RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 50 Alaskan handgun loads

Boolit Mold

50 Alaskan handgun loads

I have a BFR that was converted to 50 Alaskan by Jack Huntington.The barrel length is 6-3/4"
    and it has an integral muzzle break. After firing the Grizzly 525 grain factory load, I
    decided to work up suitable handgun loads for this gun. It only took about a week for my
    knuckle's swelling to subside. The devit in my forehead will just be a battle scar.(joking)
    Doing a bunch of internet searching netted me nothing so I started with a known
    powder that is used in this caliber. IMR 4198 was my choice and a 510 grain LFN plain base
    bullet at a hardness of about 18 BHN. I know its frowned upon, but I chose to take up the
    "space in the case" with GRITS. Brass was fire formed 348 Winchester trimmed to 2.100"
    Primers were WOLF large rifle.
    These are my results. all are 10 shot group averages with the chronograph at 8' from muzzle.
    Temperature was 58-61 degrees

28.0 grains 4198 = 855 FPS
    30.0 grains 4198 = 940 FPS
    32.0 grains 4198 = 977 FPS
    34.0 grains 4198 = 1060 FPS
    36.0 grains 4198 = 1087 FPS
    38.0 grains 4198 = 1135 FPS
    40.0 grains 4198 = 1183 FPS
    42.0 grains 4198 = 1252 FPS
    44.0 grains 4198 = 1350 FPS
    46.0 grains 4198 = 1407 FPS
    48.0 grains 4198 = 1494 FPS
    50.0 grains 4198 = 1502 FPS
    52.0 grains 4198 = 1556 FPS
    Last edited by al bundy; 12-07-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Jack does great work!

I'm shaking my head at the thought of torching off 52 gr of powder from a 6 3/4" tube, but I'd also be intrigued to see a picture of that event with minimal ambient lighting

Boolit Grand Master
    As a 348 shooter I can not condone this profligate waste of Brass. As a 60 something year old man, I tremble at the thought of having to fire that thing. It would surely kill a grizzly--if you could get him to shoot it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    now thats funny ! Actually the loads with charge weights under 44 grains were not bad at all. The factory Grizzly ammo is not an option! Trail boss is probably a better choice for reduced loads
    Last edited by al bundy; 12-07-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Banned

don't remember the exact loads and mine was a rifle but I had my best luck with re7 in the Alaskan.

Boolit Master
    Actually the loads with charge weights under 44 grains were not bad at all.
    How was the accuracy of the lighter loads?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by al bundy View Post
    now thats funny ! Actually the loads with charge weights under 44 grains were not bad at all. The factory Grizzly ammo is a no no, even one round is a no no ! Trail boss is probably a better choice for reduced loads
    You think factory Grizzly ammo for the 50 Alaskan is a no-no - well, I kinda think the 50 Alaskan in a handgun is a no-no. I occasionally shoot a 500 Linebaugh Max with 525 grain bullets at warp speed and that's about all the felt recoil a guy can "enjoy". Now the Linebaugh Max case length is 1.6" while the 50 Alaskan is 2.2", both 511 diameter - I would think a guy could meet his felt recoil limit well before going the 50 Alaskan route.

Wearing that BFR with a loader cylinder and 5-spare rounds on the belt might call for a heavy duty pair of suspenders to hold up that heavy-duty gun belt.

Groo here
    For a light cast load ,try a full to the base of the bullet load of Trailboss .
    You should see 800fps or so and an easy push.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Groo here
    For a light cast load ,try a full to the base of the bullet load of Trailboss .
    You should see 800fps or so and an easy push.
    Thanks Groo. I plan on using Trailboss soon

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
    You think factory Grizzly ammo for the 50 Alaskan is a no-no - well, I kinda think the 50 Alaskan in a handgun is a no-no. I occasionally shoot a 500 Linebaugh Max with 525 grain bullets at warp speed and that's about all the felt recoil a guy can "enjoy". Now the Linebaugh Max case length is 1.6" while the 50 Alaskan is 2.2", both 511 diameter - I would think a guy could meet his felt recoil limit well before going the 50 Alaskan route.

