Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 50 Alaskan handgun loads

In Remembrance
    Even that 50 alaskan would feel small while facing a charging grizzly. lol A guy probably wouldn't notice the recoil either, if could just get it off his skull for a second shot. lol

A 50 AK pistol? I thought the 45/70 was insane.

Boolit Master

You might be surprised about how much less impact the recoil is when moving into a revolver vs shoulder-fired sporting arm.

That goes for the 45/70 class of cartridges. I have no idea what happens in a pistol when you move up to a 50AK or a 378 weatherby

Boolit Mold
    Looks like your post sparked a response on the singleaction.com website. Now Lee Martin decided to post some reload data for the 50 AK. Interesting huh?

In Remembrance
    I can not imagine what a 50 Ak would be like with full power loads. I have wanted and still do a 45/70 bfr for some unknown reason, but the 50 ak just does not excite me. lol
    This post does make me wonder what Dirty Harry would carry these days though, seems like the sky is the limit. lol

Boolit Master

Hey al,

Now that I think about it, what would it take for you to experiment on my behalf, shooting m33 ball bullets, maybe some 850 grian NOE bullets? To give me a sense of whather it's worth sending my BFR in for opening up. Goal would be to shoot those between 900 and 1200 fps and just get a general sense of what 50 yard accuracy *might* be like.

Anyways, what would it take? buy you a pound of IMR4198 (cash equivalent) and send you some bullets and boolits? Something else? Is that something you'd be interested in taking on on my behalf? Sometime next quarter or so.

Banned

Yeah, my friend came today, last doe day. Shot one through the heart and I found where he shot it at. He was off walking. His deer was at the back of my Polaris. I back tracked to the shot point and could not believe how far it went with such a huge blood trail, about 4X farther then my .44. My .475 and JRH drops most deer in their tracks. I lose much less meat then he does too. Last one he got was a mess.

Boolit Mold
    quote : Looks like your post sparked a response on the singleaction.com website. Now Lee Martin decided to post some reload data for the 50 AK. Interesting huh?

I read some of the load data posted on Lee Martin's site. I would love to see some of those actually fired from a BFR ! I am still experimenting with greatly reduced loads and having fun plinking. Today, I shot 19.5 grains of Alliant Blue Dot with dacron filler and the 510 grain LFN plain base bullet. Averaged 1015 FPS. Still prefer the IMR 4198 but shooting 40-50 grains of it makes the supply run out fast.

Banned

I know Lee, we were friends and he and his dad are super gunsmiths. Lee shoots rifles that will put the fear of God in you, need to buy extra shoulders.
    He might have good info for the .50. I still will not shoot smooth Bisley grips. I hate them in a .44 let alone a .50.

Boolit Mold
    I really have to question anyone firing some of the upper end loads he listed from a BFR. I'd have to see it to believe it. Shooting ONE of the Grizzly 525 grain factory loads at the listed 1800 FPS was enough for me to say "way too much" I saw an earlier video of Whitworth's 50 AK DMAX being fired and I can guarantee, it was a much reduced load. The comment "not bad" was legit, it wasn't bad because it was not a factory ballistics 50 AK. The loads I have listed are shootable and I only approach the Hodgdons suggested starting loads for the 525 grain bullet of 52 grains of 4198.

Banned

So true that what we shoot in a revolver would pop eyeballs in a rifle. I would not like a .475 or JRH in a little lever gun. A .50 Alaskan will do all your dental work free.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234