Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 Hornet rifles

Boolit Master
    I have a 340 "D" in .222. I like the fact that it has a barrel nut like the Savage set up.

Boolit Grand Master

Shooting buddy lucked into one in a Ruger, very nice rifle but a little pricey. Doesn't shoot quite as well as his little single shot but he's working on it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Years ago I got interested in all of the odd calibers, from the 22 hi-power to the 35 Whelen.
    I was just starting my career in the sporting arms industry and it was like being in a candy store with all the different calibers and gear and just plain cool stuff and lots to learn. I became stuck on the interesting and unique shape of the Hornet's case, so I just had to have one. Well one day about a year into my affliction a older Savage came into the store from its original owner who had purchased the rifle back in the 50's, and still had more than half of the box of unfired ammo, boy this was just the situation I knew I needed to have that rifle follow me home. Well it did. I wanted to get it polished up and look as pretty as I could make it even though I was going to spend more money on getting it re crowned, barrel turned so it was as smooth as anything Ruger was turning out and a deep hot salt blueing job on the action and barrel. Shoots great and I just love to pick it up and take it hunting every chance I get.

I recently got a Stevens 322 just like yours except the finish isn't as nice. It has been drilled and tapped, but the holes don't quite work with the Weaver side mount I have for it. Pretty sure I can modify the scope base to work, just need some uninterrupted time to do it.

Since doing some hunting with it, I LOVE my Savage 219, the perfect squirrel stalking rifle. It handles, points and carrys better than any other rifle I own I think. I wanted it to be a .22 rimfire equivalent I could reload for, not a real .22 Hornet. This little Stevens may see some more powerful Hornet loads through it.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Yes, I really love mine too. I would never sell it, and besides, I paid one fifty for it and then I spent another five hundred for all the gunsmithing, don't get me wrong I new what the cost was going to be before I even took the gun in to my gunsmith. I used the same gun smith in Arizona for over thirty years, he was one of the best in the Southwest, he did mention that not all that many were produced with the butter knife bolt handle though.

My Grandpa bought his Savage 340 (can't remember the letter) back in the 50's for $45.00. It's chambered in .22 Hornet. I LOVE THAT RIFLE and ROUND! I've lost count of how many deer it has killed over the years. Not to mention countless groundhogs and other varmits. It is a very accurate rifle, even with the old weaver 3-9 fine cross hairs. My uncle inherited but I still take it out once in awhile. I keep looking for one to pop up for sale. I picked up a 222 in the same model. A very accurate rifle for it's age. These guns are heavy and bulky by todays standards. Yet you can still get great accuray out of them. Finding a .22 hornet for sale around here is like looking for hen teeth. When one does come up for sale it's almopst cheaper to buy a new one.
    As far as newer ones go the Savage walking varimters are great.
    It is better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12