Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
PBcastco Reloading Everything

Thread: RotoMetals Concern......

Boolit Master

RotoMetals Concern......

A few months ago I ordered some 1-20 Alloy from RotoMetals. I've been ordering from them for years and the Alloy has always been first class.

The order I received a few months ago was in a different shape of ingot, segmented, and was a dull frosted color. Not the standard solid bar I always received and a very shinny finish. The alloy I received would simply not cast. It turned to an oatmeal consistency no mater the temperature and the bullets would crumble when tapped with a hammer. They were horrible.

This alloy was replaced by RotoMetals with no issues. They are a wonderful company to deal with.

I just placed another order a few days ago to take advantage of their 10% off Black Friday sale.

The bars showed up today...Segmented and frosty and they were sent from Ohio and not California as usual.

They were not packaged well at all and the box had torn open and the one bar was on the floor of the Fed-Ex truck. Usually the bars arrive in a double box with extra cardboard. I've never had an issue with the packaging. This order was in a single box with little packing tape. I'm amazed all 7 bars made it to my house!

I just hope they haven't started out sourcing their product to some concern in Ohio.

I'm going to try and cast with it to see how it does. Anyone else having the same experience with RotoMetals?

Stay tuned....................
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

It been sometime since i got anything form them . But did not have any problems in the past .It dose not sound good for what you have posted.i hope they are not doing what you hope they are not.Looking to see what you will get for what you got of how it cast.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    that oatmeal description sounds like Zinc.

Boolit Bub
    Considering what they charge, I would not be happy.

Boolit Master
    Before we get all excited, let me cast with it and report back.

RotoMetals is a Class A company. Have always been extremely responsive to any issues i've ever had. And the product has always been superb. This event simply gives me pause that isn't normal for the past orders.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master

If what you are getting is a sample of the products being sent under contract from a third source then Rotometals would probably be very interested to hear from you on your problems and less than pleased themselves
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Boolit Master
    Well...I heated up the furnaces and melted some of the suspect RotoMetals lead and all is well. In fact, all is BETTER than well! The lead cast beautifully! Once again, RotoMetals comes through!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC040002-vi.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	123615

Here are three representative bullets I cast a few minutes ago.

First one is the Lyman 380-681 made specifically for the 38-55 bore that usually runs upwards of .380
    The second one is from an Accurate mold 38-250D that also drops a .379 for use in the 38-55
    The last one is interesting. This is a bullet for the old S&W Model 3 target revolver in 38-44. Lyman 35872RN / 115g. I've been looking for one of these molds for quite some time and finally one popped up on Ebay. I paid royally for it at $72 but I was willing to go as high as $150. It is the one and only mold available for this strange cartridge. (Not to be confused with the 38-44 of the 1930. The predecessor to the 357 Magnum)
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Bub
    Those are very nice. I hope to cast some that nice someday soon.
    Glad RotoMetals came through for you. Being a noob, it helps me (and other newer casters) to know which vendors are reliable and stand behind their products. Thanks for following up.
    Last edited by Horseman1; 12-10-2014 at 12:46 AM. Reason: schpelling and grahmer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman1 View Post
    Those are very nice. I hope to cast some that nice someday soon.
    Glad RotoMetals came through for you. Being a noob, it helps me (and other newer casters) to know which vendors are reliable and stand behind their products. Thanks for following up.

Last edited by Horseman1; Yesterday at 10:46 PM. Reason: schpelling and grahmer
    Glad to see someone concerned about spelling.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Bub
    I have so little experience at this point, all I can add is a bit of entertainment value.
    Last edited by Horseman1; 12-10-2014 at 05:49 PM. Reason: phat phingers

Frosted Boolits

They should probably still be notified about the way it was packaged. Glad to hear that the lead turned out to be OK for you!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    been using Rotometals for Lyman #2 up to this point. decided to jump in and try blending some myself.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...