Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Bub
    Turning a bucket of wheel weights into ingots.

Mark

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Not sure why the picture rotated... sorry!
    Download Irfanview and use it to change the orientation of the photos before you upload them?

Boolit Master

Loaded a few 6.5 to test in my ljungman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJUNGMAN fodder!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Cousin snagged a FN49 in 7x57 for cheap so I dug out and prepped him some brass to load.

Was running low on 45 Colt boolits so I finally made it out to make more. 20 lbs of 454424 from COWW. I was having trouble with it not wanting to fill out properly without frosting. Went the full range of temps to try and figure it out, finally deciding it just liked to cast hot, they were frosted but perfect fill out. At the end of the session it occurred to me that I was an idiot. Tin. Had some within reaching distance and never occurred to me to add some, probably would have solved it. But they're useable and kinda sparkly so not a total loss, and I learned something.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I started a way overdue reorganizing and bench cleaning. I had no idea how much 'stuff' I had squirreled away the past 12-14 years in my reloading room.

I started by setting up a large folding table in the other half of the shop (it's divided into two rooms). First, I went after the powder. I had cans of powders given to me from various friends and sources. I discovered some of those cans didn't have enough to load 100 pistol rounds. Others had been opened and partially used, but not by me. All in all, I decided to play it safe and make fertilizer out of 6-8 cans. I also discovered I have a lot more molds than I thought I have.

I have been putting this off for far too long. What got me in gear was recently I sent my Dillon 550B in for a rebuild. I decided I would not remount it to my bench until I had things sorted out. I have but a few chosen friends who have ever seen the inside of my shop. I finally reached the point I'd be embarrassed to show anyone. And, finding things was beginning to become a problem as well. I don't need a larger shop, I just need to reorganize!

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Did my ballistic gel test yesterday

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...14#post4052314

Since Friday...when the RCBS Green Machine arrived, I built a stand to mound her on, learned how to set her up and loaded 100 rounds of .38 Special with only a couple of hiccups that I caused.
    It's a pretty cool old school inline press, it's different and funny too...the funny is how we get our minds going around in circles with our carousel progressives and are used to watching the process like that...then you try an inline press and it takes a little while to get the 'monkey mind' to follow and keep track of the right stuff at the right time...

RCBS Green Machine...Inline press...revived
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Loaded up my first 180gr cast .401 (10mm) for my RIA, Pro Match Model 52000.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Since Friday...when the RCBS Green Machine arrived, I built a stand to mound her on, learned how to set her up and loaded 100 rounds of .38 Special with only a couple of hiccups that I caused.
    It's a pretty cool old school inline press, it's different and funny too...the funny is how we get our minds going around in circles with our carousel progressives and are used to watching the process like that...then you try an inline press and it takes a little while to get the 'monkey mind' to follow and keep track of the right stuff at the right time...

RCBS Green Machine...Inline press...revived
    Double triple neato. When/how does it prime?

Jeff...I prime off press on all the presses. (RCBS bench prime) I've been fearful of having a high primer in a semi auto and having an issue like going bang out of battery. Prolly a million to one it happening but it's lodged in the back of my monkey brain so I have to heed the warning.

It is more time involved in this sport...but a retired old fat guy doesn't mind.

You can watch all the events going on in a progressive press but you can't watch the priming quality of it's install, flush at least, or .002" under flush. When I take my primed brass from the bench prime I automatically swipe my left index finger over the primer, don't even have to look...instantly I know it is at proper seating depth...if not, I'll fix it right then. In a progressive you don't have any idea of priming quality until you look over the finished product, which very few will do...everybody's in too much of a hurry these days.

I became leery of priming problems a long time ago when I started loading for the M-14...slamfires and high primers, too weak of a primer shell...it goes on and on, then the more I read about primers in general, the more respect I started having for those lil-buggers.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Jeff...I prime off press on all the presses. (RCBS bench prime) I've been fearful of having a high primer in a semi auto and having an issue like going bang out of battery. Prolly a million to one it happening but it's lodged in the back of my monkey brain so I have to heed the warning.

