WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Ruger 45 Casull, 45 Colt, 44 Magnum or 480 Ruger

Boolit Master
    I'm a huge fan of the 480, but unless you add moose and brown bears to the mix, I'd say the 44 and 45 are just as capable.

If I was to do it all over with what's currently available, I'd be hard pressed to pass up the 45 bisley convertible.

It does suffer the typical Ruger malady of needing a trigger job, but from a very short initial range session it seems like even with the heavy trigger to be a great shooter with either 45 acp or 45 colt. Something to be said for accurate mild practice loads with 200 gr swc 45 acp, and the 45 colt being loaded up to whatever level you deem necessary. I figure my wife's bisley will likely end up with a 454640 flat nose over 10 gr of unique for a working load, though I'll likely pick up a 300+ gr mold for heavy loads.

That said, the 480 srh has been the most accurate revolver I've every shot, and as mentioned 400 gr @ 1200 fps is at the same shootable recoil level of a 44 with 300's or a 45 with 330's. I've shot enough 475's and 500's to know adding a wee bit more lead and powder results in a level of recoil that is at a different level and is much more difficult to master. That and if 400 gr @ 1200 fps isn't enough, I'll take a rifle thank you very much!

I used to have 44 mag and large frame 45 Colt Bisley revolvers. I had a 454 SRH for fishing in Alaska.

But I decided to sell all those and get a new Bisley flat top in 44 Special and a Montado in 45 Colt, both made on the medium frame Ruger. Both of those are plently for deer and black bear down here and carry a lot easier.

I figure I'll step up and get a SRH in 480 Ruger for those fishing trips in Alaska. Since it's for bear problems, I prefer a double action revolver and I'll eventually get it cut back to about 4-1/2" so it packs and draws better.

Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    If I was to do it all over with what's currently available, I'd be hard pressed to pass up the 45 bisley convertible.

I thought posting p0rn was against the rules here Seriously stop though, I already have one in blued and now after seeing this I want it in stainless. You are ruining my will power and gun budget with posts like that
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Curious as to how a .45 Colt won't equal a .44? Accuracy wise maybe? Power is pretty easy to equal a .44, and if the gun's strong enough, it blows right on by a .44 mag. 30% greater case capacity makes that pretty easy.
    Not so, my 335 gr and 320 gr boolits in the Colt run around 1160 fps and do work. But the .44 can reach over 1300 fps with the same weights. Thin walls of the Ruger are strong but can't be shot long with .44 pressures. Now a five shot is different.
    True a larger case has less pressure for velocity but to push it is not sane. If you want to run a .45, get a 5 shot. It is still not a .454. Steel used is not the same.
    I have never run a .45 to match a .44 mag. Why anyway? The .45 works as is.

Boolit Master

If I wanted a gun for all I would go to the 460 and load for any of the above mentioned.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Not so, my 335 gr and 320 gr boolits in the Colt run around 1160 fps and do work. But the .44 can reach over 1300 fps with the same weights. Thin walls of the Ruger are strong but can't be shot long with .44 pressures. Now a five shot is different.
    True a larger case has less pressure for velocity but to push it is not sane. If you want to run a .45, get a 5 shot. It is still not a .454. Steel used is not the same.
    The 45 six shot Ruger's can safely drive the same weight bullets the velocity as the 44 mag, and there is plenty of published data attesting to that fact.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm

My my, 310 gr cast, 23 gr H-110, 1330 fps, 30,000 cup.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    I thought posting p0rn was against the rules here Seriously stop though, I already have one in blued and now after seeing this I want it in stainless. You are ruining my will power and gun budget with posts like that
    Not my picture, just the best one I came across with google

The only change I'm contemplating is green micarta grips and having it roundbutted.

Boolit Master
    Short answer: Double action 44 magnum.
    I love my Original Size 44 magnum Vaqueros BUT operating one under life threatening stress could be a problem. Double action solves that problem. Gun of your choice in an easily carried barrel length.
    44 magnum might not be as powerful as others mentioned BUT it is controllable and in-expensive to shoot compared to the others. I'd load it with #429352 clones from the Blammer group buy mould from Old West and practice double action shooting.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm. Might want to try it in a different gun. I have 2 S&W Mountain guns in .44 mag, and .45 Colt. The 44 ran a 315 gr., the .45 ran a 320. The Fps. was virtually identical, even though the Colt had to run lower pressure due to the thinner cylinder. In the last 7-1/2" Ruger .45 I worked with, I hit over 1,300+ fps easily with a 310 gr. and H-110. I quit when I saw the velocity readings, but it was still super easy extraction, perfect looking primers, etc.

Boolit Grand Master

The 45 six shot Ruger's can safely drive the same weight bullets the velocity as the 44 mag, and there is plenty of published data attesting to that fact.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm

My my, 310 gr cast, 23 gr H-110, 1330 fps, 30,000 cup.
    I have tried several of the loads on this chart although not to the top end. When you put 24gr H110 under a 260gr boolit you know you have a gun in your hand and the near max of 2400 makes an impressive fireball and noise. I also used a 7.5in BH and the cases came out easily with no evidence of primer flattening or brass damage.