Wearing that BFR with a loader cylinder and 5-spare rounds on the belt might call for a heavy duty pair of suspenders to hold up that heavy-duty gun belt.
    Yes, I agree. I didnt have this built, I bought it from a guy that shot it 4 times. My choice would have been to have a 500 Max built by Huntington. But this cures the recoil fix for sure. I just wanted to post some results for others that have the 50 AK BFR

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    How was the accuracy of the lighter loads?
    I have not done any accuracy testing yet, just velocity

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    don't remember the exact loads and mine was a rifle but I had my best luck with re7 in the Alaskan.
    Yes LLOYD, I contacted you when I first got this and you gave me some good pointers Thanks again
    Last edited by al bundy; 12-07-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Boolit Master

I wish I could borrow this. I dream of loading 647 grain m33 ball pullets in a case and shooting them via pistol. This would be just the ticket (actually a long cylinder BFR in 500 linebaugh would be, but this would work too), and 4198 would be the perfect powder to do it.

I shoot heavies in a 460 BFR. I think you are on the right track with 4198, H or IMR. 1400 fps sounds like just the right range to be in.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    I wish I could borrow this. I dream of loading 647 grain m33 ball pullets in a case and shooting them via pistol. This would be just the ticket (actually a long cylinder BFR in 500 linebaugh would be, but this would work too), and 4198 would be the perfect powder to do it.

I shoot heavies in a 460 BFR. I think you are on the right track with 4198, H or IMR. 1400 fps sounds like just the right range to be in.
    Thanks for the input Whiterabbit. Yep, 1400 FPS is about right. The 500 Linebaugh MAX in the long framed Ruger would be a better package, but I like this gun. A bit overwhelming when pushed though

Banned

Keep the velocity down. That is the only gun I refused to shoot but it was built on a D max with shiny Bisley grips. Full power loads. Friend could not hold it either and split his head wide open.

Boolit Master

I readily admit that I do not enjoy heavy recoiling long or short guns like I once did. My 480 Ruger Alaskan torques my shooting hand more than enough for me! If offered I would not shoot the beast either. I am just not man enough. But I do like to read about those that can and do.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    I readily admit that I do not enjoy heavy recoiling long or short guns like I once did. My 480 Ruger Alaskan torques my shooting hand more than enough for me! If offered I would not shoot the beast either. I am just not man enough. But I do like to read about those that can and do.
    I'm not a fan of the very heavy recoil either, thats why I wanted to work loads up to a reasonable level

Boolit Master

Here's some interesting info. I have my BFR loadbook open. My BFR is a 460 S&W (read: smaller expansion chamber) and a 10 inch barrel (read: higher expected velocity), here's some interesting data:

My RCBS 500 grain BPCR boolit goes about 1250+ with 29-30 grains of IMR4198. With 31 grains it does about 1350. So, as a "calibration", I'm looking at 2/3rds of the powder you are using.

So, a 590 grain Lead Zeppelin boolit (yes, that's the name of the boolit) goes 1150-1200 fps with 26-28-ish grains of IMR4198 (the load was not clearly documented). So you could shoot a 649 grain m33 to about the same velocity with maybe a 40-ish grain charge. Rough estimate, given m33 ball is 10% heavier. I don't know if you would have to ream the case to thin the walls where the case tension would be to chamber the round, and of course the crimp groove could not be used. It would look rather comical seated to an OAL of 3".

the 740 grain NEI (yes they made a production 700+ grain 45 cal) does about 930 fps with 20 grains of 4198 and the cases just fell out via gravity, no pressure signs. So if you wanted to play with some 750 grain AMAX bullets......

Just sayin'
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 12-07-2014 at 01:55 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Noooooooooo!!!!

Boolit Master

Is that a no of sarcastic anti-enthusiasm born of having a need now to try one or both of those, now that you have some starting data to go after?

Cause I happen to have a bunch of extra m33 ball I'm not gonna ever use......

(For free if you send me a couple dummy rounds, one untrimmed @ 3" and one with the brass trimmed short to end at the cannelure @ 3" OAL)