Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Chance to purchase Great western 45 colt.

Chance to purchase Great western 45 colt.

I have a chance to purchase a great western 5.5" blued black grips 45 colt caliber like new unfired in original box and papers the old colt style with the firing pin on the hammer for $400.00 question is is it worth that much money? Thanks for any help. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    I have no idea... But here's a link to someone who claims to be an authority on them: http://greatwesternarmsco.com
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned
    I guess I am going to claim to be an authority on the subject because my Dad had one. After Dad passed on the gun went to my brother who enjoyed it and then he gave it to me after it broke. I have a thread on the gun where I fit a new bolt and got the gun running again.

The gun was in the 100-150 range for its serial number and thus had some left over Colt parts in it. It featured a Colt hammer and what I believe to be a lot of Colt internals.

The down side.... the cylinder retaining pin was almost impossible to get out. The pin had a flat ground on it in order to have it go into its retaining hole.

The cylinder was different from any other Colt SAA and had a problem with respect to quality of machining.

The Great Western forum will do nothing but brag the gun up and in reality the gun just isn't worth the money. If you have a chance to handle it then

check the items I have mentioned. I would pass on it and find a better clone Colt SSA. The Great Western is a problematic gun that requires all of your attention if you plan to shoot it. One thing to make sure of is that the cylinder actually lines up with the forcing cone because most of them have a problem in this area that can have you holding a mass of junk in your hand after you pull the trigger.

Boolit Master
    I'd love to find a Great Western in that condition for $400. I'd buy it.

Vendor Sponsor

You can't hardly buy a beat up Ruger for that kind of money, and those GW's aren't made anymore and haven't been for a long time, in the condition it's in, I'd say you won't likely get hurt over it even if you never fire it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    The point is you do not know the condition/parts fit unless you have a chance to examine one. The fact that they made them from 1953-1957 isn't important. Having one I can attest to the very poor parts fit. If and I will repeat the word if you happen to find one that the cylinder lines up correctly for all chambers and if the cylinder pin can be pulled out without resorting to the use of vice-grips and the pin hasn't been ground in order that it will align with its mating hole then and only then will you have something that will have some value when placed on a shelf and sold in 50 years. But then again its only my opinion from owning one. What do I know?

Boolit Grand Master
    Old junk is still junk, but I would consider taking a flight on that gun if I could carefully examine it. I had a .357 GW a few years back, and while the grips were pretty cheesy,--plastic imitation stag--it functioned ok. I got laid off when my company was bought out and I sold it, but for 400.00 Obama bucks, I might be a player--heck, that's only 40.00 in real money.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I have no idea... But here's a link to someone who claims to be an authority on them: http://greatwesternarmsco.com
    Thank you for that link!
    Very informative.

Uncle R.

I would by a minty Great Western for $400.00 in a heartbeat.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Get a Ruger and be happy!

GW had nothing but teething pains from start to finish. John Wayne had some $$ tied up in GW

Banned

id like to buy it too.

Boolit Master

Not junk. Late production .44 Magnum shot 23 grs 2400 235 gr cast by the HUNDREDS.

Wasn't for wimmin & children. It was a handful with full house .44 Magnum loads.

Thanks for the link and all the feedback guys great information. I think I am going to pass on it myself. Tom/GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"