Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Buddy
    Cranked out 2 boxes of 38 spl+p 105 lee swc with 4.5 he IMR PB. Gotta have something to shake the Dan Wesson down with. Maybe a few for the model 38 as well. If I can't get my .45 shooting well I will probably use the half lb this way. Otherwise I am probably using up this batch that way.

I should really crank a few out in 357 mag with h110 for that too. Bet those are screamers!

Boolit Buddy

After shooting test loads a few days ago I loaded up 300+, 45 loads with 200gr SWC from my new HG68 replica 6 holer. Loaded with 4.5 grains of red dot (cuz I have 10 lbs of it)
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master
    Loaded 50 x 45-70 and 50x 357mag .have catch up as I've been too busy to do anything as swmbo had me painting the hall and landing.

Banned

Deprimed about 500 pieces of range police brass, then wet tumbled them. Now I'm in the process of tumble polishing them. Counted out 200 22-250 cases for a local trade later this week for 200 7.62X39 cases. Cast about 500 pills the other day and I'll be powder coating them this week.

Boolit Master

Neck sized and primed the 70 freshly annealed 7.62x54r cases from the club Bolt-gun match a couple Sundays ago.

Weight sorted 9 pounds of Lee C312-185-1R that I cast a few weeks ago. Sorted in 3 piles : 184+ gr, 185+ gr, 186+ gr.
    The majority were 185 - 185.99 grains. I'm pretty pleased with the consistency, I used 2 Lee moulds to cast the bunch.

Anything 183 gr I saved for foulers, turned out to be only 10 boolits.
    Only 1 boolit under weight, it goes back in the pot.

Boolit Buddy
    I modded my LNL AP a bit more and blew through 100 rds of .38 Special. I thought I was running above +P loads but it turns out they're just .38 SPL+P which is good. I don't like loading hot into .38 brass and would rather use .357 brass for that. I cranked a box of Lee 105 SWCs with 4.9gr PB (the +P loading for 110gr XTPs) as well as a loading of 4.4gr PB which is standard pressure. I'm predicting good results in my j-frame and needed some ammo to test the Dan out with anyways. Between this and the box of .45 ACP I made I should already be 1/3 through the can. At some level I'm just trying to consolidate the powder collection by loading it up.

I did some repair on my priming for this press. The adjustment for the shuttle wouldn't go back far enough to line up with the tube so I ovaled the hole of the plastic piece a bit more. It seems to work now with a lot less jam ups and I only had 1 primer of the 100 where the round didn't have a primer in it. Big big improvement and something that could have easily enough been a technique error. I didn't have to take it apart which was huge.

Maybe I'll crank out some 9mm tomorrow. We'll see. I need to definitely make a few thousand more bullets at this point as I'm way ahead in the other components. Snow's on the ground though and it was supposedly -9 with windchill. Yeah, not casting many slugs in that for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I decided to find out if my revolvers had a preference for a particular powder. I loaded up five 50 round boxes of 158 grain RNFP cast boolits using Titegroup, Bullseye, Win 231, CFE pistol, and Win WSH. All loads are near max for 38 special but less than +P.
    I have a couple more handgun powders available but did not have time to load them. If I have time, I will do so tomorrow.
    I expect to get to the range sometime this week. I will take as many of my 38/357 revolvers with me as I can. I have eight of them to test.
    S&W 60, 13, 14, 15, 19, 686, Ruger Security 6 and a Speed 6.
    That's not much more than a cylinder full for each gun/load, but I am looking for indications of a distinct preference and hoping for no preference at all.
    Update on the testing. I ended up loading 7 different powders. I took the laded rounds and my revolvers to the range today and fired off all the loads.
    I did find two powders that seem to shoot somewhat better than the rest but not by a lot. The testing was highly subjective in that I was shooting offhand at 10 yards. I would fire 6 rounds from each gun and inspect the target after each 6 rounds to see what was happening.
    With all but 3 powders, I was getting consistent groups of three inches with all guns. Those three powders tightened the groups by about an inch. It was noticeable when it happened.
    The three powders were CFE Pistol, Bullseye, and WSH.
    I expected CFE Pistol and Bullseye to shoot well. I have worked with them a lot over the last few years. The surprise was WSH. It isn't considered a pistol powder and I have never seen or heard of anyone using it before in 38 special. I have used it before in 9mm.
    All the other powders performed as you would expect. Nothing bad, just nothing outstanding.

Boolit Buddy
    Not too surprised on Bullseye honestly I noticed the same thing compared to Titegroup. Kind of annoys me since I have a 4lb jug of the stuff I'm not quite half way through and you have to crunch out a LOT of ammo to actually use the stuff up. Maybe I'll try another caliber.

