Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70 pistol powder load hammers like a MULE!

Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Thanks to this thread I just bought some IMR 3031 today for my own 45-70 loads (H&R Handi rifle). Based on what I can see on QuickLOAD the pressure curve is lower and more "spread" with IMR 3031 out than the H4198 and Lil'Gun that I was trying earlier. Looks like IMR 3031 is definitely a great powder for the mighty 45-70. Definitely looking forward to trying it very soon
    The 3031 really was an easy push in my test along with BL-C2, H4227. I found an easy way to tame the recoil by filling the butt stock with lead shot from 20 12 gauge shells also. Let alone putting a scope on it and a bi-pod. Just food for thought.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by karlrudin View Post
    The 3031 really was an easy push in my test along with BL-C2, H4227. I found an easy way to tame the recoil by filling the butt stock with lead shot from 20 12 gauge shells also. Let alone putting a scope on it and a bi-pod. Just food for thought.
    I tried a load with 3031 yesterday (Sun) at the range, and although the recoil was strong, it really pushed me back hard - rather than the sharper hit from the other powders. Definitely prefer 3031 for a "hunting" load.

My handy has a mercury recoil reducer in the stock which does help a little as well

Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    I tried a load with 3031 yesterday (Sun) at the range, and although the recoil was strong, it really pushed me back hard - rather than the sharper hit from the other powders. Definitely prefer 3031 for a "hunting" load.

My handy has a mercury recoil reducer in the stock which does help a little as well
    Yeah, I agree with the loads out of the book or from the Hogdon website. Except mine were loaded with only 30 grains of either powder

Anyone have any ideas about using BL-C2. Got plenty of this also.
    Yes I do, I am shooting 46 grs. of BL-C2 under a 460gr WFN cast, my chrony tells me it is running between 1400 and 1425 in a five shot string. My rifle (1895 classic) weighs 7.5 lbs plus another half pound of ammo and the recoil is pushy, not snappy. I found that the starter loads I was using of 42 grs. was a little dirty, leaving unburned powder. As I stepped up the charge and pressure the burn became much cleaner.

I may attempt to go for the 1500fps mark, but recoil will determine that. At 1400fps, the 460 gr boolit will stop any animal I will encounter in my neck of the woods, no grizz here, but I wouldn't fear to use them against him in an emergency.

Boolit Buddy
    Benchmark is my go to for the 45/70 and 50 ak.

Boolit Buddy

I've discovered that using a magnum rifle primer when loading IMR 3031 results in less velocity spreads, smaller groups and less fouling in the barrel.

CPL Lou

Boolit Master
    Adding weight and slower powders can help some, but felt recoil can be increased or decreased by stock design. The wrong stock dimensions can easily increase felt recoil by 1/2. A nice straight stock preferably with cheek piece and with a wide buttplate or pad helps decrease felt recoil. You didn't say if you are shooting off a bench, but leaning into the gun can also increase felt recoil. If you're using a bench, get the gun up higher so you can sit more vertical.
    I'm pretty recoil-proof, but the worst kicking gun I ever shot was a 12 ga 3" magnum H&R single shot, while patterning it off a bench. One time was enough for me.

70 grains Goex FFg compressed 0.28 inch, cardboard wad, newspaper disk and shoot. Easy/Peezie. Or, you can use something in the neighborhood of 23 to 24.5 grains of 4759 or 5744 under that 405 grain bullet. Play with using large pistol primers versus large rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by claude View Post
    Yes I do, I am shooting 46 grs. of BL-C2 under a 460gr WFN cast, my chrony tells me it is running between 1400 and 1425 in a five shot string. My rifle (1895 classic) weighs 7.5 lbs plus another half pound of ammo and the recoil is pushy, not snappy. I found that the starter loads I was using of 42 grs. was a little dirty, leaving unburned powder. As I stepped up the charge and pressure the burn became much cleaner.

I may attempt to go for the 1500fps mark, but recoil will determine that. At 1400fps, the 460 gr boolit will stop any animal I will encounter in my neck of the woods, no grizz here, but I wouldn't fear to use them against him in an emergency.
    I did end up trying BL-C2 also but nowhere near your range. I'm using a Lee 405(weighs out at 416) and 29 grains of BL-C2. Grouped at 1" at 50 yards and can shoot them all day. I to had the problem of unburt powder, but not enough to worry about. I will try Magnum primers and adjust the load. Might try some filler, but haven't tried that trick yet.

Quote Originally Posted by quack1 View Post
    Adding weight and slower powders can help some, but felt recoil can be increased or decreased by stock design. The wrong stock dimensions can easily increase felt recoil by 1/2. A nice straight stock preferably with cheek piece and with a wide buttplate or pad helps decrease felt recoil. You didn't say if you are shooting off a bench, but leaning into the gun can also increase felt recoil. If you're using a bench, get the gun up higher so you can sit more vertical.
    I'm pretty recoil-proof, but the worst kicking gun I ever shot was a 12 ga 3" magnum H&R single shot, while patterning it off a bench. One time was enough for me.

I did add some lead shot in the butt stock to add some weight to a 7 lb gun, which is a ridiculous weight to me. Added a Caldwell bi-pod, left the recoil pad on that came with it and then added a slip on pad also. Rifle should be weighing in about 9.5-10 lbs now. Also I only shoot off the bench cause I'm only shooting at paper. I had forgotten about what you said about leaning into a rifle and I will elevate the bi-pod some more to get into a more vertical position. And yes mine is a Handi-Rifle and my first shootings of it were brutal. On par with a light weight 300 Winmag. I'm just so used to leaning into my other rifle(7-08 with cast bullets and it weighs 13.5 lbs) that I had forgotten how much a rifle can hurt when sitting wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    70 grains Goex FFg compressed 0.28 inch, cardboard wad, newspaper disk and shoot. Easy/Peezie. Or, you can use something in the neighborhood of 23 to 24.5 grains of 4759 or 5744 under that 405 grain bullet. Play with using large pistol primers versus large rifle.

I have NO experience of working with almighty black or its alternatives. Love to watch them fire and love the smell. I might get to that sooner or later. Maybe when I get done with a can of nitro. I did end up trying H4227 because I had it on hand and it worked out well along with 3031.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12