold for .41 Freedom Arms

Hi all.
    I bought a 220 gr GC Arsenal mold for silhouette however I have to seat the projectile OVER the front driving band instead of into the crimp groove (I use a LEE factory crimp die to hold it in place) because of the tight throat in the Freedom arms revolvers.

Is that the only solution? Do I need to get a mold that casts projectiles such as a SAECO 415 220 TCGC? I really like this mold but I'm thinking I should have discussed my requirements with a mold maker instead of splashing out on a mold that really isn't working as I want it to.

Cheers,

Boolit Master

Slug the bore to find out what the groove diameter is. Check the throat dimensions in the chambers. If you can size the boolits to fit in the throats, and still be 1-2 thousandths that would be ideal.

You can carefully partially resize too - just the front band. You have to be able to set the stroke distance of the bullet into the die.
    Nose resizing basically.

I have done this for Linebaugh revolvers - the throats on mine are tight for 1-2 thou over bore if using a WFN.
    A short drive band, and I don't have the issue. It's due to where throat comes in in the cylinder.

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer to crimp my boolits in the crimp groove also ... crimping over the first (front) driving band just never seemed a proper way to solve this problem .

My 41 Magnum is a model 58 S&W and the following two NOE moulds work perfectly when crimped into the crimp groove ,
    NOE #413-215-WC (413432) 215 gr. wadcutter
    NOE #412-237-SWC (Elmer Keith Signature Mould) 237 gr. - SWC - PB

The following two Lyman moulds also work just fine when crimped in the crimp groove but have been discontinued by Lyman ,
    Lyman #410459 - 220 gr. SWC - PB
    Lyman #410610 - 215 gr. SWC - GC

You can size the boolits for the cylinder throats or talk to DougGuy about doing a throat job on the cylinder ... if they are too tight for boolits .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    Groove diameter of the barrel, from memory, is .410". The throat is also at .410". I size to .410"
    Length of cylinder is 1.785" throat is .475" so with the case at its trim to length of 1.280" I don't have much to play with before the driving band is entering the throat. Actually the ogive of this projectile is so that it doesn't have a driving band in the strictest sense of the word more a slug with grease grooves which then curves to a quite wide meplat.
    If I knew how to upload a pic/screenshot of the projectile I would, it would explain it far better than the word salad above!
    Last edited by TacomaPete; Yesterday at 01:58 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Groove diameter of the barrel, from memory, is .410". The throat is also at .410". I also size to .410"
    Length of cylinder is 1.785" throat is .475" so with the case at its trim to length of 1.280" so I don't have much to play with before the driving band is entering the throat. Actually the ogive of this projectile is so that it doesn't have a driving band in the strictest sense of the word more a slug with grease grooves which then curves to a quite wide meplat.
    I don't see too many options here except to look at different mold designs, and check the specs before laying out cash.
    Anyone interested in buying a lightly used .41 Mag mold....

Boolit Mold
    Groove diameter of the barrel, from memory, is .410". The throat is also at .410". I also size to .410"
    Length of cylinder is 1.785" throat is .475" so with the case at its trim to length of 1.280" so I don't have much to play with before the driving band is entering the throat. Actually the ogive of this projectile is so that it doesn't have a driving band in the strictest sense of the word more a slug with grease grooves which then curves to a quite wide meplat.
    I don't see too many options here except to look at different mold designs, and check the specs before laying out cash.
    Anyone interested in buying a lightly used .41 Mag mold....