It is more time involved in this sport...but a retired old fat guy doesn't mind.

You can watch all the events going on in a progressive press but you can't watch the priming quality of it's install, flush at least, or .002" under flush. When I take my primed brass from the bench prime I automatically swipe my left index finger over the primer, don't even have to look...instantly I know it is at proper seating depth...if not, I'll fix it right then. In a progressive you don't have any idea of priming quality until you look over the finished product, which very few will do...everybody's in too much of a hurry these days.

I became leery of priming problems a long time ago when I started loading for the M-14...slamfires and high primers, too weak of a primer shell...it goes on and on, then the more I read about primers in general, the more respect I started having for those lil-buggers.
    Thanks, Charlie

I do all my rifle priming off press, mostly because the majority of the brass I reload is military and I've found that even when it's swaged, there can be hiccups. Pistol I don't mind doing on the progressive because it almost always goes smooth, and I get a pretty good feel feeback from the LNL AP.

I tumbled a thousand pieces of Speer 223 brass in the F.A.R.T. this weekend.

Yeah, that's all I managed to accomplish.

It's been raining, windy, and cold here all weekend.
    I've spent the last couple days straightening-up, cleaning-up, sorting, reorganizing, and combining. Found stuff I forgot I had, stuff I thought I'd lost, and stuff I can't figure out why I kept. I found 3 tubes of Lee case lube... I don't remember ever using it, and one tube was so old it crumbled in my hand. I found 1000 Winchester small pistol primers I'd stashed away in the back of a cabinet for some reason?? I must have 1500-2000 once-fired shotshell hulls... and half that many that have been reloaded at least once (I shot trap league at one time). Does anyone remember the Lage Uniwad?? In 20 gauge?? LOL... in a couple more years those will be bonafide antiques and I'll be rich. Where did all those miscellaneous, unmatched, unidentified, and forgotten scope bases and rings come from?? And trigger shoes... when did I use those?? I found a box labeled "Miscellaneous Gun Parts"... yep, that's whats in there. I also found the box of replacement sky screen parts for my Pact Chronograph... I've been looking for that for at least 2 years (but I've made due with black tape and solder in the meantime). And I found the primer tubes for my RCBS press‼ Not that I'd likely ever use them again, or that's a big deal... but when I found them I couldn't remember or figure out what they were... I nearly tossed 'em and then the (rare) light bulb went off in my head. By-the-way, I now have at least 3 times as many shell holders as I thought I had... an extra deburring tool... and an extra cutter head for my trimmer. Why do I have a set of Hollywood Gun Shop reloading dies for the .218 Bee?? And a set of Herters dies for the .264 Win Mag?? And two taper crimp dies for the .45 ACP when I just acquired my first .45 ACP 1911 just a few weeks ago?? I could go (it's been kind'a fun) but...

One questing that keeps haunting me... I haven't fired a factory loaded metallic in at least 20 years (likely longer)... how in the heck did I acquire so many empty cartridge boxes?? I had empty boxes for cartridges I don't remember ever having a firearm for. I ended up crushing/stuffing a tall kitchen garbage plum full.

Boolit Master
    I rooted around in my cabinet and found some .357 ammo I loaded up a few years ago. Gotta have something ready to feed the Model 19-4 I just traded for. Still gotta get some SWC boolits or a good mold.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I loaded 150 rounds of different ammo to run through my 9mm Range Officer. I have 3 different loads to try out.

Boolit Master

100 rounds of 10mm for my GSSF match next Saturday. I went with 5.7grs of Unique behind a Hornady XTP. It has given me my best group ever...
    Last edited by Idaho45guy; 05-22-2017 at 04:11 AM.

I've been cleaning and organizing the reloading table and that part of the room is shaping up nicely. I cannot say much for the rest of the room. Some day, well maybe.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trixter View Post
    I've been cleaning and organizing the reloading table and that part of the room is shaping up nicely. I cannot say much for the rest of the room. Some day, well maybe.
    I've been keeping my eye out for some shelves to put on my table; it's a mess.

Page 209 of 604 FirstFirst ... 109159199200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216217218219259309 ... LastLast