I have to say, though, if your getting into the very top end for some reason arguing over a 44mag vs 45Colt is the wrong argument. Your argument for more power should be handgun vs rifle
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    You should try 24 gr H-110 under a 400 gr in a 480 with a bullet designed to use the full length of the cylinder. 400 grs @ 1300+ fps, make sure you have a firm grip

Boolit Grand Master

You should try 24 gr H-110 under a 400 gr in a 480 with a bullet designed to use the full length of the cylinder. 400 grs @ 1300+ fps, make sure you have a firm grip
    Uh......it's all you big guy! No desire to go down that road for any reason.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Curious as to how a .45 Colt won't equal a .44? Accuracy wise maybe? Power is pretty easy to equal a .44, and if the gun's strong enough, it blows right on by a .44 mag. 30% greater case capacity makes that pretty easy.
    That case size removes a lot of metal from the cylinder, making a 44 the stronger gun, all else being equal. But as I creep into my 60's, I no longer hotrod standard cartridges. If I die tomorrow, I don't want someone stuffing a "Ruger Only" load into a Uberti. For that reason, I'd choose the 44 magnum. The 454 is overkill, the 45 Colt is only in the argument if you hand load and risk leaving a bomb lying around, and the 480 only comes in large heavy packages. Plus, comes the day when you are 200 miles from home and the ammo bag is still on the back porch where you left it, a trip to the Local sporting goods store will likely score you a box of 44 ammo. 480, 454 not so much.
    My thoughts on the topic, but others have their preferences, and can make a strong case for them.
    If grizzlies were in the conversation, I'd give the 460 S&W Magnum the nod. I have only shot one, but accuracy was out standing with the full throttle 460 load, and very good with both the Casull and the Colt cartridges. Recoil was not as bad as some lesser cartridges fired from smaller guns. If they were not quite so expensive, I'd buy one. Not that I need one, but a really good gun is a joy to own. However I'd have to sell about three of my 44 magnums to pay for it. SWMBO gets touchy when the price of the gun gets up in that range.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    Don't know. I have both a Ruger Superblackhawk in .44 mag, and a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull. Either works.

Boolit Master
    I'm not much of a fan of the .454, but then mine was an Encore pistol and I was shooting 300 gr bullets at 1750 fps, over a chrony. The .480 SRH I had was really nice, with close to max loads of H110 and 400 gr cast bullets. If it had been a shorter barreled model I still would own it. Alas, I'm down to a Blackhawk convertible in .45, and a SRH in .44 mag. When I go hunting, so does the .44. Most other woods jaunts gets the Blackhawk with the RCBS 270-SAA bullet and a healthy dose of H110.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned

The point of my answer about hotter loads in the .45 is accuracy, not that it is weak. Loads shown are not needed or wanted because they serve no purpose if you can't hit anything. Recoil will do you in and with wood panels I doubt most could take 6 shots, had to put Pachmeyer's on my old Vaquero.
    I know how strong a Ruger is, a friend went to 30 gr of 296 behind a 335 LBT without sticking brass in his Vaquero. DANGER! Of what use? Better off with a .454. Don't ask how he got it all in there, I don't know.
    I use 21.5 gr with that boolit, any more and I can just throw the gun at the target. It is just not a .44 that runs all day with a 320 gr at 1316 fps with accuracy.

Groo here
    From your selection , I believe your looking at a double action maybe a shorter barrel.
    If so, I would go with a larger boolet,
    The 44 is "fun" from a 3in, a 454 "not so much", the 480and up can work at lighter loadings because of size and throw weight.
    I discounted the 45 colt as it is like a 44 or 45 at similar loadings,
    I always though the Alaskin 480 ruger was the best of the short barrels for big stuff.
    Have and shot all your selection , and the easier ones to shoot would best I think.
    This being said, for here east of the Mississippi , I go with a 41mag.

Boolit Master
    The point of my answer about hotter loads in the .45 is accuracy, not that it is weak. Loads shown are not needed or wanted because they serve no purpose if you can't hit anything. Recoil will do you in and with wood panels I doubt most could take 6 shots, had to put Pachmeyer's on my old Vaquero.
    I know how strong a Ruger is, a friend went to 30 gr of 296 behind a 335 LBT without sticking brass in his Vaquero. DANGER! Of what use? Better off with a .454. Don't ask how he got it all in there, I don't know.
    I use 21.5 gr with that boolit, any more and I can just throw the gun at the target. It is just not a .44 that runs all day with a 320 gr at 1316 fps with accuracy.
    The 310's at 1,300+ were actually the most accurate of all the loads tested. I was just shooting off the roof of the car with a sweatshirt for support, but they shot in 2" at 50 yds. In my current state of tune, I can't do any better. This was after a marathon lapping session to get rid of the massive frame choke. The 310's actually don't start shooting well until about 1,100 fps. It was an early LEE group buy mold, and it really hates going slow.

Boolit Grand Master

Not my picture, just the best one I came across with google

The only change I'm contemplating is green micarta grips and having it roundbutted.
    You google pictures of handguns? You are sick

Boolit Grand Master

30gr? Ouch. I'd never attempt that. What possessed him to go that high when Linebaugh only maxed at 23gr or so with a 310gr cast?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast