WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It may hurt, but I'm going progressive.

It may hurt, but I'm going progressive.

I'm thinking of buying a Lee pro 1000 in 45acp. Like some die sets I bought before, if you buy them the gun will come eventually. I reload a lot of 9mm, and was wondering what's involved in changing from .45acp to 9mm on the 1000. I have the dies, and take it I'll need a shell plate. What else would be required?
    Bring the smoke!

You'll need the small primer chute and pin. Theres a kit for the pro1000 with both init IIRC. You need a small shell slider, and you need an unbent Z-bar. You can get all this at titanreloading.com. Total cost there is probably $25. I got this info from the back page of the instruction sheet. You can get the instruction pdf from Lee Precision website, its a free download.

Banned

For what it worth to you, l would buy a dillon 550b for a lil'more.

Boolit Master

I'd say go for the 550B or the square deal.

gmsharps

Banned

The 550 is not a little more. It is twice as much for a BL550, which is less than the models being suggested. Lot of people run Lee progressives. If you are mechanically inclined, it can make sense.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    you get what you pay for.

Boolit Buddy
    For pistol, I only load 45 ACP & 9mm. I use a Dillon Square Deal. Bought the press used in 9mm IIRC and got caliber change kit for 45ACP.

Total - $365

Boolit Master
    MDR8088,

If you are on FB come and visit our page Lee Reloading and Casting Group over 7000 members most of whom use Lee equipment. We have many members that run 3 or more Pro-1000's and one gentleman that runs more then 5 Load Masters on his bench!

If you choose to go the Pro-1000 route, I suggest watching Cowboy T's San Francisco's liberal with a gun Pro-1000 video's on You-tube. they are about the most complete tutorial's on the Pro-1000 around.

I myself own 2 Pro-1000's, and an original 1992 Load-Master purchased new in 92!

The Pro-1000 can be purchased from titian Reloading for $160.00 complete ready to load one caliber!!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Master
    MDR if you plan on loading just 9 and 45 for a while look for the small primer 45s. several sell them here. will save you some cost for the primer assy. you will need the shell plate and the shell pusher

Boolit Man
    Most 45 acp use large pistol primers. I have a Lee and it works fine. I can load about 200 an hr. You will have to set setter die up diff. than it comes. Make sure that you don't put to much crimp on them cause they will not chamber, We have three of the Lees.

I've bought ammo before for a gun I didn't have. Just pushes me to take the dive to buy it. That's what I did with my 45-70.

There was a Loadmaster in the Swappin & Sellin section. It is a little stronger built than the Pro 1000.

I just went Progressive with the black friday deal from Midsouth Shooters Supply so I understand what you mean by it's going to hurt!
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Mold
    Ive had a Lee Pro 1000 and a Dillon 650. Ive used a 550 and square deal. You can't go wrong with Dillon. Its more of an investment. The lee will sell for 50% of what you paid for it while the Dillons will sell for 75-80 %.
    Last edited by nrdewalt; 12-02-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nrdewalt View Post
    Ive had a Lee Pro 1000 and a Dillon 650. Ive used a 550 and square deal. You can't go wrong with Dillon. Its more of an investment. The lee will sell for 25% of what you paid for it while the Dillons will sell for 75-80 %.
    That's funny, I've owned every brand of equipment out there and I've never sold any of it for less than about 80% of it's retail value at the time I sold it, including the Lee brand stuff.

Boolit Mold
    I guess I should add that I sold my Lee after loading a ton of ammo on it. Loading for two people who were shooting competition for a few years. It was pretty rough by the time I upgraded to my 650 and it needed some parts replaced. The great thing about the 650 is when it needs new parts all it takes is a phone call (warranty.)

Yea, most used reloading equipment sells not too far off retail (provided it's in decent shape) from what I have seen and I have been watching for used presses a lot lately.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Master
    I have a pro 1000 that I have never set up.

I bought it for a song in a package deal where I made money by selling SOME of the other tools.

Now there I sat researching what I now owned.

I also spoke to fellow that sold me the stuff.

He told me the reason he was selling the pro was that he'd bulged a barrel on a S&W revolver and had to have Smith rebarrel it for him.

After my research, I bought a LNL.

If I was going to do anything "Lee" progressive it would be with the Loadmaster.

If it ain't got powder check potential .... it's not a progressive in my opinion.

The Pro "ain't" ...... the Loadmaster .... yes.

I may use the Pro ...... but it will be a "half" progressive ......... run the brass through the size and bell ....... maybe even prime off press ..... then charge, CHECK and seat on the second trip over the unit.

Three 44s

Boolit Bub
    The Dillon is probably a great piece of equipment. For the money, it should be.
    Like has been mentioned above, you can get the Pro 1000 for around $160-170 ready to load.
    I happen to have four of the Pro 1000's and all work just fine for my use. I have dedicated ones for both 40s&w and 45acp. and swap back and forth with a 38/357 on and a 44spl/44mag one.
    One thing that I change immediately is the chain for the powder measure. I use a spring from Lowes of the appropriate length. I think its 3.25 x 1/4 x .025 comes in a multipack from the hardware section. saves ripping it apart or jamming it under the turret.
    I use mine as a semi progressive, one round start to finish, mainly due to a lack of sturdy support. I'm in an apartment, so I load off a harbor freight version of a workmate.
    I've had both examples, if you will. I had to tweak a used one that I bought, and one of the ones I bought new. The other two have run perfectly since day one. So far, all are on the original
    from Lee parts, nothing has broken. The 45 press has seem about 10K rounds made so far from me (bought used), the 38/357 has seen close to that. and the 40 and 44 have about 3K and 500
    respectively.
    They may not have the cult following of the Dillons or RCBS, but they can still make an accurate round.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdr8088 View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a Lee pro 1000 in 45acp. Like some die sets I bought before, if you buy them the gun will come eventually. I reload a lot of 9mm, and was wondering what's involved in changing from .45acp to 9mm on the 1000. I have the dies, and take it I'll need a shell plate. What else would be required?
    You REALLY need to re-think this and go Blue. Aluminum lasts a lot longer than pot metal.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.