Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Bub
    Did some cleaning, sorted some brass I picked up from the range and sold my pro melter.

Cleaned up my Lee 4-20 pot. Also tried to polish the port and rod in it so it would stop dripping so much. Hope it fixes the problem but may have to read some of the threads on this if it doesn't.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    I had the same issue with a highpoint carbine. Found the firing pin spring was too weak for s&b. As they all fierd fine in a different gun.

The lc9 is a small gun

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    That was my initial thought. I have some winchester primers I'll try out and see if the lc9s likes those better. if they fire fine in my full size guns then I'll just use factory ammo in my ccw gun.

After further reading, appears to be a common issue on the platform. I'll take it apart and clean it, but if the issue persists will send it back to ruger.
    Last edited by DerekP Houston; 10-19-2016 at 08:44 AM.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

I have gotten into Powder Coat. I coated some 225 Lee boolits and learned several things: Aluminum foil sticks to powder coat paint, It is very difficult to remove shreds of foil from the tiny 225 boolits when they are bonded with powder coat paint, foil shreds and burnt powder coat paint make a mess in your lead pot, 1/4" mesh hardware cloth makes a better boolit holder than aluminum foil and the boolits almost can't help but be beautiful, My wife is not too impressed with loaded cartridges even if they resemble lip stick. What an informative interlude I have had.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Finished up [for now] adding to my reloading bench.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161020_102819.jpg 
Views:	1398 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	179123
    I'll add some drawers someday in the future. But for now I have plently of light and plenty of space.

I went up to my local range today and signed in at 10:15 am, shot 4 different rifles over several hours, sorted through a bunch of range brass, and then finally signed out at 5:05 pm! Stopped for a quick bite of dinner on the way home, then put all of today's fired brass into the tumbler ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I got overwhelemed with how much I have been learning and digesting it all, so I just paced back and forth a while...

I had some naive experience years ago in Loading for Hand Gun Revolver and .38 Auto and .45 Auto, ( all good, all methodical and done well, never a dud or misadventure, but, merely pedantic steps, following directions no hot loads, ) and lately I have been wanting to understand it all better.

So...

Boolit Bub
    cleaning up the bench and re-organizing the bullets ready for fall reloading. It was a mess

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    That was my initial thought. I have some winchester primers I'll try out and see if the lc9s likes those better. if they fire fine in my full size guns then I'll just use factory ammo in my ccw gun.

After further reading, appears to be a common issue on the platform. I'll take it apart and clean it, but if the issue persists will send it back to ruger.
    follow up, took the firing pin out and found pieces of primer metal in the channel. I'm guessing those were causing the light primer strike issues, will test it at the range next week. also cast up some of the new mp 9mm mold and got them hitek'd and pc'd for testing.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Annealed a bunch of brass ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master

Sized 50 pieces of new 375 H&H brass. It's amazing how case necks get destroyed sitting in a bag. I'll pull them out of the tumbler in a few hours. They were pretty tarnished as well.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I have gotten into Powder Coat. I coated some 225 Lee boolits and learned several things: Aluminum foil sticks to powder coat paint, It is very difficult to remove shreds of foil from the tiny 225 boolits when they are bonded with powder coat paint, foil shreds and burnt powder coat paint make a mess in your lead pot, 1/4" mesh hardware cloth makes a better boolit holder than aluminum foil and the boolits almost can't help but be beautiful, My wife is not too impressed with loaded cartridges even if they resemble lip stick. What an informative interlude I have had.
    Reynolds makes a non-stick foil that has worked for me.

Boolit Bub
    Deprimed,cleaned,lubed,and sized 185 45-70 cases in the last couple of days. I am gonna fire the pot
    up and cast some 405 grainers later today.

Stared longingly.......

Boolit Master

Fired up the casting pot. Cast about 15lbs of Lee TL358-158-2R, and about 12lbs of
    Lee 358-125-RF.
    Next week I'll load up some 357Mag, and some 9mm.

Boolit Master

Loaded up 100 rounds and chronographed some 38 Special with 358-105-SWC and BE-86 powder.

Boolit Bub
    Processed some 45-70 cases that I had used for black powder loads.

Cheers Mark

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomadman View Post
    Reynolds makes a non-stick foil that has worked for me.
    Aluminum beer cans work for me.

Delete
    Last edited by berksglh; 10-27-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Covered already..

Moderator Emeritus

I've prepping for a large 9mm ammo run. the last time I assembled 9mm was 2014.

I sorted 3k Brass two days ago.

I cast the first of three (or four) batches of boolits yesterday, and setup my Star and honed out my 356 (lathesmith) die to 357...Dang he uses a harder steel (or heat treats?) than Lee does with their bullet size dies. I have a timed process to hone .001 out of a Lee die...It took me four try's to get that lathesmith die .001 larger (and really it's more like .0007 instead of a whole thousandth)...and let me tell you the fourth try was twice as long as the first three trys.

Today, I will cast batch #2 of the Lee 358-125-RF (a batch is typically about 500).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 153 of 604 FirstFirst ... 53103143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163203253 ... LastLast