I cranked out 100 more loads with PB. I dropped down to 4.4gr instead of 4.9gr (the +P loading) in case it doesn't work out well. I should really test some of this stuff it's gonna suck if there's an issue since I have about 250 rounds of it made now+another 50 or so of .45 ACP.

Debating if I want to do a box of Lee 105 SWCs in .357 mag with 296 next or if I want to do some with Bullseye. Either way, I need a box or two in order to make the call of my people at the range.

Cast about 500 or so Accurate 40-180H boolits for my 10mm...
    I think I need to do another session this weekend and do another 500 or so.

The 10mm is the *new* gun and after building up a nice load, I think I'm gonna be shooting it a lot.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

The 10is a favorite here too Bam!!

Im having to take a lil hiatus from my loading room... trading it for deer camp!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Ordered a set of mini connectors for attaching different sensors, (thermocouples) to the pid box. So I can switch from Lee 20# pot to the bake oven for powder coating. Easy install with a Drimmel cutting wheel. This time only took 1 wheel, key to cutting with this apparatus, is going slow and let it cut (real slow) if you go too fast you just tear up cutting disk. Temperature holds close to set point +- 1’perfect for either. 400’ or 725’
    Cast em up and pc em up.

Boolit Bub
    Coated 379 40 cal 145swc,s this morning.

Boolit Bub
    Coated 379 40,s this morning cast yesterday

Moderator Emeritus

I haven't done much in the reloading room lately.
    BUT, yesterday, during the House impeachment show, I decided to sort and package Primers.

A couple years ago, I acquired 4 large pill bottles of unused bulk packed Primers.
    I knew that style of storage is a recipe for disaster, and have been meaning to repack them into Winchester packaging that I have saved. There were a few thousand primers, so I hadn't felt like spending that kind of time on a project like this, until yesterday.

I also spent the time to inspect them and sort out any that may be of different manufacture. I also compared them to others I have in my stash, to see of the anvil style and glue/sealer color matched anything, so I could have an idea of what they were, since the pill bottles only labeling was in black marker "lg pistol" "sm pistol" "lg Rifle" "sm Rifle".

It took several hours...but I got 'em sorted, packed and labeled (3 and a half bricks) ...and finished before the pundents started yakking about how the Hearing went.

The Large Rifle primers were that only bottle with mixed manufacturers...and that was luckily only 6 out of 400ish total, that were different than the majority.
    All the pistol primers were Winchesters (WSP/WLP). The small rifle primers were CCI 400 and I have no idea what the majority of the Large rifle were?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Cleaned a shotgun in preparation for tomorrows holiday for hunters .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Reworked a Lee full length sizing die to be able to resize loaded cartridges that had been previously neck sized for another rifle that I sold in 1989. I broke down a few of the cases to try the empty brass in my two rifles and stuck the brass in both so they all need to be body and shoulder resized. The reworked die works very well.

So I now have about 1700 .223 left do do.

Boolit Buddy
    I acquired some H4198 powder. Excited about that. I'm going to trade my Titegroup off for some other powder. Maybe CFE Pistol or (preferably) some rifle powder.

Boolit Master
    Honest question, how do you have 1700 loaded rounds from 1989? I cant keep 10k of 9mm loaded for more than a year! Do I need to step up my stashing game?

Loaded a box of 30-30 w/115gr cast RN for grand kid break action. Her dad is taking her on first deer hunt.
    Trail Boss is working fine and mild recoil.
    Switched over to 45acp for more fun reloading. Tumbled a batch each of 223 and 45acp.
    smilin jack

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Honest question, how do you have 1700 loaded rounds from 1989? I cant keep 10k of 9mm loaded for more than a year! Do I need to step up my stashing game?
    My shooting buddy and I would load 4000 rounds apiece for a week and a half for Wyoming prairie dogs. I had 3 Rem 700 Varmint .223 rifles and had neck sized rounds for 2 of them. We had nothing but educated dogs and had about not quite half of our ammo to take back home. My ammo got consolidated into two 50 cal. ammo cans by mistake and it was not by me.

Since the ammo was mixed and I did not want to get a loaded cartridge stuck in a chamber I just put the ammo in the 50 cal. cans in my basement. That was the last year I went dog shooting. The rifles got sold and I bought a Model 70 about that time and it would not chamber some of that pulled down empty cases. So there it sat until.

I just purchased a MINI 14 and got to looking at that ammo and decided to do something with it. At 50 yards it will shoot 10 shots into a group just under 2.0 inches vertical and .75 horizontal. Not real great but it’s a Mini 14.

I also do about 95% plus of my shooting with cast bullets so it did not bother me that much.

Attachment 251347

Page 408 of 601 FirstFirst ... 308358398399400401402403404405406407408409410411412413414415416417418458508 ... LastLast