WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: RUGER fails again

Boolit Grand Master

RUGER fails again

I am so angry I could spit. My 308 Ruger American won't chamber a factory 308 round. It would seem as though they installed a short chambered barrel and never got around to finish reaming the chamber. Ruger QC seems to be non-existent at this point. I just got my Single Seven back from having it repaired. Last year I had to send in my New Vaquero. Right now Ruger is batting .400 with me. 3 of the last five Rugers that I have purchased have been defective. This one takes the cake.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Boy that does take the cake. I can understand your frustration. What you describe is so unlike Ruger quality and I hope their customer service is really good as it usually is. Keep us informed. I know they have been blowing the doors off with sales going through the roof. I hate to think the hurry hurry rush rush is making them slack off on quality control.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

your not the only one who feels that way. im a long time ruger fan, but i wont buy another.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Awww .... c'mon fellas , haven't you ever heard the Ruger is the best factory assembled do-it-yourself kit for the money ? (though some Savage rifles may be trying for the title )

I'm sorry to hear of your problem though I hope they fix it rather than send the letter that says " It is within our specifications .......... "

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Vendor Sponsor

How did they test fire it? Drop powder down the barrel?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    It can happen to most any manufacturer- but I've not been a Ruger fan for a long time. The latest interation of cheap bolt guns by several manufacturers is bound to yield some QC problems. I was a naive optimist at a younger age back in the late 70s. Had it happen twice with Ruger 77s. First one had an off center reamed chamber with a short neck- grossly over pressured even mild loads. Forget any kind of accuracy. A couple of years later, still a young naive optimist, bought another new 77. The chamber neck was at least 50 thou too large so accuracy was minute of target backer. Fool me once…. errrra, fool me once- two different times.

Haven't owned a Ruger bolt gun since. Have owned a couple of used cheepos since- one a Ruger BH single action- nothing to write home about. Ditto for one 10-22. Sold both to those who are on the Ruger BH and 10-22 koolaid.

Boolit Master
    Then on the other hand, -------------

I have a house full of RUGERS and it is the direction I look first.

Been that way since the very early 60s.

Sorry for problems, but they are not typical of RUGER.

I have 5 RUGER rifles and all are excellent and half a dozen + short pieces. All get B+ or better. Some would get A++.

Then again, when to dinner with another couple a few times way back, and Marge ALWAYS found fault with something.

NOT inferring that you are a, "Marge" but I know some folk that are.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Banned

" Sold both to those who are on the Ruger BH and 10-22 koolaid."

Ruger really blew it with the Blackhawk and 10-22. Not. You are trolling or kidding, right?

Boolit Grand Master

A couple of years ago a buddy went on a horse back Elk hunt. It was a half day ride into base camp. He purchased two boxes of premium ammo (8mm Rem. Mag.). He sighted in with the part of the first box. He only took the second full box with on the horse. When he got to base camp he went to load the rifle. The second box would not chamber. He had to go back to get the partial box he left in the truck. Not a happy camper. In his case it was an ammo issue with the second box.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    A couple of years ago a buddy went on a horse back Elk hunt. It was a half day ride into base camp. He purchased two boxes of premium ammo (8mm Rem. Mag.). He sighted in with the part of the first box. He only took the second full box with on the horse. When he got to base camp he went to load the rifle. The second box would not chamber. He had to go back to get the partial box he left in the truck. Not a happy camper. In his case it was an ammo issue with the second box.

Your buddy here in this case violated the primary rule about hunting...try cycling all ammunition you plan on taking on a hunt through your rifle first. Doesn`t matter if it was store bought or handloads, first try running them through your firearm.Robert

Boolit Master
    I have I think 18 Rugers at the moment 16 are #1's and only two of those were made even remotely recent . The other two are a 44R carbine from the mid 70's and Single Six from the very early 60's. I have no problems with any of them and would actually consider a new #1 if they chambered it for something I really wanted . As to the rest of their products , it just ain't happening for me .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    " Sold both to those who are on the Ruger BH and 10-22 koolaid."

Ruger really blew it with the Blackhawk and 10-22. Not. You are trolling or kidding, right?
    Did I say Ruger really blew it with those two models?? Don't fill in words that weren't posted.

After all, Ruger sells a pazillion of them to the masses. They are relatively cheap guns that usually go bang when the trigger is pulled. I don't worship at the throne of Ruger.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not anti-Ruger, but I will definitely declare their QC is for **** these days. I have been buying them for decades and generally have had no problems and have had a dozen or more over the years. But three of the last five ended up going back to the factory. I bought a Single Seven that ended up going back to the factory just last month. A new Vaquero went back last year for cylinder throat issues. I'm not a cry baby-Minor stuff I'll cheerfully take care of, I stoned out the loading gate on the single seven to fix that problem. But these problems, guns that you can't even load, base pin pulling out every third shot, sheesh. I got an RMA so the American is going back. FWIW, it would not chamber any of the 3 types of Ammo I had, factory Federal, 7.62 LC, or handloads. But it will chamber a dummy round--of 300 savage. To quote the Wicked Witch, what a world.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger American in 308. It has been fed nothing but handloads so I can't say if it will chamber factory ammo or not. I will say that my first attempts to load ammo would not chamber after full length sizing, this with once fired brass from another rifle. I set my sizing die so that the press would "cam over" and still they would not chamber. I had to mill off a few thousanths from my shell holder to get the case sized enough to chamber. I blamed this on my use of the brass originally fired in a different rifle by your experience has me thinking otherwise now.

Boolit Master
    Although not common, it does happen that brass will not fit a given chamber.

If dealing with RCBS, send then the sizing die, three cases - as I recall - fired in the problem chamber and un-sized and RCBS will return to you a die that will size the brass for that chamber.

It is FAR more common for dies to over size brass.

They don't care what the firearms brand is. It happens.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master
    fouronesix, you have to admit there's quite a bit of snark in "to those who are on the BH and 10/22 koolaid." The insinuation you made there is that Ruger buyers are a bunch of sheep following some leader who is interested in making them drink a Guyana Grape Fizz, and wouldn't know a decent firearm from a poor one.

Those two models are excellent firearms that go bang way, way, way more often than "usually" when the trigger is pulled. "Usually" didn't warrant your use of italics and all the insinuation that carries with it.

You're flailing about a little more than you need to with your ire when you attack other models owned by other individuals. The two you mention qualify as two of the most successful firearms ever made. Having an opinion that's in the minority.....makes it a minority opinion.

Fortunately, firearm manufacturers get it right the vast majority of the time or they would go out of business. The fact that most are still operating indicates they do get it right most of the time.

The time to get riled up is when you deal with customer service. I've had most manufacturers get something wrong at one time or another. The ones that got repeat business were the ones that fessed up to their mistakes, took charge on the repairs, and paid for what they needed to pay for.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by 35remington; 12-03-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    I own two 10-22s, a rifle and a carbine, manufactured about twenty years apart. Overall quality and reliability have been great. I'd buy another... except that I just don't need a third.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Well said 35 Remington!

CDOC

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    My pal bought one of the new 77/44 models the other day . It LOOKED really nice but the proof is in the shooting . Attractive wood to metal fit looked ok , I haven't bought a new Ruger in years but if it would have been left handed ......... I got good Rugers and have had bum ones , just enough to keep me cautious . I will be interested to see how my pals new stubby forty-four does .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I've had a brand new Browning Citori that wouldn't go bang and a Mark X action that wouldn't chamber rounds. Having worked in manufacturing for 40 years, it happens. But I consider my four Ruger BH's to be the most dependable of all.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast