Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 8x57 Mauser "M" die for .303 Brit?

Boolit Mold

Question 8x57 Mauser "M" die for .303 Brit?

I've got a problem: I've decided to coax my No. 4 rifle (a 2-groove Savage) to shoot Montana Bullets' 190 grain spire point bullet, sized .315.

Yeah, I know, it's probably never gonna happen. But I'm stubborn... and like an idiot, I bought Lyman's M die for the .303, only to learn the expander plug mics .309. I'd like a plug that mics .313 or thereabouts (if a little larger I can patch).

.313 inch is 7.95 mm. I wonder if Lyman's M die for the 8x57 is worth a try? Or is there a machinist somewhere who could turn out a custom expander plug?

Or would .313 be too small? Maybe as much as .315... brass spring-back would be, what?
    Last edited by DxF; Yesterday at 05:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    NOE makes a push thru sizing die with many, many bushings. He does stock .314, .315, .316, .317.....

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't load for the .303 British but do load for various other .30 and .31 cal rifles. Since I normally use a .311 or .312" boolit, I use the M die meant for the .32 S&W family of cartridges.

Whether it will work for your .315", I do not know but tis worth a try if you have one.

Something tells me the M die for the 8x57 will be way too large, nominal bullet diameter for that is .323" no matter what the actual conversion of 8mm to imperial is. You could get one and turn the diameter down in an electric drill and sand paper to whatever works for you.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have used the same M die for my Mauser and My enfield. Sometimes it depends a little on the M die-- I have had to play with how far I screw the M die into the press, checking with a case as I go, until it is 'just right.'
    Hick: Iron sights!