RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RUGER fails again

Boolit Buddy
    The last Ruger I bought was a LCP works great and is very accurate for what it is, 1.5" group at 10yds offhand. I have a Ruger 77 in .280. I was shooting it and noticed tht I was getting two groups that were shifting left/right. I found some bad wood in the stock. No real heartburn as bod wood happens. The rifle is a 1.5" gun but it will do it all day everyday with almost any ammo so for a hunting gun its not too bad.

Boolit Grand Master
    My LCP also works. My 44 Special BH is wonderfully accurate. But my Vaquero 45 Bisley had grossly over sized throats, My Single Seven had to have the loading gate opened and the cylinder pin replaced, now this.

For every happy customer, I'm glad you are satisfied.

I am not. I can not, based solely on my experience, recommend Ruger products at this time. Your experience may be altogether different than mine. But if it is not, don't say no one warned you.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

From the 4th till the 9th and your getting a new rifle. Yea, it probably shouldn't have passed inspection and gone out the door. But it does happen. To be getting a new rifle in that short or time frame, I think you done good! It could be a Remington and be gone for months for a trigger job. Try buying a new car now days. Buy the time you make the first payment there is usually a recall or two.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, I'm getting ANOTHER new rifle, another 10 day wait after the gun arrives, another 35 bucks to register it, when 10 minutes with a pull through finish reamer would have fixed the problem. Their customer service is dandy. Too bad that I so often need it.

But I saved 30 bucks--The dealer who agreed to take delivery for me had recently sent a copy of his FFL back to them for another customer with the same problem.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Luckily the 10 day wait should be going away very soon. Kamala has had her 180 day opportunity to change the policy and hasn't done squat.

The new policy will be one background check and 10 day wait and after that You pay and walk with your new gun.

This is the way "Law Abiding Citizens" should be treated.

Sorry about your bad luck on your gun.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by altheating View Post
    Yea, it probably shouldn't have passed inspection and gone out the door.
    Gee you think
    But it does happen.
    It sure as hell shouldn't
    To be getting a new rifle in that short or time frame, I think you done good!
    After all the problem could have been such that your widow might have been sending the lawyers after them instead. I'm pretty sure Ruger can trace back and see who personally was responsible for this and he should be fired, along with his supervisor and his supervisors supervisor. This is absolutely inexcusable. There are a lot of things that can happen in manufacturing firearms. Improper headspace, improper heat treating, un-heat treated parts, missing parts, and the list goes on and on. Proof testing is suppose to be the last step in order to catch things that might make a gun a hazard to the person shooting it. Obviously this one wasn't if it won't chamber a round. I'd really like to know if it had been stamped with the proof mark.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    fouronesix, you have to admit there's quite a bit of snark in "to those who are on the BH and 10/22 koolaid." The insinuation you made there is that Ruger buyers are a bunch of sheep following some leader who is interested in making them drink a Guyana Grape Fizz, and wouldn't know a decent firearm from a poor one.

Those two models are excellent firearms that go bang way, way, way more often than "usually" when the trigger is pulled. "Usually" didn't warrant your use of italics and all the insinuation that carries with it.

You're flailing about a little more than you need to with your ire when you attack other models owned by other individuals. The two you mention qualify as two of the most successful firearms ever made. Having an opinion that's in the minority.....makes it a minority opinion.

Fortunately, firearm manufacturers get it right the vast majority of the time or they would go out of business. The fact that most are still operating indicates they do get it right most of the time.

The time to get riled up is when you deal with customer service. I've had most manufacturers get something wrong at one time or another. The ones that got repeat business were the ones that fessed up to their mistakes, took charge on the repairs, and paid for what they needed to pay for.

Good Luck.
    Nope just my experience with them. They are cheap (erraa inexpsensive). The BH is the least expensive of practically all the single actions. They go bang and are functional. That's about all I can say about them. Tear one apart and ughh- really nothing special. Many have to be worked on to be accurate. They look "cowboyish" so fill the need for that anachronism at a lower price point. The 10-22s are also cheap (errraa inexpensive). They usually go bang but not always. They are usually not all that accurate out of the box. But hey they fill a niche for the kids to rip though a magazine full of ammo in no time- maybe a little rattle battle tactical AR anachronism for the 22rf shooters. The only accurate ones I've shot have had money thrown at them to get them to shoot well and that can be up to $2500!!! So no, Ruger didn't make a mistake in making the BH or 10-22 or (fill in the gun)- they've sold a pazillion of them. They are what they are- filling a large market niche which is inexpensive guns for the masses. Sorry, I still don't worship at the throne of Ruger nor any other brand for that matter.

Human nature is what it is. "I bought it, it's mine- therefore it's the best, most reliable and the most accurate "tack driver" there is".

Boolit Master
    upsetting yes, BUT they are making it right. Come on guys, with the economy, Obama Care and employers not knowing what ding bat regs the oval office will dump on them, buying materials in this messed up world, a lot of anti- gun folk and lawyers looking over your shoulder I am surprised ANY gun manufacterer stays in business or even has vision to get bigger.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    10 Day Waiting Period for a hunting rifle? For any weapon? What the 'H' 'E' Double toothpicks is that? I can go buy any gun of my choosing and take it home that moment. Online background check, and that's all. Did so on Thursday (it was a Ruger M77 Tang Safety .308 Winchester with Heavy Barrel). Done the same with a Sig Sauer 226 and a S&W Shield.

This is my second Ruger M77 Tang Safety rifle. The other one, a 7mm Rem Mag will drive tacks at 200 Yards where I stop being able to do my part. And that's with the sporter barrel.

Gawd I'm glad I don't live on the left coast!

By the way, what's "Gun Registration"?

Sorry, Up hear they take "Live Free or Die" very seriously. Even the Democrats are somewhat right of left...

Boolit Grand Master
    You have my envy. California has had waiting periods for handguns for over 50 years. Rifles and shotguns got added to the wait in the 90's. We have plenty of ignorant lefties who are perfectly willing to inconvenience the lawful on the off-chance that they may someday delay an evil person from behaving badly.

I'm still waiting for a e-mail advising me as to when I will be shipped the replacement...
    Last edited by rintinglen; 12-22-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Many of Ruger's Old Guard have retired and with them went their work ethic and expertise. It doesn't get any more complicated than that.

Boolit Master
    I got 3 lemon Rugers in a row. I was furious. I refused to buy anything Ruger made for at least 10 years. Recently I have picked up a few, and they have ranged from very good, to exceptional. I understand your feelings, I have been there.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    You have my envy. California has had waiting periods for handguns for over 50 years. Rifles and shotguns got added to the wait in the 90's. We have plenty of ignorant lefties who are perfectly willing to inconvenience the lawful on the off-chance that they may someday delay an evil person from behaving badly.

I'm still waiting for a e-mail advising me as to when I will be shipped the replacement...
    I spent two years in Purgatory known as the Santa Clara valley after two years in Colorado (Military career). I was glad of my early release During my sentence in Californis I recall Diane (anything but) Feinstein as one of the San Fran politicos who's extreme leftism left me wonder just who the heck was electing her? And it only got worse!!!

I feel for the rest of the country. The state just to the left of this one (I call it the West Coast - of the Connecticut River) is one of the last places you can see the wild hippie in their natural habitat. Vermont. But surprisingly, they have some of the most liberal gun laws in the nation! Right to carry, no reg., easy background check on purchase, no wait. If it weren't for the hippies, the right and the taxes, I might want to live there. We have a joke about Vermont: what's the difference between a lesbian in Vermont and a Moose? One wears a flannel shirt.

I believe NH strikes a good balance. It's a "Shall Issue" CCW state and the cost is a reasonable $10 for 4 years (for residents). No test, no classes, no nothing except a fairly clean record (not a felon, mental defect (their vocabulary) or a wife beater (my vocabulary)). Nicest part is there is no central registry of who has permits. All records are kept in the issuing office which is the local police or selectmen (town council) office. The actual permit has the distinction of being called "a hall pass" as that is what it resembles. A slip of paper. No picture. Just two signatures. The issuer and mine.

But hey, this is just between us two right? We're trying to keep NH a secret (like no sales or income tax and property taxes about the same as surrounding states).

I also live north of a state with the most draconian gun laws. The only thing they haven't required for a permit is your first born or a hockey player to be named later.

If ya can deal with the snow. Worry about deer and moose and the occasional black bear running in front of your car at dusk and dawn, like cheap Maple Syrup for your Pancakes and don't mind affordable Lobster, New Hampsta ain't a bad place.

Aaa-yup... Don'tcha know!

Banned

I chuckle at guys that think the sun rises and sets on ruger guns. Ive probably had more problems with ruger gun then all others combined. that said I do own more rugers but not in any proportion to the problems I had. that and finding a 77 that is moa accurate is about like finding a needle in a haystack.

there a good looking rifle and that's probably why I keep trying. Luckily im not one that falls in love with a gun and if they don't shoot they just go out the door and another one replaces it. Ive probably owned two dozen 77s through the years and have had exactly one. An old tang safety 280 that was a moa gun. Id bet 3/4s of the rem 700, model 70 Winchesters and 110 savages ive owned shoot moa or better. Its about to the point with me that if I hear someone bragging that he owns a 77 I about know im not talking to a true rifleman that knows what accuracy even is or cares. Now ruger comes out with the American that hands down outshoots there higher priced 77s. Sorry but that just doesn't make sense. Why put all that research into making a cheap gun shoot and ignore gun that made them famous. Again I think its because they know theres enough guys out there that drink the koolaid and buy them whether they shoot or not.

I once had a 257 Roberts lightweight. It shot 3 inch groups!! and that was with its better loads. I sent it back to ruger and they returned it with a 2 inch 50 yard 3 shot group and said that the gun met there accuracy standards. I could out shoot it with a good many handguns in the safe with open sights. Sorry but one guy here doesn't have blinders on.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I hear ya Lloyd ...... but you do remember Remington's little foray with the model 788 dontcha?
    You also remember how that turned out for the 788 he he he

After getting several dogs from any company I stop looking at their products and start looking elsewhere . It might be different if I could get all of my money back but we know how used gun buyers are .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Luckily the 10 day wait should be going away very soon. Kamala has had her 180 day opportunity to change the policy and hasn't done squat.

The new policy will be one background check and 10 day wait and after that You pay and walk with your new gun.

This is the way "Law Abiding Citizens" should be treated.

Sorry about your bad luck on your gun.

Randy
    I beg to differ as it is not the way a law abiding citizen should be treated. A citizen should never be forced to prove his innocence in order to exercise rights. The State has the obligation of proving the citizen's guilt if a crime is committed. That a person might be evil at heart or have evil intent should have no bearing upon their ability to purchase any appliance if we, as a nation, are to maintain the concept of "innocent until proven guilty."

Banned
    rintinglen - I completely understand your frustration and you have every right to be frustrated. There's nothing I can say that will ease that disappointment and I think you're being reasonable. You do have some additional factors that make your experience tougher to deal with, primarily the fact that you live in a liberal state with a lack of friendly gun laws.

Ruger let a bad rifle out the door. It would have been better if they caught that bad product before it left the factory but that's water under the bridge now. They did the next best thing they could do, they offered a replacement rifle.

I've owned a lot of Ruger products over the years and I have a favorable attitude towards that company. Some of that favorable attitude comes from the generally good quality and value of their products, some of it comes from their customer service and some comes from the fact that they didn't cave to the liberal idiocy like S&W did. I will say that their track record with rifles (Mini 14 and M77 in particular) is not as strong as their record with handguns and shotguns. I also think that the Ruger American was designed to hit a price point that is a bit too low. I understand the absolute need to be competitive and they must make a profit on the item to survive but I just don't think the American is going to make it in light of the competition.

The Savage 110 was a classic example of using good engineering and design to hit a price point that was competitive in its field. The ability for Savage to assemble the barrel to the receiver and achieve the proper head spacing in one quick step allowed them to produce a rifle that was less expensive than say a Remington 700. You can debate the quality and features of those two rifles but there's no disputing that the Savage design left more room for profit.

It appears to me that Ruger attempted the same type of cost cutting with the American that Savage did with the 110 but Ruger didn't really pull it off well.

Boolit Master
    May I say that the apparent QC issues with all of the aforementioned firearms are getting made by old coots who, having been raised on Remingtons, Rugers, Winchesters, and others that used to be made to high standards, are now seeing the results of lowered QC and standards which in turn keep operational costs low. If you are not willing to pay the price for higher quality, and we aren't, then we must accept this lesser quality stuff. All the boards are abuzz about the QC with Ruger lately and I too have experienced it. It IS frustrating to see the quality flagging, and flagging it is. All the gun manufacturers are experiencing it. We can't ignore it, it really is there. All the manufactures are making attempts to placate the consumer but I must ask myself if the general consumer actually can see the QC drop from guns made 50 years ago by craftsmen and trained machinists.

In Remembrance
    Ruger didn't cave like S and W?????

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Ruger didn't cave like S and W?????

Bull on that...Do you not remember Bill Ruger trying to help pass the mag ban in order to protect his interest.

You are correct...Ruger did not cave...they just swapped sides.

I like Ruger single actions...but Bill Ruger was not one of my heroes.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast