WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hammerhead slug from slugs 'r us

Boolit Grand Master

Just so you are aware, their sabots really only work with their hammerhead slugs. I tried a few different 50 caliber bullets, and all blew trough the bottom of the sabot. Unless something has changed, 44 cal will not work.

MSM: Thanks for the warning. If the wads don't work out as sabots I'll just add them to my ever expanding collection on the shelf. If I like the hammerheads I'll most likely buy the mould. Gp

It’s true, every .50 projectile I ran through them blew the base. Maybe you can try a faster burning powder.

I loved these so much, I bought the 12 and 20 ga mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I wandered on to the Sabot Technologies website while Googling sabots last week and I'm sitting here with Hammerheads, finished components (40 slugs/wads), mold, and sabots. This seems like the best bet yet. Someone mentioned breakeven point for the mold vs. the finished components; 193 shots, that being if you are not buying your lead.

It is definately a good, tight fit in the muzzle of my Marlin 512. This far as I want to push it.

`
    Michael

Boolit Grand Master

I'll bet those mic pretty large so they fit about anything and just squeeze down being plastic.

I'll also bet they shoot well for you. They have a reputation for good accuracy.

Did you get the mould or just order slugs to try?

Longbow

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Did you get the mould or just order slugs to try?
    I got them all of it. Two bags of completed sabots (20 each bag) to hold me until I have time to cast, and then the mold and 600 sabots.
    Michael

Boolit Grand Master

That oughta do you for a while! At least once you get to casting. Accumulated recoil form 600 rounds will be substantial! Go easy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    That oughta do you for a while! At least once you get to casting. Accumulated recoil form 600 rounds will be substantial! Go easy.
    I figure that is about a lifetime worth of shooting. My worry about a small business, based on my business, is one day they shut down. If they shoot well downrange, I will probably buy another mold to keep just incase.
    Michael

Boolit Grand Master

Same problem with those Russian slug moulds that more or less copy Gualandi DGS slugs, Dixie Tusker and Paradox slugs but with attached wads. The slugs look great and the moulds are said to be quite good but if a guy can't get the special wads he's kinda out of luck!

I think the same thing happened with some sabots for rifle and handgun boolits to be used in shotguns. They came on the scene then disappeared. I'd think it is a limited market.

That's where a full bore slug or wad slug for standard trap wads and a rifled barrel seem like the best idea.

Longbow

Banned

Well the thing with the Russian tail wads is to find a importer to import the wads from Italy. That's it. They will sell them to what ever importer that has the right paper work in place. Ballistic Products already imports them to the USA but they will not sell them to us because they want to sell us their slugs. So we need a workaround. And I may have one. I just have to talk to the guy. I just need to find time to get a hold of him.

I've been thinking I might cut down a couple of my Hammerhead slug sabots a bit and try firing some .735 round balls perched on top of them. Hoping this might help keeping the ball centered as the sabots are a lot more ridged than trap style wads. Not much lost trying just to see. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

I tried 0.735" RB's on Winchester wads with petals cut off (cushion leg only) with poor results. Same with plastic gas seal, hard card wads then fiber wad under the ball... thinking the fiber wad would form fit. Poor results again.

Went to plastic gas seal, hard card wads and nitro card wad under the ball and that did it!

Longbow

This is was I use to center roundballs in the hull.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/HB...tinfo/072HB12/

Boolit Grand Master

Those would do it too! I tried to order some from the Canadian BPI distributor but he couldn't figure out what they were!?! I cave him the part number from the BPI site but he was still unsure of what they were. I'm guessing he had never had a request for them before but still... a quick look at the BPI site would tell the tale. I'll be trying again with my next order.

Yeah I spoke with him at a gun show, even showed him the things in the catalog and he wasn't familiar with them Longbow. Not a big seller I guess. lol

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I'll try again on my next order which should be soon. I am running low on supplies!

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    This is was I use to center roundballs in the hull.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/HB...tinfo/072HB12/
    Those look like they would work well. They are listed as "out of stock" but maybe they'll get more in. Hope so. Gp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Those look like they would work well. They are listed as "out of stock" but maybe they'll get more in. Hope so. Gp
    Must have been a good year for BPI, everything I look for is out of stock.
    Michael

I use these to center RB’s too.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/mo...uctinfo/02012/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

With round balls coming up next on my shotgun reloading schedule, I could use this 20 gauge seal to support a Lee .69" ball inside the cup of a 12 gauge pressure wad?

Michael

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast