Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RUGER fails again

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

any update?
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Why yes indeed, I just yesterday got a phone call from my gun shop that my Ruger had come in. I went by and filled out the paper work--and forked over another 55 bucks--and in 10 days I should have the new gun. There is no target in the box, which had been promised, but at least I could close the bolt on a dummy round. I'll send them copies of my receipts and see if I can get reimbursed for the DROS fee.

Annoyance number 7: in the intervening 6 weeks since they first said they'd have to send me another gun, a new law here in California Requiring a "Firearms Safety Certificate" for all firearms acquisitions went into effect. Net effect: plus 25.00 to price. Life gets better and better...
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

A 10 day waiting period too? Thank God I live in Texas.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    My recent Ruger purchases are a 375H&H No1 (2013 No1 Tropical chambering), a Light Sporter No1 in 303British, an American Compact in 223 and an American Rimfire in 22LR and a pair of Ruger Old Army 5.5" revolvers.

the 375 is great, no problems, very accurate with factory ammo,
    the 303 is ok apart from the stock timber being proud of the receiver on one side and so far ordinary accuracy, but only factory ammo used so far. The bore slugged at 0.313" which doesn't impress me greatly.

The Compact would not feed rounds from the magazine until I left the mag loaded for a few weeks and stretched the lips a tad. It works like a dream now and does 1/2" - 3/4" with good factory ammo.

The American Rimfire is fine, very accurate and I am very happy with it.

The ROAs were assembled by some gorilla who was too lazy to change screwdrivers and on the big screws if you look closely, there are marks made by using the small screwdriver, Lazy P*****. One works beautifully, one locked up when I first went to cock it and several gunsmiths have looked at it and can't figure out what is wrong. One reassembled it and it worked for awhile, but then locked up again. It is in the safe at the moment, where it has been for the last year or so, I've given up on it. I bought the guns to use in Western Action, but that is not going to happen.

It should be a simple matter to re set the barrel as they have a Savage style nut, I'm thinking.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Rugers I think the ones I have had a chance to use are all made in the 1980's and before. Don't like any of the new stuff they are offering, I have a few of their pistols again old vintage stuff. Always wanted a bearcat 22 rf found one last year in ss and I garbed it. I find that most of my purchases are for old stuff anymore. Yes I still buy new in some manufacture, springfield, remmington, kimber, sig sauer, they are all pistols, then in rifles I have springfields, jap chester, universal, then there are shotguns and I don't remember who made them, I just like how they fit me.
    As to being sold that one and only one firearm company can meet all my needs, never will happen, I like to many different platforms if you will of firearms, ranging from bp all the way up to modern stuff.

Hope you remember to take a blank round with you when your new rifle comes in to make sure it in fact will chamber the correct cartridge
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Our firearms registration set up here is a pita, but obviously better in some regards than the above set up. I had a Savage BMag replaced under warranty. I walked into the shop one day for a look and they dropped the box on the counter. I asked what I had to fo for the paperwork and they said 'nothing, we just ring the registry and then they will post you a new registration certificate. I took it home straight away.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 02-01-2015 at 09:09 AM.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, I have my replacement and it will chamber a 308. I am working this weekend, but Thursday I hope to be able to give it a trial run. I just hope that after all this, it shoots well. I am disappointed in that I was promised a target with the return of my firearm, but since this is a different gun, I guess that Ruger thought there was no need to test fire it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Star Wars story*

In 1981 I had a cranial-rectal inversion**, that eventually required a plastiotamy***.

I bought a Wby in 300 Wby brand new in the box at a local sporting goods store. I took it home, mounted and bore sighted a scope, and headed for the range the next morning. I went thru two boxes of Wby ammunition and not ONE! stinking round would even begin to chamber. A day or two later I get back to Boise, and go see the gunsmith at Purcell's. He looks thru the barrel and starts laughing like a drunk hyena. Despite a target in the box showing a 3-shot group under 5/8ths inch at 100yds, the barrel had not been chambered. A call to Wby, and they, after half an hour of denial and BS, request that I send the rifle back at my expense to be "examined to determine the issue...".
    I got lucky. Elgin Gates had moved to the Idaho Falls (iirc) area the year before. He came downstairs to the gun shop section and overheard the conversation. Some of you may know Gates as one of the founding fathers of IHMSA. Also likely the best collection of Wby's in the world, outside of the Shah of Iran's. He asks to see the rifle, sees that there was not any chamber cut, and offers to buy the rifle from me. In the rack was a like-new Old Model 70 in 300 H&H. He offered to buy that rifle and trade me straight up. In a heartbeat...

I'll put that up against any other screw up by any other manufacturer ever...

*Star Wars: "long ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

**Cranial-rectal-Inversion, that's where you have your head up your A__ so far you can't see.

*** Plastiotimy, that's where they cut a 10" square section out of the front of your tummy so you can see prior to having C-R-I corrective surgery.

Boolit Master
    Makes you wonder then if they even test fire rifles at the factory then. Yea they provide a target showing they did, but obviously if they hadnt even cut the chamber, then just as obviously they hadnt fired that rifle at any sort of target. Sort of implies they just have a stack of targets with random groups on them.

Yes mistakes are made, but even basic QC should catch something like a rifle with no chamber. Or is even rudimentary QC been tossed aside to save a little money. Bought a barrel for my glock, looked around at reviews, some say buy something better than lone wolf, but didnt see a pile of reviews saying their junk. They gave me a bit of a run around at first, did you try this, did you try that, what kind of ammo? Yes I know some would just get mad and start complaining, but yea I tried my various mags, and different types of ammo, everything jammed in it. Chambers and fires, when its not jamming them into the feed ramp. Says polished feed ramp when you buy it, must be some new type of polishing that doesnt look like polishing. I am debating about just polishing the ramp and getting on with my life, or the 4 week wait they said to send it back and they do whatever they do. Has soured me a bit on their barrels now.

Some lazy chump not test firing the guns and using old left over targets I suppose. Probably stealing the ammo as well.

Boolit Master

Well rintinglen I bought a Ruger American in 308 this past Sunday. I am having the exact same problem you are having. Except I'm noticing the pick up is of even. If I cycle the bolt very slow then the pick up happens as it should, normal speed not happening.
    So I called Ruger yesterday, the woman I talked to, iirc it was this angela brown also, was a real treat to deal with. Said she'd send me shipping label via email...... Been 24hrs.... still waiting.
    Now one thing about my rifle I did have it close on a round 2xs. But it was a lot of fiddling and very hard to close. I thought last night at work it might require a sb sizer, but I don't have one in 308. What I'm going to do is take 2 dummy rounds into rural king where I bought it and try them in the display gun and see if they cycle or not. Luckily I know the guys who work the counter so I'll be able to try them.
    I'm really disappointed in Ruger on this rifle. I bought the American in 22lr last spring... It's a track driver and for the money I was impressed.

I bought a 10/22 just before the trigger guard went plastic. Bore and chamber were too loose. Had no accuracy at all! Like, 12 MOA. All that's left of it now is just the receiver, and it's a tack-driver. Can't quite still call it a Ruger 10/22.

I've had nothing but superb guns from Ruger....going back 55 years now and that includes over a dozen hand guns of one sort or another. Two experiences with their customer service over the years were likewise excellent. They're a first rate company and have been since day one. If you need help with a product, contact with their customer service people in a civil manner and treat them as you would have them treat one of your family...it's always worked for me. Persistence helps too, if it's not right, again, in a civil manner ask for their help....Rod

Boolit Master
    I have 2 Ruger handguns, and to tell you the truth, I hate Rugers. I know I have expelled the enjoyment of shooting my new Lipseys .44, however, it went back to Ruger on Wednesday. Couldn't load it. the loading gate just locked up everything, and if you would jack the hammer, it would settle down and function like it was supposed to..........ain't putting up with that . I got an email tonight telling me it will be back here next Wednesday. We will see.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Banned
    I recently got a Ruger Mark III (Standard, 6" barrel), and I could not be happier. The workmanship is amazing, it's absolutely beautiful, and it shoots like a dream.

Boolit Grand Master
    It has taken me far longer than I thought, but I finally got a chance to run a few rounds through my Ruger. This second one is a keeper. It functions well with my reloads or with factory loads and after sighting in, I got a three shot 1.125" group. Even if I can't get it to shoot better than that--and I am pretty sure that I can-- that is good enough for me. I am still out 55 more dollars than I ought to be, but I have a gun that goes bang and hits where its pointed.
    It will be a while before I buy another Ruger, but I can see why folks got excited over these.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Good to see you got one that works finally . I'm with you, it will be a long time before I take a chance on another and I'll want to test fire it first .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you got it back and everything is working properly. I can tell you I'm not to happy w/ a new SP101 in 327 Federal. Barrel has nicks in it. There are burrs on the forcing cone, top strap and over 50% of the other edges. The finish is horrendous. Seems that they didn't attempt to polish it at all. I doubt I will purchase another new Ruger from Gunbroker again. Their lack of quality control is quite staggering. If you follow threads on the Ruger specific boards you will see how common the issues are.

Vendor Sponsor

Bought a Sr22 with threaded barrel right at Christmas .. Something to take my mind off fathers death ..didn't work too much estate issues to deal with
    Finally shot it in March with rear sight all the way to the right (1/2 of the right dot covered by sight frame) it shot 2" left at 7 YDS
    called them . They said Box up just the gun and 1 mag...they issued a call tag 10 days later I get an email they are replacing the gun.. Great 2 days later I get a new gun, 3 mags, another thread adapter, thread protector, wrench, several more back straps and a test target fired before boxing
    This one shoots like a dream.. eats any ammo I run thru it, from cheap win dynapoint to federal target
    You can get a bad anything its how the company handles it and in this case Ruger went above and beyond to fix the issue
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post

You can get a bad anything its how the company handles it and in this case Ruger went above and beyond to fix the issue

The fly in the ointment is not that their service is bad, but rather, how often you need it. A little quality control would go a long ways towards keeping Angela Brown from being a household name.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast