RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 358 Win collet

Boolit Buddy

358 Win collet

I read, on here somewhere, that you can use a 35 Remington Lee collet neck sizing die on 358 Winchester brass. Well I tried it [several times] and I can't make it work. Is there some trick to it? If someone could please tell me how to make it work I would appreciate it very much. As it is for now I am only 2/3rds neck sizing with a Redding FLS die. Lee wants 70.00 bucks and a six month wait to make one.
    thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Hornady makes a neck sizing die. Midway has it in stock.

Boolit Master
    358 is longer right? Put a washer on the shellholder as a spacer to keep from getting into the shoulder of the case.
    Last edited by texassako; 12-03-2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: to smart phone

Boolit Grand Master
    The correct thickness of washer(s) will do the trick.

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Well, what is the correct thickness of washer(s) that will do the trick please?

Boolit Master
    I am guessing about .065" since I don't work with those cartridges. All it takes is a bit of experimenting with different washers to see how it will size. Break out the calculator and case dimensions to figure the difference of where the neck starts on the 2 if you want an exact number.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lastborn View Post
    I read, on here somewhere, that you can use a 35 Remington Lee collet neck sizing die on 358 Winchester brass. Well I tried it [several times] and I can't make it work. Is there some trick to it? If someone could please tell me how to make it work I would appreciate it very much. As it is for now I am only 2/3rds neck sizing with a Redding FLS die. Lee wants 70.00 bucks and a six month wait to make one.
    thanks
    Well, what is the correct thickness of washer(s) that will do the trick please?

Which one you want to try first , $1.00 worth of washers from the hardware store or the $70 and 6 month wait with Lee ?

Boolit Master

Lastborn - .358 Win. case is 2.015" and .35 Rem. is 1.92" for a difference of 0.095". In the past I've used the same method to size 7.62x54R brass in a .308 Win. collet die. I rummaged around in my "junk box" and found a few large washers and lo and behold I had one that worked fine - I just measured it and it's .0945" thick. Which would also work in your case. To give you a direct answer to your question .095".
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Smoke the case neck then run it into die, keep checking progress until you're happy, or just buy a neck sizing die from Redding, the best die makers out there.

I am going to run into this problem with both the Neck Sizer and Crimp Die when I start loading .35-303.

Since Lee makes both of these for the .303 parent cartridge all I have to do is open the collets on both of these dies, .050. This should work perfectly, or so I hope.

My other option for this cartridge is to open up a .303 Lee Loader body to the larger size which may be the preferable way to go. I know Tim Malcolm did this for his .35-303 wildcat.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Even without smoking a case it is very easy to tell how far down the neck you are sizing, adjust sizing die accordingly, same thing for .35/.303.

Boolit Master

I am getting set up to reload .358 Win. I have the Lee Pacesetter set which does not include a neck sizer.

My options are to buy the Hornady New Dimension (046046) neck sizer or buy a set of Lee dies for .35 Rem to get a collet neck sizer.

Does anyone have experience with both and give me a comparison? $26 for the Hornady, $31 for the Lee which includes a seater die that I don't need.

Any help and comment appreciated.

Boolit Master

Sorry to butt in but why not neck size using your 38 Special or 357 Mag Sizing die??

And if you want to you can use this extension to lift up your sizing die

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...pro_jector.pdf

part number 23

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 01-01-2015 at 11:57 PM.

Boolit Master

Skeettx,

I am glad you 'butted in' with a helpful suggestion. I can see how you could size the neck of a 358 case using a 38 die.

Would this allow you to decap? I can't figure that one out. The Hornady neck sizer and the Lee 35 Rem collet die both decap and size at the same time.

It's always good when knowledge is shared with slower members (like me).

Thanks again.

Boolit Master

No
    You would use the Universal Decapping Die

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90292-Univer...item1e8bef747f

or a proper punch, a hammer, and a nut

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Replacem...item4ada5e2ab3
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

SkeetX wish you had opened your mouth earlier. I bought a set of .358 win dies off Ebay to neck size my .35-303 brass with. I have several sets of 38/.357 dies and it never even crossed my mind that the necks are the same size as 35 cal. rifles. Duh?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Lee lists a collet die for the .358.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Lee lists a collet die for the .358.
    Where? Maybe you are thinking of the FCD? I could use one for a project before altering a .35 Remington neck die.

By the way, there is a permanent solution to altering a .35 Rem die if you have a lathe. Turn off an amount of the collet sleeve top equal to the difference between .35 Rem and the target cartridge, cut the collet in 2 near where it is retained in the body, make a spacer to go between the 2 halves of the collet to match the target case. In short, lengthen the collet to fit the case and shorten the sleeve to fit in the die body. It will not deprime anymore since the mandrel will be to short, but it only costs $13 in parts vs. Lee's custom charge.