RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for bullet recommendations - 38 special

Boolit Buddy

Looking for bullet recommendations - 38 special

Just picked up a S&W 627, 8 shot revolver and getting it broke in. I plan to use it for steel plate challenge competition at our local range. Seems to be a difference of opinion as to what bullet to use so the moon clips load quickly and easily on the timed reloading.

I find some like the standard 158 grain bullet in a round nose. Someone else likes a 110 grain bullet in a TC design. I don't have to be concerned with power factor so the less recoil the better. Any ideas of a great bullet to cast or possibly purchase? I will be shooting 38 special in this with moon clips.

Right now I cast all of my own bullets for other calibers and purchase nothing. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

jmho - any 158 grain swc loaded to sufficient power+ fits your bore should be fine -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

I just looked at Accurate Molds catalogue and considering what you want to do with speed loaders, the 152-M looks like it would almost self feed in that gun. I have one of Toms 160-H molds, which might not be streamlined enough for fast reloading in competition but it might just be the most versatile and accurate boolits I own for 38 caliber guns. Good luck, that 8 shot 627 is a heck of a gun.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Have used SWC with speed loaders and sometimes the shoulder on the bullet will hang up on the edge of the chamber and slow the reloading process. RN and TC bullets will slide right in making for a smooth reload. Lee makes a 358 RF bullet mold in either 125 or 158 gr weight that work perfectly with speed loaders.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I got into a new game, I would rarely listen to what I call "club shooters".

I found that finding what the top shooters were doing/using was what helped me the most. I would even invest in clincs they would offer. They have done a lot work to find what works best for them. Everyone I met was generous with advice and help.

Something to think about is asking the guys you shoot with for a handful of bullets and see what works best in your gun wrt to feeding efficiently using the proper moon clips. If they do not have the bullets you want, ask here, or buy commercial offerings.

Good luck!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Lots of good bullets for the .38/.357 exist. My personal favorites are the Lyman 358477 and 358311. I'll load either over 5.0gr of Unique for a VERY accurate load.

But you're looking at speed of reloads, and don't care about heavy weight. So maybe the Lee 358-105-SWC would fit the bill. I cuts clean holes but is fast to load due to the pointy end. And it's a pretty accurate design. If cutting nice full caliber holes is not of the greatest concern, maybe a 120gr Truncated Cone design such as the 358402 or the Lee 356-120-TC or TL356-124-TC could work for you. They should be fast on reloads, and will be light recoiling. But you might have to cast hot with a high tin alloy to get close to .358", and even then may need to PC to get a little increase in size. You might also check to see if MP or NOE has any equivalent molds that will cast large enough for you.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Hi Guy, my opinion would be the heavier the better for knocking over steel.
    I did that for a decade or so.
    Good format, I miss it, age issues.
    Much obliged, Max

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee 356-124 RN and PC them to 0.358. Nice round nose feeds with no hang-ups. Likewise the Lee 358-150 1R, another round nose.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Is this revolver going to serve any other purpose beyond "gamer gun"?

If no, a lighter bullet with as much taper to the nose, and no SWC shoulder will give you the least recoil and the smoothest reload.

If yes, taper the nose as above but try for a weight and bearing surface similar to what those other functions will be so you don't have to make a major adjustment to sight settings or your recoil management technique.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I've been wanting to try the Lee-356-147-TC in 38 Special. It sure looks like it'd fit the bill if taper crimped or collet crimped.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

With paper targets, not steel, I have had good results with the 140 SWC from a Lee mold.

I've had good accuracy from the Lee 358-140-SWC too. Some targets around an inch at 25 yards from my wife 686, rested of course.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies, I am going to start checking out some of these recommendations.

To answer a few of the questions:
    Yes, I enjoy revolvers and really like the 8 shot but this will be shot in competition (not extremely serious) but does require a good and fast reload during rounds.

My staple for my other revolvers is the RCBS 359-150 - a 158 grain SWC and a Saeco 148 grain WC and while both shoot well, they do not load as smoothly as I would like. Of course, this reloading with moon clips is a new experience for me as well so I am learning.

I have talked to different shooters at the range who have these same set ups. All use something different, one likes a standard 158 grain RN he doesn't even know where he got it, another likes a 110 grain pointy little bugger that loads great for him and less recoil but again, source unknown and the third uses a round nose as well but I need more info.

I already shoot a Prodigy and Ruger Carbine along with some 22's in competition and enjoy it. I just got started doing this last year and now I am 70 but in great shape and still have the reflexes.

Just as another aside, I have multiple moon clips from a guy in Ohio, Ranch Products but have not used them yet. TK's came with the 627 and I built my own loader and unloader for now.

Thanks for the info

The RCBS you speak of is probably the RCBS-38-150-SWC. I have one and I love it, it shoots great, but it's not very speed reload friendly. I use it in my wife's 686 with speed loaders.

Another option you might consider, since you mentioned you already have a SAECO mould is the 158 grain SAECO 358 or the 180 grain SAECO 353. I know you said you was thinking lighter, but... going heavier might expand your options.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    I've found the NOE 359-121-RN (Lyman 358242 Clone) to be super accurate in 9MM, 38 Spl and 357.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

I have 3 smith carry revolvers, all with 2 1/2 inch barrels in all steel construction. Each one shoots great using standard round nose lead and very quick and easy using speed loaders.

In the '90's I was shooting IPSC & decided having fun was the most important goal. Being basically a wheel gun guy, I went at it with a 4" 25-5 with 230RN cast boolits and a 6" 686 with Lee 150RN boolits. Of course I had to meet a power factor, so the 686 loads were .357 just enough to be legal.

That lee 150RN will do what you need to do. If I was competing today (@ 84 that will never happen), I'd use the MP "Hammer". It would speed load & you could use a mild powder charge & still be assured of knocking down the plates. It is now my favorite .38 Spec./.357 boolit.

Good luck.
    Henry

Both TC & RN load fine in moon clips. If its just hitting steel, I would go 110 or even 90gr bullets, zero recoil.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master
    My only experience with moon clips was thirty or so years ago with a S&W Model 25-2 in .45 ACP. Based on that and your not needing to meet any power factor, I will recommend trying various RN and tapered cone style boolits until you find the one that feeds best and shoots with sufficient accuracy.

It sounds to me like you need a projectile that once it is in the chamber mouth has no choice but to guide the case the rest of the way into the cylinder, along with its seven companions. There are a lot of choices in the 9mm/.38 range between 110 and 160ish grains.

Good luck,

Robert

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have three favorites that I've had good luck with out of 38s in barrel lengths from my Smith 36 snub thru various lengths op to 6".

Lee 358 158gr TL SWC
    Ideal/Lyman 358-242 120 ish grain
    Ideal/Lyman 358-311 160 isn grain

The last two, I upgraded to NOE's versions in multiple cavity blocks to cast faster.

I'm primarily a plibkrt / can destroyer and suppose a lot depends on what you shoot and the purpose it is being used for. I also used the same ib 38 spl in a Hamdi Rifle I once had - the heavier booliys shot the best (for me - maybe others not so ?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast